PDA

View Full Version : Obama speech: All promises, no details

Little-Acorn
02-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Pretty much what I expected. He's only been Prez for a month, and it's the hardest job in the world. He told us he's going to accomplish marvelous things - that's what any politician says this early. And he never gave any details about how they would be done, what would be done to cure the problems that will inevitably crop up along the way, etc.

He said he would reform Health Care, which is certainly a field that could do with some reform. When a liberal says that, they usually mean massive government intrusion, restrictions, and bureaucracies. But Obama gave no details, so we'll see on that one.

He also said he would increase the military, raise their pay, etc. That's excellent. If he does it, he'll be the first liberal since FDR to pull it off. Pretty much all military increases have come from conservatives so far. We'll see how Obama does here.

Very few details on the economy. Again, I'm not surprised. A month of study on a problem that has been getting worse for 80 years and has defied all fixes to date, will barely scratch the surface. And he has spent all his time before that campaigning, not studying the problem.

A couple odd things did jump out at me. He declared flatly that he wasn't for Big Government. That's like Paul Bunyan declaring at age 25, that he wasn't interested in logging... after clearing the entire upper Midwest of trees. Maybe he said it so that people would be so surprised, they'd be distracted from other parts of the speech?

And he said he would sign budgets that have no earmarks. This after already signing one massive bill that had more earmarks than any in the history of the world (literally!), and with a budget bill headed for his desk in a few days that will come in a close second.

Barry, you're just starting in this game, we know. Nobody expects miracles from you in the first month. And as I said, it's the hardest job in the world, no matter who is doing it.

But you really need to cut down on the flat lies. There's no point to them. People who are looking to you for leadership, will be put off by them (note the Dow's reaction today - it has no confidence after your speech). Even the people who support you, won't stretch so far as to give you any credence.

What, exactly, is the upside of saying those two things? I can't see ANY.

Over all, basically it was a rah-rah speech, telling people he's on the job and to be patient with him, which is about all any President can give after only one month in office. "Stick with me, I'll make it better". Except for those two odd, jarring notes.

And there was one humorous part. He said he intended to cut the deficit in half. He said this, only days after signing a bill that tripled it. The math can be left as an exercise for the class... but you have to admire his sense of humor, all the same.

Over all, the jury will be out, until we start seeing the details and/or results. Or lack of them.

DannyR
02-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Yup, never understood the purpose of such cheerleading speeches. Bush had a few himself, with similar results. Generally if you're president and coming before the people, you need to give solid information.

DannyR
02-25-2009, 11:57 AM
He also said he would increase the military, raise their pay, etc. That's excellent. If he does it, he'll be the first liberal since FDR to pull it off.

Not quite true. Generally military pay increases every year anyway. Clinton increased the military base pay by the following amounts in his budgets during his terms:

2.2% FY 1994
2.6% FY 1995
2.4% FY 1996
3.1% FY 1997
2.8% FY 1998
3.1% FY 1999
4.4% FY 2000
3.7% FY 2001

Joe Steel
02-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Yup, never understood the purpose of such cheerleading speeches. Bush had a few himself, with similar results. Generally if you're president and coming before the people, you need to give solid information.

In an hour?

That's unreasonable. He didn't have time to give a complete explanation of his plans. He did have time to be a leader, to tell us where he wants to go. That's what he did.

hjmick
02-25-2009, 01:38 PM
In an hour?

That's unreasonable. He didn't have time to give a complete explanation of his plans. He did have time to be a leader, to tell us where he wants to go. That's what he did.

Funny, he had two years on the campaign trail to give us details. Didn't get any.

He had a couple of months after the election to give us details. Didn't get any.

He's had five weeks in the big chair to give us details. Haven't gotten any.

When do we get details?

Joe Steel
02-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Funny, he had two years on the campaign trail to give us details. Didn't get any.

He had a couple of months after the election to give us details. Didn't get any.

He's had five weeks in the big chair to give us details. Haven't gotten any.

When do we get details?

Soon.

As the legislation is written and debated in Congress, the details will become available.

Be patient.

Reagan and both Bushes had years and years to screw-up America. Fixing it is going to take a little time.

LiberalNation
02-25-2009, 02:17 PM
I didn't watch the speech but heard it was good.

glockmail
02-25-2009, 02:33 PM
I didn't watch the speech but heard it was good.
Yeah it was fucking great kid now go back to licking clams.

Sitarro
02-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Every time I see this guy I think he's an actor playing the roll of President ......... George Soros is obviously the director and Joe "aneurysm" Biden is just a brain dead imbecile that doesn't qualify to work at Home Depot.

LiberalNation
02-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Yeah it was fucking great kid now go back to licking clams.
Cool, just as long as it was good. You should be inspired.

glockmail
02-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Cool, just as long as it was good. You should be inspired. Yeah I'm inspired enough to transfer at least 1/2 of my stock portfolio into gold. :slap: