PDA

View Full Version : Obama lying again?

jimnyc
03-07-2009, 09:52 AM
This is what he stated in his weekly radio address:

"In order to pay for the things we need -- we cannot waste money on the things we don't."

Does this guy REALLY have the cajones to say this after signing a bill with 9,000 earmarks embedded in it? Maybe he can say it without a straight face because it was on radio? I'm not going to nitpick and post the tons of CRAP that was in the bill as it's already been beaten to death here, but to sign off on so much absolute crap, and then tell the American citizens a few short days later that "we cannot waste money" is despicable.

Anywhere from 3.8 - 7 BILLION dollars worth of earmarks, and then he's going to speak about spending properly?

I don't want to hear another peep from anyone about "Bush lied". Obama has been in office barely over a month and has shown that he can lie with the best of them, and that his WORD on the campaign trail was worth a pile of dog shit.

Classact
03-07-2009, 10:28 AM

Does this guy REALLY have the cajones to say this after signing a bill with 9,000 earmarks embedded in it? Maybe he can say it without a straight face because it was on radio? I'm not going to nitpick and post the tons of CRAP that was in the bill as it's already been beaten to death here, but to sign off on so much absolute crap, and then tell the American citizens a few short days later that "we cannot waste money" is despicable.

Anywhere from 3.8 - 7 BILLION dollars worth of earmarks, and then he's going to speak about spending properly?

I don't want to hear another peep from anyone about "Bush lied". Obama has been in office barely over a month and has shown that he can lie with the best of them, and that his WORD on the campaign trail was worth a pile of dog shit.Hey I got a good idea let's take away incentive for charity and let the government take care of eveyone. This guy is definetely a community organizer as long as the community consists of morons.

Joe Steel
03-07-2009, 11:01 AM

Does this guy REALLY have the cajones to say this after signing a bill with 9,000 earmarks embedded in it?

Why not? It's true. In a stimulus bill, all spending is necessary.

hjmick
03-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Hey Jim, perhaps you should rethink the title of this thread. May I suggest "Obama still lying," with no question mark.

jimnyc
03-07-2009, 11:19 AM

But not everything needs to be in the stimulus bill. Personal pet projects that do nothing to create jobs, save money or save jobs is a waste right now. Research on the oddest of things is not a necessity right now. We are in a financial crisis and they should only be spending on what actually STIMULATES the economy. 9 fucking thousand earmarks I can guarantee you is NOT a necessity right now. I'm sure you can find a few thousand that would be debatable by both sides, and I'm equally as confident there are just as many in there that are outright money spent that is not a necessity in time of financial crisis. Now is not the time to refuse to vote on the bill unless they get earmarks for their respective states - yet it would seem anyone who asked got a nice little bag of goodies (earmarks) for voting.

Trillions of dollars in earmarks is wasteful spending no matter how you slice it. A single thing more than what is absolutely necessary to help our economy is one too many. People voting on a bill with thousands of pages, barely having read any, is absurdity - but I'm sure they at least knew what freebies they were getting handed to them.

sgtdmski
03-07-2009, 11:49 AM
What do you expect?? This from the same man that plainly stated that he would allow the people 5 days to review the bills before signing them into law, and already he has broken that promise three times, whats another 8000 lies?

dmk

Joe Steel
03-07-2009, 12:18 PM
But not everything needs to be in the stimulus bill. Personal pet projects that do nothing to create jobs, save money or save jobs is a waste right now.

All spending creates jobs. Indeed, it's the only that will. Recessions, and the job losses they create, are caused by a lack of spending. Spending is the only way to fix a lack of spending.

manu1959
03-07-2009, 01:16 PM

can you explain how his trickle down stimulus will get to you.......

theHawk
03-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Its not a lie. It just demonstrates what an idiot he is.

5stringJeff
03-07-2009, 01:23 PM
All spending creates jobs. Indeed, it's the only that will. Recessions, and the job losses they create, are caused by a lack of spending. Spending is the only way to fix a lack of spending.

In that case, I'm sure you support an expansion of our military missions overseas to include invasions of Iran and Pakistan. After all, all spending creates jobs, right?

Joe Steel
03-07-2009, 01:41 PM
can you explain how his trickle down stimulus will get to you.......

Suppose the stimulus bill contains money for a Muskrat Museum and I'm operating a convenience store next to the site where it will be built. Construction workers will buy Big Gulps during the construction phase and, when its finished, muskrat fans will buy ice cream for themselves and peanuts to feed the muskrats. Doubtless, it will be the destination of choice for the region and the many visitors will buy gasoline. I'd probably have to hire extra staff for the store.

Joe Steel
03-07-2009, 01:45 PM
In that case, I'm sure you support an expansion of our military missions overseas to include invasions of Iran and Pakistan. After all, all spending creates jobs, right?

Many argue spending for WWII ended the depression. That's probably true to some extent so military spending might be a good idea. It's not the best way to do it, though, because military goods can't be used for further production. That is, $50,000 spent on bomb isn't as good for the economy as $50,000 spent a lathe. I'd choose the lathe.

Kathianne
03-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Many argue spending for WWII ended the depression. That's probably true to some extent so military spending might be a good idea. It's not the best way to do it, though, because military goods can't be used for further production. That is, $50,000 spent on bomb isn't as good for the economy as $50,000 spent a lathe. I'd choose the lathe.

Why not? 'All spending is good', and it takes more people to build the bombs than lathes.

Joe Steel
03-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Why not? 'All spending is good', and it takes more people to build the bombs than lathes.

But once you've dropped the bomb on an Iraqi school, it's gone. You can use the lathe to make things for hundred years or more.

Kathianne
03-07-2009, 02:30 PM
But once you've dropped the bomb on an Iraqi school, it's gone. You can use the lathe to make things for hundred years or more.

Thanks for making the point even more salient, more bombs-short shelf life. More money spent, more people employed.

Joe Steel
03-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks for making the point even more salient, more bombs-short shelf life. More money spent, more people employed.

The lathe would keep a machinist employed, too. And the products made on the lathe would be used in other manufactured products keeping other machinists and assemblers employed for as long as the lathe could be used. I doubt we could bomb Iraqi schools as long as the lathe lasted. Eventually someone would get upset.

manu1959
03-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Suppose the stimulus bill contains money for a Muskrat Museum and I'm operating a convenience store next to the site where it will be built. Construction workers will buy Big Gulps during the construction phase and, when its finished, muskrat fans will buy ice cream for themselves and peanuts to feed the muskrats. Doubtless, it will be the destination of choice for the region and the many visitors will buy gasoline. I'd probably have to hire extra staff for the store.

i said you....how will it get to you......be specific....

Joe Steel
03-08-2009, 06:05 AM
i said you....how will it get to you......be specific....

I don't know that it will, directly.

Kathianne
03-08-2009, 06:08 AM
The lathe would keep a machinist employed, too. And the products made on the lathe would be used in other manufactured products keeping other machinists and assemblers employed for as long as the lathe could be used. I doubt we could bomb Iraqi schools as long as the lathe lasted. Eventually someone would get upset.

Lathes last, bombs don't, well at least nowadays. Hey were stepping it up in Afghanistan, maybe Iran. By the time were done the schools in Iraq will be rebuilt and we can start all over again.

PostmodernProphet
03-08-2009, 08:19 AM

unless you owned a convenience store outside of AutoWorld in Flint, Michigan.....another museum built with lots of taxpayer money....it went bankrupt after only a year......it was supposed to be the destination of choice for the region as well.....

Jagger
03-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Does this guy REALLY have the cajones to say this after signing a bill with 9,000 earmarks embedded in it? Why do you believe that earmarks waste money on things we don't need?

PostmodernProphet
03-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Why do you believe that earmarks waste money on things we don't need?

I'll bet it's because he took the time to read some of the list.....

Jagger
03-08-2009, 12:50 PM
I'll bet it's because he took the time to read some of the list.....

Show us an earmark in the Omnibus Bill that you believe is a waste of money on something we don't need.

PostmodernProphet
03-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Show us an earmark in the Omnibus Bill that you believe is a waste of money on something we don't need.

how many would you like?....

$250k to study the Idaho Sage Grouse....
$875k to relocate the Red Wolf Breeding Facility in North Carolina....
$750k to plan the Hudson-Fulton-Champlain Quadricentennial....
$1mil for the Intertribal Bison Cooperative in South Dakota....
$15mill for California Emissions Reduction Grants....
$783k for an Appalachian Fruit Lab in West Virginia....
$95k for the Youngstown Symphony Orchestra in Pennsylvania....

Jagger
03-08-2009, 04:58 PM
how many would you like?....

$250k to study the Idaho Sage Grouse.....
Although a great deal is known about sage-grouse ecology and habitat, additional research is needed in order to better understand the range of factors that affect sagegrouse populations, sage-grouse habitat, and the relationship between them. Research is also needed to identify better ways of addressing both population and habitat needs.

--2006 Conservation Plan for the Greater Sage-grouse in Idaho

Jagger
03-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Although a great deal is known about sage-grouse ecology and habitat, additional research is needed in order to better understand the range of factors that affect sagegrouse populations, sage-grouse habitat, and the relationship between them. Research is also needed to identify better ways of addressing both population and habitat needs.

--2006 Conservation Plan for the Greater Sage-grouse in Idaho

Guess which political party held power in Idaho in 2006?

PostmodernProphet
03-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Guess which political party held power in Idaho in 2006?

/shrugs....I don't really care.....it's a Democratically drafted budget which will be signed by a Democratic president, both of whom pledged to put a stop to Idaho Sage Grouse spending

Kathianne
03-08-2009, 05:39 PM

I used to think you were just uninformed, then thought brain washed, then it dawned, "This tool is just trolling." Indeed.

On the other hand, just to play out a final hand, why is it that Obama now says he'll deal with the earmarks 'next year?'

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-03-08-obama-administration-sunday_N.htm

..."This is like your relief pitcher coming in into the ninth inning and wanting to redo the whole game," he said. "Next year, we will be the starting pitcher and the game is going to be completely different."

The $410 billion spending bill includes the kinds of lawmakers' pet projects that Obama pledged as a candidate to eliminate. His top aides say Obama would overlook for now the time-tested tradition that allows lawmakers to divert millions at a time to pet projects in their districts or states, called "earmarks," in the hopes of moving on....

Kathianne
03-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Then there's this on Iraq/Afghanistan and the left's hope for this one area of 'kept promises'. Go to site for the story and lots of links. Pretty chilling, the game that's being played:

...Kudos to them for reporting it, but they fail to connect the dots - removing a Brigade from Iraq (or from the schedule to go to Iraq) and replacing it with another Brigade is no way to accomplish a "drawdown" (except in newspaper headlines).
Let's recap the salient points here:

1. In September, 2008, the 5th Stryker Brigade Combat Team (SBCT) - after months of preparation - is ordered to Iraq. (One of two SBCTs that were then scheduled to replace the two currently in Iraq)

2. In February, 2009, President Obama announces his Iraq drawdown/Afghanistan surge - the 5th SBCT will be diverted to Afghanistan instead of Iraq.

3. March, 2009, the DoD announces the 4th SBCT will deploy to Iraq this fall, several months ahead of the original schedule replacing the 5th SBCT in the rotation in order to maintain two Stryker Brigades in Iraq.

For the record, I'm in favor of commanders on the ground getting the forces they need to get the job done. I have no doubt that two Stryker Brigades are needed in Iraq, and others in Afghanistan.

I'm deeply concerned when I see troop rotations "adjusted" in what appears to be an effort to fool the American public. But I appreciate that the Obama administration can do that in plain sight, even providing press releases detailing exactly how they're doing it.

I'm even more concerned that those efforts - and the ramifications thereof - are obvious to an American media assumed to be independent of the Executive Branch but apparently unconcerned about reporting its activities. Item two above was headline grabbing/TV news lead story material - item three indicates it was a fraud.

One year ago that would have been a hell of a story, don't you think?