View Full Version : Brilliant Poster: "Jobs Americans Won't Do

Kathianne
03-03-2009, 07:02 AM
Answered at the time, 'they will if they have to....'

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/us/01survival.html?_r=1

March 1, 2009
Forced From Executive Pay to Hourly Wage

By MICHAEL LUO
TEMPE, Ariz. — Mark Cooper started his work day on a recent morning cleaning the door handles of an office building with a rag, vigorously shaking out a rug at a back entrance and pushing a dust mop down a long hallway.

Nine months ago he lost his job as the security manager for the western United States for a Fortune 500 company, overseeing a budget of $1.2 million and earning about $70,000 a year. Now he is grateful for the $12 an hour he makes in what is known in unemployment circles as a “survival job” at a friend’s janitorial services company. But that does not make the work any easier.

“You’re fighting despair, discouragement, depression every day,” Mr. Cooper said.

Working five days a week, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Mr. Cooper is not counted by traditional measures as among the recession’s casualties at this point. But his tumble down the economic ladder is among the more disquieting and often hidden aspects of the downturn.

It is not clear how many professionals like Mr. Cooper have taken on these types of lower-paying jobs, which are themselves in short supply. Many are doing their best to hold out as long as possible on unemployment benefits and savings while still looking for work in their fields....

moderate democrat
03-03-2009, 07:07 AM
sad, but still inspirational. people will do what they need to do.

PostmodernProphet
03-03-2009, 07:17 AM

doing what you need to do isn't sad.....sitting back and waiting for the government to do it for you is sad.....

moderate democrat
03-03-2009, 07:19 AM
doing what you need to do isn't sad.....sitting back and waiting for the government to do it for you is sad.....

that wasn't what I found sad.

Monkeybone
03-03-2009, 07:21 AM

hate to speak for him, but i don't think that he meant it was sad that he was doing that work. but that he lost his job. and that is was inspirational that instead of waiting for the gov check he got a job. at least that is how i took it.

moderate democrat
03-03-2009, 07:22 AM
hate to speak for him, but i don't think that he meant it was sad that he was doing that work. but that he lost his job. and that is was inspirational that instead of waiting for the gov check he got a job. at least that is how i took it.

exactly...

and we both know that PMP figured that out as well.

Classact
03-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Speaking of jobs American's won't do I saw on the news yesterday that Homeland Security busted a company with a lot of illegal workers and the result was:

Hundreds of legal American citizens lined up appling for the vacancies... And

The new Homeland Security Secretary appologized for the raid saying she was unaware of the action, implying someone's nuts will soon be in a vice to apease the illegals that vote Democratic.

PostmodernProphet
03-03-2009, 07:33 AM
that wasn't what I found sad.

I know....that's why you vote Democrat.....and that's another thing I find sad....

Classact
03-03-2009, 07:56 AM
I know....that's why you vote Democrat.....and that's another thing I find sad....Do you guys find it sad that Homeland Security apologizes for enforcing workplace enforcement? http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2194193/posts

Jagger
03-03-2009, 07:10 PM
doing what you need to do isn't sad.....sitting back and waiting for the government to do it for you is sad..... What is your excuse for not being rich, like me?

MtnBiker
03-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Perhaps PMP's wealth is based in reality.

PostmodernProphet
03-03-2009, 07:44 PM
What is your excuse for not being rich, like me?

well, I'm a semi-reformed hippie.....I have often said, God didn't make me rich, but he did made me cheap.....so at least I feel like I'm rich.....

Kathianne
03-03-2009, 07:45 PM

Ummm, like you are special forces...:rolleyes:

hjmick
03-03-2009, 08:49 PM

What makes you think PMP is not rich? Furthermore, how do you define rich? And, last but not least, what are you lacking that makes you feel it necessary to brag about your personal wealth?

PostmodernProphet
03-03-2009, 09:53 PM
I AM rich....no credit card bills, no car loans, no mortgage.....

Kathianne
03-03-2009, 09:57 PM

Indeed you are and you need to be taxed to the max.

PostmodernProphet
03-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Indeed you are and you need to be taxed to the max.

I'm a Conscientious Deducter......I deduct things on moral grounds.....

Kathianne
03-03-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm a Conscientious Deducter......I deduct things on moral grounds.....

:cool: How'd that working out for you, fairness wise?

PostmodernProphet
03-03-2009, 10:48 PM
:cool:

oh no...I'm not answering questions of anyone wearing sunglasses.....you look like some Men In Black agent.....I bet you work undercover for the IRS......no sireee....I pay all my taxes, I even pay my neighbor's taxes just to be safe....

Kathianne
03-03-2009, 10:56 PM
oh no...I'm not answering questions of anyone wearing sunglasses.....you look like some Men In Black agent.....I bet you work undercover for the IRS......no sireee....I pay all my taxes, I even pay my neighbor's taxes just to be safe....

Too late. Be afraid, be very, very afraid. :cool:

Trigg
03-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Answered at the time, 'they will if they have to....'

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/us/01survival.html?_r=1

Legal Americans were always doing those jobs. The "jobs Americans won't do" line was always BS.

Trinity
03-05-2009, 05:08 PM

Hey me too....:thumb:

Jagger
03-05-2009, 07:07 PM
well, I'm a semi-reformed hippie.....I have often said, God didn't make me rich, but he did made me cheap.....so at least I feel like I'm rich..... I'm an unreformed hippie. God made me rich. I don't want to save money. I want to make money.

Kathianne
03-05-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm an unreformed hippie. God made me rich. I don't want to save money. I want to make money.

This means what?

Jagger
03-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Ummm, like you are special forces...:rolleyes:
I was. Now I'm just special. I ain't gonna study war no more....

Jagger
03-05-2009, 07:14 PM
What makes you think PMP is not rich?
It was a lucky guess.

Furthermore, how do you define rich? I use words according to their most know signification.

And, last but not least, what are you lacking that makes you feel it necessary to brag about your personal wealth?
I just like to make fun of poor Republicans who are so concerned about how much rich Democrats like me pay in taxes.

Jagger
03-05-2009, 07:16 PM
I AM rich....no credit card bills, no car loans, no mortgage..... Same here. However, I also have tens of millions of dollars of investments. You want to buy some oil and gas wells in Oklahoma and Arkansas cheap?

Jagger
03-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Indeed you are and you need to be taxed to the max. The poor should not be taxed at all.

Jagger
03-05-2009, 07:21 PM
This means what? I use all words in their most know signification, unless I specify otherwise, or I'm insulting someone.

Kathianne
03-05-2009, 07:31 PM
I use all words in their most know signification, unless I specify otherwise, or I'm insulting someone.

:trolls: I should heed my own advice.

03-05-2009, 08:36 PM
The poor should not be taxed at all.

Everyone should be taxed equally. Not representation without taxation.

Yurt
03-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Same here. However, I also have tens of millions of dollars of investments. You want to buy some oil and gas wells in Oklahoma and Arkansas cheap?

the game "billionaire" doesn't count

Jagger
03-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Everyone should be taxed equally.
Taxes should be progressive.

Binky
03-06-2009, 10:34 AM
I can tell you this much, if I were a very rich person I sure as hell wouldn't be sitting here in some forum by the hour. I'd be out experiencing new things and enjoying the money.