PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen, anyone?

dan
03-09-2009, 04:50 PM
I loved it. True enough to the graphic novel while still existing as its own work of art. I actually liked the movie better than the comic! (blasphemy on the internet) The special effects, and especially the sound, were outstanding. And, I've heard a lot of bad things about Malin Akerman's acting, but I thought she was outstanding and frankly I kind of fell in love with her (well, her character) over the course of this movie.

DannyR
03-09-2009, 04:52 PM
I loved it. True enough to the graphic novel while still existing as its own work of art. I actually liked the movie better than the comic! (blasphemy on the internet) The special effects, and especially the sound, were outstanding. And, I've heard a lot of bad things about Malin Akerman's acting, but I thought she was outstanding and frankly I kind of fell in love with her (well, her character) over the course of this movie.I'll probably watch it next weekend. Not certain I really want to see a big blue digital penis up on the big screen though.

dan
03-09-2009, 05:47 PM
I'll probably watch it next weekend. Not certain I really want to see a big blue digital penis up on the big screen though.

I mean, you see it in brief flashes maybe 3 or 4 times total. I saw it in IMAX, and I can't recommend it enough. All the small details that you'll lose at home more than make up for a quick look at a dick.

PostmodernProphet
03-09-2009, 09:25 PM
I went with my son and daughter's boyfriend, who both had read the series....I hadn't.....I didn't know WHAT was going on and kept asking myself...."why did they make a superhero movie with no action scenes".....this movie has more in common with Gibson's Apocolypto movie than it does with Batman......

emmett
03-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Say what?

PostmodernProphet
03-09-2009, 09:35 PM
okay....."what".....

take for example the scene in XMen 3 where they relocate the Golden Gate bridge to Alcatraz......now, what in Watchmen is the equivalent......shucks, you get about five repetitions of one strong guy throwing another strong guy through a couple walls.....a few meat cleavers stuck in somebody's head and a whole lot of angst......

the only guy I liked was Rorschach....he was a nasty bugger, but at least he was a predictable nasty bugger.....

DannyR
03-09-2009, 10:39 PM
this movie has more in common with Gibson's Apocolypto movie than it does with Batman......You're not far wrong there. Watchmen comic was much more about angst and "art" than action.

dan
03-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I worried that the ads, which made it look like typical superhero fare, would result in a lot of angry moviegoers. I guess I could see where you'd be disappointed going in if you were expecting that.

That said, I thought they did a great job with the few action sequences they did have, and I thought it was well-paced enough to keep the audience interested.

DannyR
03-17-2009, 05:12 PM
I finally saw the film and definitely enjoyed it. Its been 20 years or so since I read the comic, but it seemed pretty faithful to what I recall. Rorschach pretty much stole the show and I loved every scene he was in. The whole prison segment was awesome.

Very much a film about choosing the lesser of two evils. Not an action film so much as a thinking man's movie.

I mean, you see it in brief flashes maybe 3 or 4 times total. wow, you totally underestimated that. Pretty much half of every scene he was in the guy was naked. A lot more than just 3 or 4 shots. At least we get to see Malin Akerman in a scene to compensate. :thumb:

dan
03-17-2009, 05:53 PM
wow, you totally underestimated that. Pretty much half of every scene he was in the guy was naked. A lot more than just 3 or 4 shots. At least we get to see Malin Akerman in a scene to compensate. :thumb:

I wasn't really keeping that close track of the number of dong shots. But, yes indeed, Malin Akerman definitely made up for it.:thumb: