PDA

View Full Version : My Father Asks For Nothing

Kathianne
03-08-2009, 05:38 AM
Not my dad, this one:

http://sippicancottage.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-father-asks-for-nothing.html

(2006)My father asks me for nothing, really. Every three months or so, I take him to his doctor, who pokes about him wondering what keeps him animated, and that's about it. He's grown frail, and has discovered the joys of "Not Going." It takes a lot to get him to leave the comfort and safety of his house. I was really surprised when he called me on Saturday, because he asked me to take him somewhere.

My father was a ball gunner on a B-24J Liberator bomber in the Pacific during WW2. He rarely spoke about that. My father and his confreres considered themselves part of a thing greater than the sum of their parts in it --or so it seems to me -- and more or less did what was expected of them as a sort of unpleasant chore, kept themselves safe as much as was practicable, amused themselves when possible, and got back to being regular people as soon as they could.

As far as how practicable it was to keep safe hanging below a plane filled with four hundred pound bombs with nothing but the ocean beneath you to bore you and Japanese Zeros shooting at you to keep you interested in the trip, you can draw your own conclusions.

My father said that the last B-24 in flying condition was going to be at a little airshow nearby, and he wanted to go see it. Would I take him?

sgtdmski
03-09-2009, 02:03 AM
None of them asked for anything. They served, they fought, they watched friends die, and then they came home. Unassuming, undemanding, and filled with a desire to work hard, many of them felt guilt that they survived while others did not. They worked hard, raised their families, and wanted a better life for their children. They were happy to be who they were.

They never bragged, nor boasted, but could spend hours sitting around talking with their buddies who shared the same duties.

They were and will always be our GREATEST GENERATION. And as the years pass we are losing them all. Everyday, the headlines should read, ANOTHER HERO DIED TODAY, (http://www.willpete.com/a_soldier_died_today.htm)!!!!

GOD BLESS THEM!!!

dmk

Truth Squad
03-09-2009, 02:01 PM
No, you are wrong. The headlines should read "another brave soldier dies to satisfy the vendetta of selfish and vindictive former Commander in Chief." Because this worthless excuse for a man started a process that can never end.

Yurt
03-09-2009, 04:24 PM
No, you are wrong. The headlines should read "another brave soldier dies to satisfy the vendetta of selfish and vindictive former Commander in Chief." Because this worthless excuse for a man started a process that can never end.

such ignorance....as if gwb started this...as if it can never end...i guess then you will wholeheartedly admit that obama is continuing gwb's policies as it can never end. :poke:

Kathianne
03-09-2009, 04:27 PM
such ignorance....as if gwb started this...as if it can never end...i guess then you will wholeheartedly admit that obama is continuing gwb's policies as it can never end. :poke:

Not to mention the 'soldier' was from WWII, flying ball gunner in the Pacific. Let ijits lie.

jimnyc
03-09-2009, 04:29 PM

The first article was about a WW2 vet and the second was a poem written in 1985. What do either of these posts have to do with your lame comments? Were you stupid enough to just read a line or two and then chime in with shit that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread?

I love when newcomers try to win us over with their brilliance.

Psychoblues
03-09-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm so fuckin' sick of those "greatest generation' assholes that I could scream!!!!!!!!!!!! They condemn the Korean War Vets. They condemn the Viet Nam War Vets. They, many years ago, condemned the WW1 vets. How many Persian Gulf 1 vets belong to the VFW's?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??! How many PG11 and Afghanistan Vets seek comradeship with those freaking idiots?!?!?!?!??!?!??! Not many, I assure you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The WW11 vets came home to a willing and complimentary population. They had advantages never offered to any veteran of any war at any time or any country.

What does Ron White say about"stupid"?

You just can't fix stupid.

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

emmett
03-09-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm so fuckin' sick of those "greatest generation' assholes that I could scream!!!!!!!!!!!! They condemn the Korean War Vets. They condemn the Viet Nam War Vets. They, many years ago, condemned the WW1 vets. How many Persian Gulf 1 vets belong to the VFW's?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??! How many PG11 and Afghanistan Vets seek comradeship with those freaking idiots?!?!?!?!??!?!??! Not many, I assure you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The WW11 vets came home to a willing and complimentary population. They had advantages never offered to any veteran of any war at any time or any country.

Psychoblues

You aren't resentful of them are you? I would find that hard to believe. It is never the veterans fault how a war is perceived by the general population. Basically, in any war, all did what they were suppose to do. Different times, circumstances and socialogical settings decided which were seen as heroes and which were not.

Viet Nam vets clearly took the brunt of the public opinion of the times, something they certainly could not have been at fault for. Being bitter won't help though.

Liberals haven't exactly busted their ass to support this War's Veterans either. They have however jockeyed to take advantage of the circumstances surrounding the politics of it. The surge for example. It ended things quicker, which saved lives but was widely seen as distasteful to Democrats before it took place...... AND NOT SUPPORTED! Hmmmm!!!!

Can't blame that one on GW.

Reminder: Emmett is not a supporter of the War, or any War but facts are facts!

Psychoblues
03-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Resentful of who, emmie?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?

You aren't resentful of them are you? I would find that hard to believe. It is never the veterans fault how a war is perceived by the general population. Basically, in any war, all did what they were suppose to do. Different times, circumstances and socialogical settings decided which were seen as heroes and which were not.

Viet Nam vets clearly took the brunt of the public opinion of the times, something they certainly could not have been at fault for. Being bitter won't help though.

Liberals haven't exactly busted their ass to support this War's Veterans either. They have however jockeyed to take advantage of the circumstances surrounding the politics of it. The surge for example. It ended things quicker, which saved lives but was widely seen as distasteful to Democrats before it took place...... AND NOT SUPPORTED! Hmmmm!!!!

Can't blame that one on GW.

Reminder: Emmett is not a supporter of the War, or any War but facts are facts!

Keep up, can't you?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!???!

Psychoblues

MtnBiker
03-10-2009, 04:50 PM
3. y

Psychoblues
03-11-2009, 05:56 PM
3. y

Mtnbiker, you forgot to send me the Captain Blueberry decoder ring that you promised!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers2: :beer: :cheers2:

Psychoblues

glockmail
03-11-2009, 07:38 PM
No, you are wrong. The headlines should read "another brave soldier dies to satisfy the vendetta of selfish and vindictive former Commander in Chief." Because this worthless excuse for a man started a process that can never end. Wow- a true hater; blinded by it and totally incognizant of reality.

sgtdmski
03-13-2009, 03:55 AM

Didn't realize that you hated Franklin Delano Roosevelt so much.

dmk

sgtdmski
03-13-2009, 04:00 AM

Psychoblues

Really. I am a vet of the first Persian Gulf War, and of Panama, the members of the VFW have embraced me. Having been a member of the 82nd Airborne Division, I had the opportunity to meet many WWII vets, especially during All-American Week on post. What an honor that was. The only joke running between current members and former WWII members was the question about jumps. I spent 5 years at Bragg and had 53 jumps. I met a WWII vet who had a total of 5 jumps. 2 during training and 3 during combat. When asked how many jumps he had he would always reply 3. You see to them the only real jumps were the combat jumps.

Most of the WWII vets love to sit around and tell stories. You can see the gleam in their eyes, and sometimes a tear or two for a fallen comrade. If more people were like them, there would be a lot less wrong with this world today.

dmk