View Full Version : In Bruges

hjmick
03-02-2009, 09:40 PM
In Bruges starring Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, and Ralph Fiennes.

This was one of the films I've seen in quite some time. The characters were interesting, the plot, though slow to kick in, was involving, and the dialogue was funnyand witty and kept things moving. I don't know quite how to classify this movie. It was part commedy, part drama, part crime, but all entertaining. Colin Farrell was better than I've ever seen him.

Give it a try. It's different. In a good way.

dan
03-03-2009, 06:33 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by this as well. Don't go by the previews, though, they made it look like a wacky comedy, probably because they didn't know how to classify it. It's got some very dramatic movies, but it's pretty outstanding. I was disappointed it didn't win Best Screenplay.

hjmick
03-03-2009, 08:42 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by this as well. Don't go by the previews, though, they made it look like a wacky comedy, probably because they didn't know how to classify it. It's got some very dramatic movies, but it's pretty outstanding. I was disappointed it didn't win Best Screenplay.

It's hard to describe without giving away too much of the movie and it's the way the movie unfolds that is part of what makes it so good.

dan
03-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Hjmick, since you seem like a pretty adventurous movie guy, I gotta recommend Synecdochy, New York. It comes out on video on March 10th, I saw it in theaters, had to drive an hour to the indie theater in Columbia just to see it, but it was totally worth it. It was one of the more deeply affecting movies I've ever seen. Definitely the best movie I saw last year. It was one of those things where I did nothing for the rest of the day but think about the movie and reflect on my life. It is pretty tough to follow at times (like Charlie Kaufman's movies always are), but it's worth it. You should definitely check it out:

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XIizh6nYnTU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XIizh6nYnTU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

hjmick
03-04-2009, 10:27 PM
I love Hoffman. This is the movie where he spends his life writing and staging a play, right? Building a life size set in a warehouse? I wanted to see this.

dan
03-04-2009, 10:53 PM
I love Hoffman. This is the movie where he spends his life writing and staging a play, right? Building a life size set in a warehouse? I wanted to see this.

Yeah, that's what it's about superficially, but there's so much more going on than that. I won't say any more than that...