PDA

View Full Version : Making the board better

jimnyc
03-03-2009, 08:50 PM
I am seeking a "truce" amongst those who might see other members of this board as an enemy. I'm not asking for anyone to be buddies or have the politest of chats with one another, but to hopefully bring our discussions back to where all of the community can discuss freely.

The board has been inundated, from the current events section to the humor section, with non-stop feuding amongst some members and discussion about one another's identities. I think I can be honest and frank, and speak for the majority of the board when I say it is getting quite old. I've listened to complaints from everyone involved and believe everyone has valid points, but that does nothing to resolve the issue. Way too many threads are being derailed and I believe other members are hesitant to post in threads that this becomes the topic in.

I remain neutral in the arguments as it's simply not my argument. My job is to keep the board running and ensure that the community as a whole is enjoying the board. I see myself failing in this respect.

I have a few options though and it's up to the said participants to guide me in the direction necessary. I would rather everyone dropped personal issues and got back to discussing, even if you'd like to get heated a bit about the others views. I'm asking this as a favor to avoid any intervention from staff. If this cannot be achieved, I am asking them to instantly thread ban anyone that initiates such discussion, and any responders. No need to respond to bait threads when the "report a post" feature can be used. I don't expect anyone to initiate this stuff, whether direct or implied - and we aren't knuckleheads, we read through the lines.

I can always install a hack for the board that would allow me to "force" members to place one another on ignore, but I feel that is overstepping my boundaries. I believe we are all men and women here and differences can be worked out like adults without action that would be reserved for children. I really don't see myself ever using such an option.

So this is my though process going forward, nothing written in stone. But I am asking those involved in the feuds, PLEASE, give it a break. Nobody is going to bend or break, it's a futile argument that will accomplish absolutely nothing but more damage to the board. I am asking you guys, to help me. PLEASE, make it so that I no longer need to intervene. I don't want to be made out to be the bad guy for trying to keep the community happy as a whole while a small handful try to cyber-kill one another!

emmett
03-03-2009, 08:59 PM
The steelers won the damn Super Bowl Jim, you didn't have to make a rule like this to keep us from talking bad about em! They hushed us up without your help!!!!!

PostmodernProphet
03-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Making the board better

find us some liberals who know how to debate.....

hjmick
03-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Ah hell, I thought this was a thread about me...

manu1959
03-03-2009, 10:21 PM
jim,

i agree......they feuding has sort of taken the bloom of the rose for me here.....not that i am any saint......but i think we as acommunity should try to hold each other accountable and try to stop each other from trashing the place......

that said....happy to help you anyway i can.....

CockySOB
03-03-2009, 10:24 PM
find us some liberals who know how to debate.....

That would be paradox, no? If they could actually debate, they wouldn't be liberal, would they?

Immanuel
03-03-2009, 10:40 PM
You can make the board better?

How? A weekly lottery with a reasonable chance of winning?

Immie

Kathianne
03-03-2009, 10:41 PM
You can make the board better?

How? A weekly lottery with a reasonable chance of winning?

Immie

Keeping stupid to a minimum would be a start, no?

hjmick
03-03-2009, 10:49 PM
You can't fix stupid.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Everyone has a right to be stupid; some people just abuse the privilege.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

There are only two races on this planet-the intelligent and the stupid.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice.

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.

manu1959
03-03-2009, 11:00 PM
i always liked........

in the morning i will be sober......but you will still be stupid.....

Kathianne
03-03-2009, 11:02 PM
i always liked........

Ok.

hjmick
03-03-2009, 11:08 PM
i always liked........

Which is a varition of a Winston Churchill quote, "I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

Kathianne
03-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Which is a varition of a Winston Churchill quote, "I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

I remember. Then too many will be sober, as they are now, and quite alright to parade in public. Still able to differentiate between stupid and not.

Lizabeth
03-03-2009, 11:37 PM
I have to say I agree with you on this one. I have been away from the board for a while and coming back I must say some of the comments being made are just vicious and personal.

We should be able to discuss the topics with some decorum. I applaud your efforts in trying to obtain a truce of sorts.

Thank you.

sgtdmski
03-04-2009, 03:12 AM
I belong to another debate site as well where I am a Moderator. However, we have a few moderators there that have the tendency to ban people quite often. I am one of the few if not the only conservative voice on the site. I have grown weary of that site because so much of the debate is gone. There are so many liberals that frequent the site that I cannot always keep up with the debates. Lately it seems as though the site has been taken over by the homosexual supporters, if you are anti-gay you can expect to be reported to the moderator and shortly thereafter banned. The only reason they cannot ban me is that I am a moderator and have been on that site longer than most of them.

I like this site because there is actually a mixture of viewpoints, and while the bickering between people can be annoying, at least we have people bickering.

I am not sure if there is an easy answer or a quick fix to the problem of bickering between members, that is what usually happens when you have different viewpoints and ideologies. I for the most part try treat everyone with respect, but sometime the arguments you come accross from those who oppose you make little to no sense or have nothing to do with the points made, and sometimes it is frustrating and hard to not to respond with what some might consider derogatory twist to your comment.

dmk

Kathianne
03-04-2009, 05:59 AM
I belong to another debate site as well where I am a Moderator. However, we have a few moderators there that have the tendency to ban people quite often. I am one of the few if not the only conservative voice on the site. I have grown weary of that site because so much of the debate is gone. There are so many liberals that frequent the site that I cannot always keep up with the debates. Lately it seems as though the site has been taken over by the homosexual supporters, if you are anti-gay you can expect to be reported to the moderator and shortly thereafter banned. The only reason they cannot ban me is that I am a moderator and have been on that site longer than most of them.

I like this site because there is actually a mixture of viewpoints, and while the bickering between people can be annoying, at least we have people bickering.

I am not sure if there is an easy answer or a quick fix to the problem of bickering between members, that is what usually happens when you have different viewpoints and ideologies. I for the most part try treat everyone with respect, but sometime the arguments you come accross from those who oppose you make little to no sense or have nothing to do with the points made, and sometimes it is frustrating and hard to not to respond with what some might consider derogatory twist to your comment.

dmk

I appreciate your take, as you've been here a relatively short time and have some objectivity. I agree that there is some mix of the political spectrum, I for one would like more. Differences in opinion can lead to tempers flying a bit, but it shouldn't get to the personal, try to destroy someone level. That is what we would like to get in check. I'm pretty sure it will happen, the owner is determined at this point. So it will be done nicely or not so nicely, the members own decisions.

sgtdmski
03-05-2009, 04:23 PM
I think that every site would like to have more diversity. However, the problems remains as you said that with difference in ideology can lead to heated discussions. I grow wary for at the other site I see far too many people being chased away or banned from the site because they do not share the opinion of the majority. What is worse is the fact that far too often those in the majority will run to the moderators to complain and then the next thing you see is that person being infracted or banned.

I like the fact that you have the steel cage here, where members can go if they want, I think that this might keep alot of animosity out of the topics. Thus far I have enjoyed the debate here, and look forward to posting a lot more.

dmk

Immanuel
03-05-2009, 08:29 PM
I think that every site would like to have more diversity. However, the problems remains as you said that with difference in ideology can lead to heated discussions. I grow wary for at the other site I see far too many people being chased away or banned from the site because they do not share the opinion of the majority. What is worse is the fact that far too often those in the majority will run to the moderators to complain and then the next thing you see is that person being infracted or banned.

I like the fact that you have the steel cage here, where members can go if they want, I think that this might keep alot of animosity out of the topics. Thus far I have enjoyed the debate here, and look forward to posting a lot more.

dmk

What fun is a site where everyone agrees? It is much more pleasurable to discuss an issue with someone with whom you disagree than with someone that sees the issue the same way you do.

Jim is correct, this site could be better if people would leave the petty whining about others off the threads. Who cares if Mod Dem is MFM or not? What difference does it make? Either discuss the issues or don't bother posting dozens of post about him in every single thread that starts up.

And for crying out loud, don't show how much of a wuss you are by calling everyone that disagrees with you idiots and ignoring the issues.

Whoops... {steps of the soap box}

Immie

PS I'm not at all stating that you do those things sgt. But those who do, know who I'm speaking of.

jackass
03-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Well said Immie!

DMK, I think Jim has really succeeded in creating a board that is very tolerant of all views. His only complaint is the constant feuding and nasty comments by a select few individuals who cant seem to behave in an appropriate manner.