PDA

View Full Version : From Meccania to Atlantis - Part 9: Goodbye To All That

WendyGirl33
03-09-2009, 04:58 PM
From Meccania to Atlantis - Part 9: Goodbye To All That

Territory is identity. Body Snatchers who pump into any territory under their domain an unceasing stream of racially and culturally unrelated immigrants, rob the autochthon inhabitants of a part of their identity. It’s one of the gravest forms of aggression possible.

When in the Course of human events

The title of Chapter 9 is borrowed from Robert Graves. Graves (1895 -1985) was one of those people one could find only in Europe: an Anglo-Irish-German, he was an intellectual son and grandson of intellectuals, a poet, classicist and translator from Greek and Latin, Oxford University professor, novelist and author of 140 books, most remembered nowadays for his I, Claudius, made in 1976 into a hit BBC-Television series with Derek Jacobi in the title role.

But Graves was more than that. He was a champion pugilist and a heroic soldier. He served during World War 1 as an officer in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and was so severely wounded in the Battle of the Somme that he was given up for dead.

The horrors of the Great War and the imbecility of the British upper classes and military command that led to Great Britain’s hecatomb in that war caused Graves’s great disillusionment with his country. He left Great Britain in 1929 for Majorca, rarely to return for the next 56 years.

Prior to leaving, Graves published an autobiography, entitled Good Bye to All That. Known as one of the fiercest, most acerbic personal memoirs of the Great War, Graves’s book “seethes with contempt for his country, his social class, his military superiors, and the civilians who cheered the carnage from the safety of home. His portrait of the stupidity and petty cruelties endemic in England’s elite schools is almost as scathing as his depiction of trench warfare [snip], litany of meaningless death, horrific encounters with gruesomely decaying corpses, and even more appalling confrontations with the callousness and arrogance of the military command.”

What Robert Graves felt towards the ruling elite of his country after the Great War, some in the West feel toward the ruling elites of their countries after the Great Meltdown.

http://www.nationalpolicyinstitute.org/2009/03/08/from-meccania-to-atlantis-part-9-goodbye-to-all-that/

Kathianne
03-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Wendy, should I move this to history? Reviews? Military? I don't think Political Discussion is right forum. Convince me different?