PDA

View Full Version : Among the Young Conservatives

actsnoblemartin
03-01-2009, 09:27 PM
http://www.newsweek.com/id/187113?GT1=43002

It's 9:15 a.m. on Friday morning. Most college students across America are still hitting the snooze button. But here, in the ballroom of the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington, D.C., thousands of young people are standing and cheering for Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell. "Some people call this the conservative spring break," said the 67-year-old senator from Kentucky.

I am at the second day of the 2009 Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC). The conference, which began in 1973, is hosted by the American Conservative Union. This year's events are anticipated to draw some 9,000 people, up from 7,000 last year, which would make this the largest CPAC in history. The series of lectures, panels, film screenings and receptions is ground zero for young conservatives. While Obama claims the majority of hearts and minds at many universities, here the fashion du jour includes PRESERVE TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE stickers and DON'T BLAME ME—I VOTED FOR SARAH! tote bags. They've come from all over America to listen to the likes of Ann Coulter, Mitt Romney and Rush Limbaugh sing the praises of conservatism and set the Republican Party's agenda for the coming years.

Noir
03-01-2009, 09:36 PM
"Dont blame me, I voted for Sarah"

...and there was me thinking McCain was the republician choice for president, then again, I'm a eurofag, what would I know?

5stringJeff
03-02-2009, 07:54 PM
"Dont blame me, I voted for Sarah"

...and there was me thinking McCain was the republician choice for president, then again, I'm a eurofag, what would I know?

No Republican will admit to voting for McCain - including many Republicans on here.

glockmail
03-02-2009, 08:31 PM
No Republican will admit to voting for McCain - including many Republicans on here.My policy, for the general election, is to vote for the least liberal candidate that has a chance of winning. In other words, I voted for Mickey.

5stringJeff
03-02-2009, 08:32 PM
My policy, for the general election, is to vote for the least liberal candidate that has a chance of winning. In other words, I voted for Mickey.

My policy is to vote for the candidate that reflects my views. Neither Obama nor McCain fit the bill.

glockmail
03-02-2009, 08:41 PM
My policy is to vote for the candidate that reflects my views. Neither Obama nor McCain fit the bill. No one fits my views perfectly. The time to register your protest vote for Bob Barr or Alan Keyes or the tall dude with the eye tick is in the primary. In the general election its better to hold your nose and vote against the one that you disagree with more. If more people did that we wouldn't be in this crappy economic situation.

Of course, when Obama fucks up this country like Carter did we may all be better off in four years if a conservative fills the void like Reagan did, so who's to say who's opinion is right? I can't predict the future.

03-02-2009, 08:51 PM
My policy is to vote for the candidate that reflects my views. Neither Obama nor McCain fit the bill.

The only candidate that would ever fit my views is: Me.

Unfortunately, i dont think I can win every election.

sgtdmski
03-03-2009, 06:24 AM
This is the first time in 3 years that I missed CPAC. I hated missing Rush this year, but work called. I am hoping to return next year, hopefully Sarah will be invited to speak, and I can't wait to show off my Coldest State!!! Hottest Governor!!!! Shirt.

dmk