PDA

View Full Version : Employment application question

jimnyc
02-26-2009, 10:28 AM
I just finished filling out an EXTREMELY long evaluation test for a job I am applying for. One of the questions was rather odd, and they stated that Microsoft actually asks this question of applicants to see their thought process. I know how I answered it, but I would like to see how others would. How would you answer the following:

Develop an estimate of how many gas stations there are in the United States. Show how you derived your number. If you can’t do the estimate without further information, let us know how you would get that information.

LiberalNation
02-26-2009, 10:52 AM
need furthe info, stupid question. Estimates don't have to be exact so I would take the number of average gas stations per square mile in the US and the total square miles of US territory and caculate a bullshit answer.

DannyR
02-26-2009, 10:52 AM
LiberalNation, do you know how many gas stations there are per square mile or total square miles of the USA off the top of your head? If you do, then thats a good enough way to figure out the problem as well. But I'm guessing you probably don't have that info. The point of the question is to find out how you think and get an idea of your problem solving skills.

For example:

Since I have no clue on how many gas stations there are, I'd have to take a guess based on what I know.

I know there are 300+ million people in the USA, corresponding to 100 million families or so. Each family on average has a car and needs gas.

In our neighborhood, there are 3 gas stations serving us, which seems pretty average from what I've seen. There are probably about a 1000 homes near these stations, each housing a family. We live in a suburban area, so again I'd guess this is about average, balancing denser populations found in cities vs scattered population found in rural areas.

Ergo, 3 gas stations * 100 million families / 1000 = estimate of total gas stations.

That gives an estimate of 300,000 gas stations.

Turns out I'm off by a factor of two. Actual number is between 150K and 200K.

LiberalNation
02-26-2009, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't know the number of people off the top of my head either or how many gas stations might service how many people in my neighborhood.

Mr. P
02-26-2009, 11:30 AM
My estimate..would be based on....

X refinery's produce X gallons/mo, distributed to X distribution points which distribute X gals/mo to retailers, which have X gal/tanks by X/number tanks....

So when you plug in the X numbers the number of stations needed will = Y.

Now to get X I'd contact the petroleum industry folk that have that info.

I think the question is designed to see if you would take a wild ass guess or attempt a reasonably estimate. It's a problem solving indicator.

PostmodernProphet
02-26-2009, 11:33 AM
I would hire LN before I hired Danny.....he tried to come to a conclusion without adequate data and got the wrong answer....as an employer I would prefer a person who knew when and where they needed additional information before acting......

DannyR
02-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Now to get X I'd contact the petroleum industry folk that have that info.

If you have to ask all those questions for each X, wouldn't it be easier to just ask "How many gas stations are there?" *lol*

You've made the problem incredibly harder.

I would hire LN before I hired Danny.....he tried to come to a conclusion without adequate data and got the wrong answer....as an employer I would prefer a person who knew when and where they needed additional information before acting......Hmmm, I found my answer to be pretty darn close. Its an estimate, not a exact number.

LN's answer isn't an estimate btw. Look at what he's asking for. Average gas stations per square mile and # of square miles. He might as well just ask for the # of stations directly as well, as multiply the two together and you get that number.

Mr. P
02-26-2009, 11:36 AM
If you have to ask all those questions for each X, wouldn't it be easier to just ask "How many gas stations are there?" *lol*

You've made the problem incredibly harder.

Not at all harder..just more accurate.

jimnyc
02-26-2009, 11:43 AM
You are all almost correct - in the fact that they aren't really looking for a "correct" answer. For such an in-depth question that would take a ton of research and calculation, they are curious as to how your mind operates and in which route you would take to find an answer. The most logical sounding answer would be the best answer, not necessarily the most complicated equation.

In comparing this question to a technical question pertaining to computers, they want to see which route your mind takes in order to determine the "fix". How you would go about getting further information is just as important as the answer itself. They don't expect anyone to know a calculation off the top of their head to know the answer, but they would like to know you have the skills to properly search for an answer.

DannyR
02-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Not at all harder..just more accurate.True, but the purpose of an estimate is to quickly obtain a reasonable ballpark answer within a short amount of time.

If you're taking the time to do the research, then its no longer an estimate.

I would prefer a person who knew when and where they needed additional information before acting
I've always thought that if someone wants an estimate, then it means they expect the answer not to be exact, but reasonably close. If you balk at the question and say you can't come up with such an estimate, then you aren't doing them any good either.

PostmodernProphet
02-26-2009, 11:55 AM
I've always thought that if someone wants an estimate, then it means they expect the answer not to be exact, but reasonably close. If you balk at the question and say you can't come up with such an estimate, then you aren't doing them any good either.

oh stop whining....just because I wouldn't hire you doesn't mean you can't find work sweeping floors somewhere..../mutters "danged liberals always think they're entitled to things".....

Mr. P
02-26-2009, 11:55 AM
You are all almost correct - in the fact that they aren't really looking for a "correct" answer. For such an in-depth question that would take a ton of research and calculation, they are curious as to how your mind operates and in which route you would take to find an answer. The most logical sounding answer would be the best answer, not necessarily the most complicated equation.

In comparing this question to a technical question pertaining to computers, they want to see which route your mind takes in order to determine the "fix". How you would go about getting further information is just as important as the answer itself. They don't expect anyone to know a calculation off the top of their head to know the answer, but they would like to know you have the skills to properly search for an answer.

That's what I was thinking.

DannyR
02-26-2009, 11:57 AM
oh stop whining....just because I wouldn't hire you doesn't mean you can't find work sweeping floors somewhere..../mutters "danged liberals always think they're entitled to things".....I don't do windows. :laugh2:

Mr. P
02-26-2009, 11:57 AM
oh stop whining....just because I wouldn't hire you doesn't mean you can't find work sweeping floors somewhere..../mutters "danged liberals always think they're entitled to things".....

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Immanuel
02-26-2009, 01:41 PM
It is actually a very good question for a job application. The important thing is not if you are close to the correct answer or even the process you would take to find the answer. The important thing is can you handle the task of having to find an answer to a difficult problem without freaking out.

Immie

hjmick
02-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Just tell them you'd http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/images/logo.gif it.

Yurt
02-26-2009, 09:52 PM
i just finished filling out an extremely long evaluation test for a job i am applying for. One of the questions was rather odd, and they stated that microsoft actually asks this question of applicants to see their thought process. I know how i answered it, but i would like to see how others would. How would you answer the following:

google!

hjmick beat me to it...

manu1959
02-26-2009, 10:54 PM
i would ask for a computer and an internet connection and google it .....

hjmick
02-26-2009, 10:55 PM
google!

hjmick beat me to it...

And I included graphics!

Yurt
02-26-2009, 10:59 PM
And I included graphics!

then you definitely have the job...

manu1959
02-26-2009, 11:02 PM
when i interview people i give a little lego car to build....and i tell them i have no interest in their portfolio.....i just visit with them.....

hjmick
02-26-2009, 11:03 PM
when i interview people i give a little lego car to build....and i tell them i have no interest in their portfolio.....i just visit with them.....

Are you hiring?

hjmick
02-26-2009, 11:10 PM

Are you hiring?

Wait... Are you the Park Administrator for Lego Land?

Mr. P
02-26-2009, 11:12 PM

Give me some Lincoln logs or an erector set an we can talk. Legos are fer kids.

hjmick
02-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Give me some Lincoln logs or an erector set an we can talk. Legos are fer kids.

Oh hell yes! For me it was Tinker Toys, followed by Lincoln Logs, then the motorized Erector Set. The progression of my youth.

emmett
02-26-2009, 11:27 PM
I don't do windows. :laugh2:

I do! How much does it pay?

As to the question Jim asked! I estimate there are 167,294 retail petrolium stations in the United States. I calculated the number based on a quick tabulation of my guess as to how many exits there were on Interstates in the United States, that info is easily accesable in only seconds. I multiplied that by three. I then added 50,000, 1000 for each state to cover additionals. Then I plucked a number of what I figured I might have missed and added it. It would havbe been my answer immediately! If asked how I arrived at my answer I would have said it was a guess because that is exactly what it is. A guess. That is what they asked me to do.... guess.

Now if they wanted to know the methodology of how I arrived at the answer I would explain. Had I been asked to conduct a more in depth research and give an actual count, of course I would have done the work and got the exact amount by checking business licenses for dispensing locations in the United States, I don't know at the moment where that info is avail but I would find it if necessary.

I'm curious Jim... how did you answer?

DannyR
02-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Of course all the above is wrong.

As stated, this question originated with Microsoft.

Thus pretend to write down something, but quickly trash it and throw it away, drawing the following to replace it:
http://www.meryl.net/articles/images/win_error.gif

PostmodernProphet
02-27-2009, 07:57 AM
http://www.meryl.net/articles/images/win_error.gif

wrong yourself....the job you were applying for at Microsoft was the position of the guy who received the email when people actually contact Microsoft about the error......which verifies several other posts here, since those people definitely are more at home with legos, tinker toys and erector sets than they are with computers.....

Immanuel
02-27-2009, 03:42 PM

Are you hiring?

That should be the second question... first is how much do you pay?

Immie