PDA

View Full Version : Jindal lied? How about Obama lied!

jimnyc
03-02-2009, 09:18 AM
What's worse, someone who "lied" about a timeline, or someone who lies to the nation to get elected President and then approves pork for his buddies in congress? He's been making headlines for claiming he will cut this spending but in reality he's just another tax/spend lying liberal!

Obama will sign spending bill despite earmarks

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama will break a campaign pledge against congressional earmarks and sign a budget bill laden with millions in lawmakers' pet projects, administration officials said.

Administration budget chief Peter Orszag and White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel both downplayed the $410 billion spending bill and signaled Obama would hold his nose and sign it.

Orszag said: "We want to just move on. Let's get this bill done, get it into law and move forward."

Said Emanuel: "That's last year's business."

The House last week passed the measure that would keep the government running through Sept. 30, when the federal budget year ends. Taxpayers for Common Sense, a watchdog group, identified almost 8,600 earmarks totaling $7.7 billion; Democrats say the number is $3.8 billion.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090302/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_spending

jimnyc
03-02-2009, 09:20 AM
7.7 billion or 3.8 billion - either way it's a disgusting amount for someone to spend who claimed to want to clean up Washington of this spending.

Noir
03-02-2009, 09:25 AM
how big is the bill? If I recall correctly it's $800 billion (though I may be getting this mixed up with other bills/bail-outs ect) but if it is the $800 billion on then pork ranges from 0.5% to 1% which is tiny.

jimnyc
03-02-2009, 09:26 AM
how big is the bill? If I recall correctly it's $800 billion (though I may be getting this mixed up with other bills/bail-outs ect) but if it is the $800 billion on then pork ranges from 0.5% to 1% which is tiny.

billions of dollars is NOT tiny - nor does it change the fact that he LIED.

jimnyc
03-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Let me also add that there are 9,000 earmarks in this bill - 9,000! Thats is not honoring his word, that is lying and cheating those he gave his word to.

red states rule
03-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Let me also add that there are 9,000 earmarks in this bill - 9,000! Thats is not honoring his word, that is lying and cheating those he gave his word to.

The Dow is now below 7,000 - God knows how low it will go. I hope the people who voted for Obama is enjoying the change

I knew Obama would be another Carter - but it looks like he will much worse then Carter. Obama will inflict severe damage on the country. Damage that may take years to recover from after he leaves office in 2012

moderate democrat
03-02-2009, 09:36 AM

Obama is finding out that laws and sausage are two things you really don't want to watch being made.

jimnyc
03-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Obama is finding out that laws and sausage are two things you really don't want to watch being made.

After hearing for the past week about how Jindal is a "liar", what is your take on Obama's PROMISES and now passing a bill with 9,000 earmarks? Is there a double standard on what politicians say to the people, or did Obama lie?

moderate democrat
03-02-2009, 09:40 AM
After hearing for the past week about how Jindal is a "liar", what is your take on Obama's PROMISES and now passing a bill with 9,000 earmarks? Is there a double standard on what politicians say to the people, or did Obama lie?

I, for one, have not jumped on the Jindal lied bandwagon... he embellished the truth a bit in order to make a more compelling story for a speech. That's not that big a deal as far as I am concerned.

Obama promised what he thought he could deliver... but clearly cannot, in regards to cleaning up the legislative process. Congress has real power, and they know it and they (folks from BOTH sides) are quite willing to exercise that power for the good of their constituents - and thus, their own reelection prospects... thus earmarks.

red states rule
03-02-2009, 09:41 AM
I, for one, have not jumped on the Jindal lied bandwagon... he embellished the truth a bit in order to make a more compelling story for a speech. That's not that big a deal as far as I am concerned.

Obama promised what he thought he could deliver... but clearly cannot, in regards to cleaning up the legislative process. Congress has real power, and they know it and they (folks from BOTH sides) are quite willing to exercise that power for the good of their constituents - and thus, their own reelection prospects... thus earmarks.

I have yet to hear Obama tell the Dems to lay off the earmarks. Or even talk about taking out the veto pen

Seems Pelosi and Reid are running Capital Hill, and the manchild sits back and does what he is told

PostmodernProphet
03-02-2009, 09:42 AM

not watching Congress is what got us in this mess in the first place.....

jimnyc
03-02-2009, 09:43 AM

Did Obama have the ability to honor his WORD and veto the bill if he wanted to, in order to honor his WORD to the American people? Did he or did he not promise transparency and to put an end to the wasteful spending?

Slice it and dice it anyway you like - but it's now a FACT that he lied, went back on his promise, didn't honor his WORD.

My Dad taught me growing up that the most important thing a man possesses is his word, that it's gold and can very rarely be recovered once you stop honoring it.

red states rule
03-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Here is a site that tracks all the promises Obama made.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/

moderate democrat
03-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Did Obama have the ability to honor his WORD and veto the bill if he wanted to, in order to honor his WORD to the American people? Did he or did he not promise transparency and to put an end to the wasteful spending?

Slice it and dice it anyway you like - but it's now a FACT that he lied, went back on his promise, didn't honor his WORD.

My Dad taught me growing up that the most important thing a man possesses is his word, that it's gold and can very rarely be recovered once you stop honoring it.

I am not at all convinced that just because a bill has earmarks, that the spending contained therein is "wasteful". I am not at all convinced that Obama would NOT veto a bill that was overly laden with wasteful spending...

and I also know that presidential candidates campaign in poetry and govern in prose. I won't hold Obama to any higher standard than I held Bush.

jimnyc
03-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Here is a site that tracks all the promises Obama made.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/

Didn't Obama run on "hope and CHANGE"? Slicing the words and acts to make it sound any different is a losing cause - it's business as usual for Washington and we now just have another LIAR in office.

jimnyc
03-02-2009, 09:50 AM
I am not at all convinced that just because a bill has earmarks, that the spending contained therein is "wasteful". I am not at all convinced that Obama would NOT veto a bill that was overly laden with wasteful spending...

and I also know that presidential candidates campaign in poetry and govern in prose. I won't hold Obama to any higher standard than I held Bush.

Funny how things can be politely "minced" when it's Dems making the decisions. He PROMISED no more pork and earmarks and complete transparency. He stated we got partially into this mess from pork spending and here he is signing a bill with 9,000 earmarks.

red states rule
03-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Didn't Obama run on "hope and CHANGE"? Slicing the words and acts to make it sound any different is a losing cause - it's business as usual for Washington and we now just have another LIAR in office.

My liberal buddy (blue state rule) is not the happy lib he was BEFORE the election. Now he is rather quiet, and he is watching his 401K fade away as Wall St expresses their "confidence" in the messiah's economic policies

I am almost wishing Jimmy Carter was back in office - the results of his 4 years was not nearly as bad as Obama's is looking to be

red states rule
03-02-2009, 09:52 AM

I have a thread on the 9,000 earmarks. Here is the intro

Here we goes folks. Look how your tax money is being spent

$200,000 for “Tattoo Removal Violence Prevention Outreach Program,”

Maine lobster earmark in the omnibus (Virgil should love this one)

$5.8 million earmark for the “Ted Kennedy Institute for the Senate…for the planning and design of a building & an endowment,”

and National Council of La Raza, $473,000 earmark from Sens. Bingaman and Menendez

and I thought Obama promised NO EARMARKS AND PORK

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=21660

So these are not wasteful?

jimnyc
03-02-2009, 09:54 AM
I have a thread on the 9,000 earmarks. Here is the intro

Here we goes folks. Look how your tax money is being spent

$200,000 for “Tattoo Removal Violence Prevention Outreach Program,”

Maine lobster earmark in the omnibus (Virgil should love this one)

$5.8 million earmark for the “Ted Kennedy Institute for the Senate…for the planning and design of a building & an endowment,”

and National Council of La Raza, $473,000 earmark from Sens. Bingaman and Menendez

and I thought Obama promised NO EARMARKS AND PORK

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=21660

While at a time these wouldn't be so bad - ANYONE claiming that this is NOT wasteful spending during a time of recession is absolutely delusional. Obama lied, our bank accounts will die.

moderate democrat
03-02-2009, 09:55 AM

wasteful? I dunno. do they create jobs and economic activity?

red states rule
03-02-2009, 09:57 AM
While at a time these wouldn't be so bad - ANYONE claiming that this is NOT wasteful spending during a time of recession is absolutely delusional. Obama lied, our bank accounts will die.

and what is left of our 401K's are melting away

Dow is at 6,956

I guess Dems will be happy now. More people to take more handouts

and Dems can now try to take over 401K's with Government Savings Accounts like they talked about last year

jimnyc
03-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Anyone can make up their own mind about Obama's actions. But I look at it as if he was speaking to me directly when he made his promises. He spoke to all of us as a group and as individuals. I for one see that he made a promise to me and has now went back on it, and IMO that is irrefutable. 5.8 million for an endowment program is wasteful at this point and time no matter how much spinning is done. 200k for a damn tattoo removal program is wasteful spending at this time. And I have a sneaky suspicion we might find a few more earmarks that aren't completely necessary at this time out of the other 8,998.

I thought he has stated he would give the American people time to review this crap before it was signed?

red states rule
03-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Fox is pointing out Obama's broken promise

and the Obama spokepeople are blaming Pres Bush.

Obama Will Sign Spending Bill Despite Earmarks
President will break a campaign pledge on Monday and sign a budget bill laden with millions in lawmakers' pet projects, administration officials said.

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama will break a campaign pledge and sign a budget bill laden with millions in lawmakers' pet projects, administration officials said.

Administration budget chief Peter Orszag and White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel both downplayed the $410 billion spending bill and signaled Obama would hold his nose and sign it. Orszag said: "We want to just move on. Let's get this bill done, get it into law and move forward.

Said Emanuel: "That's last year's business."

The House last week passed the measure that would keep the government running through Sept. 30, when the federal budget year ends. Taxpayers for Common Sense, a watchdog group, identified almost 8,600 specially sponsored projects totaling $7.7 billion; Democrats say the number is $3.8 billion.

Either way, it is far more than Obama promised as a candidate. He refused "earmarks" for the economic stimulus package he championed and a children's health bill.

He similiarly pledged to reject tailored budget requests that let lawmakers send money to their home states. Orszag said Obama would move ahead and overlook the time-tested tradition that lets officials divert millions at a time to pet projects.

"We want to make sure that earmarks are reduced and they're also transparent. We're going to work with the Congress on a set of reforms to achieve those," said Orszag, director of the Office of Management and Budget.

Obama's top hands assigned responsibility to their predecessors and President George W. Bush.

Blaming Bush-era proposals for deficits, Obama wanted to set up his own budget that would start Oct. 1, which he proposed last week with a bold goal of cutting the deficit by half within his four-year term.

"First, this is a $1.7 trillion deficit he inherited. Let's be clear about that. We inherited this deficit and we inherited $4 trillion of new debt," Emanuel said. "That is the facts."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/03/01/budget-chief-obama-sign-spending/