PDA

View Full Version : so what do you suggest I do in today's economy...

PostmodernProphet
03-03-2009, 07:59 PM
I have been driving this 1996 Chevy Astro that I bought in 2005 for $5k when it had 105k miles.....I've been putting off repairs because I was thinking about getting something different this summer.....transmission is iffy....needs at least a valve job maybe replacement, heater fan doesn't work, windshield is broken....it's currently 13 years old and has 160k miles on it....today the water pump died......I'm not willing to spend what it would take to fix everything on it.....I figure since I got use of the car for less than $2k a year, it owes me nothing....

so I had been thinking about getting a used F150 around 75k to 100k miles, but when I went on the internet today I found that the same guy I bought my Astro from has a 2003 Astro with 106k miles for $4665....I could take the leather seats from mine, which are in near perfect condition and put them in the 2003. as well as the fiberglass body kit...basically a 60k mile upgrade and most people wouldn't know it was a different car (would gain AWD out of the trade as well).....

I could get either for cash, but with a quarter of the people in town on unemployment for the next who knows how many years is it time to throw an extra $10k into a car?......

Mr. P
03-03-2009, 08:44 PM
I have been driving this 1996 Chevy Astro that I bought in 2005 for $5k when it had 105k miles.....I've been putting off repairs because I was thinking about getting something different this summer.....transmission is iffy....needs at least a valve job maybe replacement, heater fan doesn't work, windshield is broken....it's currently 13 years old and has 160k miles on it....today the water pump died......I'm not willing to spend what it would take to fix everything on it.....I figure since I got use of the car for less than $2k a year, it owes me nothing....

so I had been thinking about getting a used F150 around 75k to 100k miles, but when I went on the internet today I found that the same guy I bought my Astro from has a 2003 Astro with 106k miles for $4665....I could take the leather seats from mine, which are in near perfect condition and put them in the 2003. as well as the fiberglass body kit...basically a 60k mile upgrade and most people wouldn't know it was a different car (would gain AWD out of the trade as well).....

I could get either for cash, but with a quarter of the people in town on unemployment for the next who knows how many years is it time to throw an extra $10k into a car?......

I wouldn't do the F-150 for a couple reasons. If you like the Astro, change the seats and donate the old one to charity for a tax credit next yr.

emmett
03-03-2009, 09:12 PM

Put a water pump on the old one and drive it until the wheels rot off of it!

PostmodernProphet
03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Put a water pump on the old one and drive it until the wheels rot off of it!

the trouble is, it is very close to the point where the wheels rot off....if I spend a couple hundred bucks for a water pump, I pretty much have to spend another thousand or more to fix everything else wrong with it.....then it makes more sense to spend the whole 4600 and have a car with fifty thousand less miles on it.....

5stringJeff
03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Take the F-150.

PostmodernProphet
03-03-2009, 10:05 PM
this is why democracy sucks.....people have different opinions.....

manu1959
03-03-2009, 10:30 PM
buy the used astro and donate the other car to charity......and f150 will kill you in gas compared to the astro.....

Abbey Marie
03-03-2009, 11:24 PM
I drove an Astro once. I hope never to drive one again.

F-150, P.

hjmick
03-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Get a bicycle. :D

manu1959
03-03-2009, 11:31 PM
I drove an Astro once. I hope never to drive one again.

F-150, P.

he likes his astro.............

Abbey Marie
03-03-2009, 11:36 PM

He asked for opinions...

(We interrupt this thread for an important question):

How the heck have you been, M?

(We now return to our regularlly scheduled thread).

manu1959
03-03-2009, 11:55 PM
He asked for opinions...

(We interrupt this thread for an important question):

How the heck have you been, M?

(We now return to our regularlly scheduled thread).

ya so....yours is wrong....

sent you a pm so as not derail the thread.....

hjmick
03-04-2009, 12:06 AM

So did George Jetson.

hjmick
03-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Okay, seriously...

Do you have the money to spend on a new/used car? If so, why are you worried about other people being out of work? What does their lack of a job have to do with your need for a new car or your ability to afford it?

manu1959
03-04-2009, 12:14 AM
so far noone has taken this the direction I had hoped it went, that is....a discussion on spending money in the current economy.....it's what we are supposed to do you know.....spend money...but should I be spending money on a new car when so many folks are out of work?.....

won't putting some of your money in circulation help whoever you give it to.....

or you could just go give it all to a homeless shelter.....

PostmodernProphet
03-04-2009, 12:14 AM
so far noone has taken this the direction I had hoped it went, that is....a discussion on spending money in the current economy.....it's what we are supposed to do you know.....spend money...but should I be spending money on a new car when so many folks are out of work?.....

hjmick
03-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Wow, that was weird. My post #14 should be after your post #15 as it was in direct response.

manu1959
03-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Wow, that was weird. My post #14 should be after your post #15 as it was in direct response.

mine did the same thing.....

hjmick
03-04-2009, 12:25 AM

Let's try this again...

Do you have the money to spend on a new/used car? If so, why are you worried about other people being out of work? What does their lack of a job have to do with your need for a new car or your ability to afford it?

hjmick
03-04-2009, 12:25 AM
mine did the same thing.....

We're magic!

manu1959
03-04-2009, 12:29 AM
We're magic!

californians are like that......

Mr. P
03-04-2009, 12:29 AM

Considering yer a real estate attorney and the housing/real estate market is in the tank...NO! Buy used so you have transportation to the new bridge or road project job while chasing the ambulance.

hjmick
03-04-2009, 12:31 AM

Neg reps to the first person who calls us fairies!

Mr. P
03-04-2009, 12:33 AM
We're magic!

Not magic, you two Left Coasters are just backwards! :poke:

03-04-2009, 12:36 AM

whether you get a new car or a used car you sprending money. Someones going to get paid. so you should do whats best for you. Thats what captalism is about.

hjmick
03-04-2009, 12:40 AM
I'm still confused about what the job status of others has to do with how you spend your money...

manu1959
03-04-2009, 12:47 AM
I'm still confused about what the job status of others has to do with how you spend your money...

christian guilt.......

PostmodernProphet
03-04-2009, 07:59 AM
christian guilt.......

?????.....non-Christians don't have guilt?......

Abbey Marie
03-04-2009, 12:28 PM
From an article on the best cars for $10,000:

2004 Ford F-150
Why we like it: A longtime class and sales leader, the F-150 remains more than viable, even at five years old. Depending on configuration, reliability scores range from acceptable to top-notch. Frontal crash-test scores are excellent. Although side-impact airbags weren't offered — and the F-150 was never tested for side impacts — its larger size and higher ride height somewhat mitigate this. Antilock brakes were standard.
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/867/The-Best-Cars-for-10-000

Mr. P
03-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Hey that F-150 has lots of room in the back to carry cash for gas too..

@12mpg that's a deal!

*Sarcasm..OFF.

PostmodernProphet
03-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I live three miles from work, all city driving.....F150 v Kia saves me less than $100 a year

Mr. P
03-04-2009, 02:26 PM
I live three miles from work, all city driving.....F150 v Kia saves me less than $100 a year

assuming that's the ONLY place you ever drive to, walk or buy a bike..DAMN what's the problem!??? :poke:

Nukeman
03-04-2009, 02:43 PM
3 miles to work..... I would be riding a bike!!!!! anything less than 8 miles and i would bike it. unfortunately for me I live 28 miles from work..... If your that close buy the bigger vehicle if that is what you want, not like its going to kill you on gas or anything. Heck buy a bike for work and the F150 for the weekends.......