PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post - Southerners are Slavery-Loving, Racists

red states rule
02-26-2009, 08:42 AM
According to the Washingotn Compost, slavery loving racists live in the South

It doesn't matter Obama got most of the popular vote, which means most of the white vote, liberals are still harping on the idea that whites are racists

Dispite the fact, America elected a black President - libs still play the race card more then they did before the world even heard of Obama

The Red, the Blue and the Gray

The extraordinary coincidence of the first African American president taking office a few weeks before Abraham Lincoln's 200th birthday is just one of the many links between Barack Obama and the Great Emancipator.

Obama himself has promoted the sense of that connection: He launched his presidential campaign from Lincoln's hometown of Springfield, Ill., and took the oath of office with his left hand on one of Lincoln's Bibles.

But there is another striking parallel: Obama carried every state that Lincoln won 148 years earlier -- and the percentage of the white vote that he received, or didn't receive, in all the states that existed in Lincoln's day suggests that 144 years after Appomattox, the legacy of slavery and the Civil War continue to cast a heavy shadow over the South.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/warner-todd-huston/2009/02/26/wapo-southerners-are-slavery-loving-racists

DannyR
02-26-2009, 10:18 AM
It doesn't matter Obama got most of the popular vote, which means most of the white vote, liberals are still harping on the idea that whites are racists

Ah, but Obama didn't win most of the popular vote when it comes to the south. Thus the point of their argument.

And its not only liberals who harp on this. On another board, I argued strongly with a very staunch conservative who was convinced Obama couldn't win the Presidency because there was no way he'd ever win the south, because the south wouldn't elect a black man. His prediction for the most part was true. Obama didn't win the south, and the majority of whites didn't vote for him here.

As a Southerner myself, I won't go so far as to say most whites are racist. But I think you're fooling yourself if you believe racism doesn't still play a roll down here. My mother-in-law still locks her car doors if she see's a black man walking down the sidewalk toward her, even if the guy is dressed in suit and tie.

Its not overt racism as we saw in the past, but there is still some fear there I think, and that will remain until that generation is gone I believe.

red states rule
02-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Ah, but Obama didn't win most of the popular vote when it comes to the south. Thus the point of their argument.

And its not only liberals who harp on this. On another board, I argued strongly with a very staunch conservative who was convinced Obama couldn't win the Presidency because there was no way he'd ever win the south, because the south wouldn't elect a black man. His prediction for the most part was true. Obama didn't win the south, and the majority of whites didn't vote for him here.

As a Southerner myself, I won't go so far as to say most whites are racist. But I think you're fooling yourself if you believe racism doesn't still play a roll down here. My mother-in-law still locks her car doors if she see's a black man walking down the sidewalk toward her, even if the guy is dressed in suit and tie.

Its not overt racism as we saw in the past, but there is still some fear there I think, and that will remain until that generation is gone I believe.

The media conveniently gloss over the historical fact that the racist, slave holding states were also democrat controlled. As a matter of fact, most of the tragic events in our own history involved democrats - slavery and the Great Depression.

Including the fact it took a war to end slavery because every time a measure was brought up before Congress against slavery DEMOCRATS would filibuster and block it.

It took the most bloody war America has ever seen to end it, because Democrats refused to let it end peacefully.

DannyR
02-26-2009, 10:34 AM
The media conveniently gloss over the historical fact that the racist, slave holding states were also democrat controlled.

True enough. But "Southern Democrat" is synonymous with conservative, and most of them bolted to the Republican party when the democrats started pushing civil rights in the 1960's.

Comparing today's democratic party to the Southern Democrats of the 19th and early 20th century is a pretty silly argument. They are nothing alike. And how does this pertain to the topic at hand?

Mr. P
02-26-2009, 11:03 AM

That's NOT racist...in Atlanta that's just smart!

Now seriously, I think the term "racist" has been hijacked by the left much as the confederate flag was by the KKK.

It's common now that "Racist" now includes "prejudice" and "Bigotry" all three are distinctly different.

DannyR
02-26-2009, 11:10 AM
That's NOT racist...in Atlanta that's just smart!
She doesn't live in Atlanta, but the heart of the state.

It's common now that "Racist" now includes "prejudice" and "Bigotry" all three are distinctly different.
Ok, I grant you that. Good point there.

sgtdmski
03-03-2009, 06:05 AM
True enough. But "Southern Democrat" is synonymous with conservative, and most of them bolted to the Republican party when the democrats started pushing civil rights in the 1960's.

Comparing today's democratic party to the Southern Democrats of the 19th and early 20th century is a pretty silly argument. They are nothing alike. And how does this pertain to the topic at hand?

The point was made that today the South remains racist, and since it was made by a history professor, it would seem that history is central to the idea. Not to mention that the article sought to seek out the comparison between Barrack Obama and Abraham Lincoln (First President from the Republican Party).

So I think that it is only fitting and right that remind the Democrats of their racist origin and the fact that following the Civil War, the KKK was the terrorist army of the Southern Democrats.

But if you wish to talk about more recent Democrats, I can do that as well. Remember it was the Republican Party that did not support a former KKK member who was running for governor as a Republican. However, it was the Democrats who called a former member of the KKK the heart and soul of their party in the Senate.

But let us take one of the Democrats iconic figures: JFK. To listen to JFK speak today one might call him a Republican.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

We dare not tempt them with weakness. For only when our arms are sufficient beyond doubt can we be certain beyond doubt that they will never be employed.

In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shrink from this responsibility—I welcome it. I do not believe that any of us would exchange places with any other people or any other generation. The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavor will light our country and all who serve it—and the glow from that fire can truly light the world. 24

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country.

Hmmmm, no self-righteous Democrat today would ever dare to ask people to do for their country, today they are the ones telling people that it is only their country that can do for them.

No self-righteous Democrat today would ever dare admit that we would go to war simply for the freedom of one people from tyranny from another, no today they will be calling it an illegal war and demanding the President be punished for war crimes.

So as a Republican I will gladly take your 1960's Democrats, for they include both Strom Thurmond and JFK.

From now forward, please remember, that JFK truly belongs with the Republicans.

dmk

DannyR
03-03-2009, 10:08 PM
From now forward, please remember, that JFK truly belongs with the Republicans.Since when was JFK ever a southerner? Bit off topic don't you think?

And face it, if JFK were president today, Republicans wouldn't support a word he said. Going to the moon would be ridiculous spending. Raising awareness about Russia and Cuba would be him trying to distract attention from his womanizing ways! Marilyn's "suspicious" death would be laid at his hands... what was he trying to cover up? What did she know that demanded she be silenced? :laugh2:

sgtdmski
03-04-2009, 04:04 AM
Since when was JFK ever a southerner? Bit off topic don't you think?

And face it, if JFK were president today, Republicans wouldn't support a word he said. Going to the moon would be ridiculous spending. Raising awareness about Russia and Cuba would be him trying to distract attention from his womanizing ways! Marilyn's "suspicious" death would be laid at his hands... what was he trying to cover up? What did she know that demanded she be silenced? :laugh2:

No, I think it is right on point. You wanted to throw the barb in the face of history after being confronted by the fact that many of the democrats in the south were the racists trying to first keep slavery and then later the Jim Crow laws by making the comment about how some of them became Republicans, once again trying to perpetrate that myth that Republicans are racist. It was a nice try though, so I decided to throw the barb at you about the fact that today, although JFK remains an icon of the Democrats he would in no way fit into the modern Democrat party.

No, today JFK wouldn't get anywhere especially as a Republican because the press would be all over him unlike how they kept his secrets during the 1960's. I am sure that inauguration day in January 1961 the mainstream media all had their collective orgasm as he gave his inauguration day speech, much the same way they all had the collective orgasm as Obama was given his speech this year.

I remember watching the news commentary on CNN and looking at the smiles and the glazed over eyes, all that was missing was the hand behind the head and the cigarette.

dmk