PDA

View Full Version : jobs

03-10-2009, 06:31 PM
What is your dream job? If you could have any job what would it be?

Ive been debating this alot lately. Im not very happy with my current job. It pays the bills but i dont really get alot out of it. And im trying to figure out what would make me happy. which is ultimately: I have no freakin clue.

So im thinking alot lately. I need ideas.

MtnBiker
03-10-2009, 06:32 PM
What do you like to do? Is there any way of making money from that?

manu1959
03-10-2009, 06:35 PM
professional soccer coach.....

but back to you......what are your hobbies.....

Nukeman
03-10-2009, 06:36 PM
MY dream job would be

a video game tester for Nintendo while also working for Budweiser tasting new beer, and also trying out the new Lazy-boy chairs and trying out new Hanes underwear....

So in a nut shell sitting in a new lazy-boy recliner in Hanes underwear drinking beer while testing all the latest video games..... Of course this is MY dream job.....:cheers2:

03-10-2009, 06:43 PM
What do you like to do? Is there any way of making money from that?

chat on here. and probably not...

03-10-2009, 06:46 PM
professional soccer coach.....

but back to you......what are your hobbies.....

Reading
Writing
Comic Books
Singing
Arguing with people
Thinking up ideas
martial arts
Checking out women

Seriously, I have no clue what Im doing. I was thinking about teaching some law someday or maybe politics or history or something. But that be long term.

Kathianne
03-10-2009, 06:46 PM
What is your dream job? If you could have any job what would it be?

Ive been debating this alot lately. Im not very happy with my current job. It pays the bills but i dont really get alot out of it. And im trying to figure out what would make me happy. which is ultimately: I have no freakin clue.

So im thinking alot lately. I need ideas.Money is not object. I'd love to teach Western Civilization with self-designed lessons to the gifted in high school. I'm already AP certified, so not so much of a 'dream' as landing a job.

Yurt
03-10-2009, 06:48 PM
missionary. travel the world and spread truth. i'm not talking about knocking on skulls on making people believe as you do, but traveling, meeting people and sharing the truth.

i've thought many times in life that i knew the truth, how wrong i have been. i find that meeting many people through travels outside of your 'hood, is the best way to continue the journey to find the truth. the answer if you will. the answer may not exist or it may not be the answer i am looking for, but the journey of discovery trying to find the answer or truth is awesome. without it, life is boring.

from me to you though:

being a lawyer can be depressing, especially criminal. i have done some appellate work in post conviction and find it disheartening. yet, as you say, it pays the bills. have a cousin that is dating an attorney who does civil law. she said that he struggles daily with the moral implications of his firm's practice. i laughed....and said what....what moral implications. well, he represents the employer or the one with the money in all other situations. i said the same thing you said, well, it pays the bills. it seems even in civil law you can have conflicting morals. strange world we live in where the one who has the money is the evil one, yet we gladly represent them. hmmmm, wonder if jesus understands a lawyer's life. having to represent, at times, those you know are guilty to the ultimate judge.

yes, jesus is probably the greatest proverbial lawyer.

03-10-2009, 06:50 PM
missionary. travel the world and spread truth. i'm not talking about knocking on skulls on making people believe as you do, but traveling, meeting people and sharing the truth.

i've thought many times in life that i knew the truth, how wrong i have been. i find that meeting many people through travels outside of your 'hood, is the best way to continue the journey to find the truth. the answer if you will. the answer may not exist or it may not be the answer i am looking for, but the journey of discovery trying to find the answer or truth is awesome. without it, life is boring.

from me to you though:

being a lawyer can be depressing, especially criminal. i have done some appellate work in post conviction and find it disheartening. yet, as you say, it pays the bills. have a cousin that is dating an attorney who does civil law. she said that he struggles daily with the moral implications of his firm's practice. i laughed....and said what....what moral implications. well, he represents the employer or the one with the money in all other situations. i said the same thing you said, well, it pays the bills. it seems even in civil law you can have conflicting morals. strange world we live in where the one who has the money is the evil one, yet we gladly represent them. hmmmm, wonder if jesus understands a lawyer's life. having to represent, at times, those you know are guilty to the ultimate judge.

yes, jesus is probably the greatest proverbial lawyer.

Exactly, if I hadnt had a revelation of sorts during law school in that Jesus was the ultimate defense attorney, I dont think I could do my job. People have asked me if I ever wanted to be a prosecutor but thats a definite no for me. It just doesnt appeal to me and honestly, I really dont want to be standing in satans position as the ultimate accuser. Not saying that all prosecutors are evil or anything. Its just part of the motiff that bugs me.

And its not the defending of guilty people that bothers me as much as it feels like im not really doing anything. If it wasnt me it would be someone else. I want to do something uniquely me. Does that make any sense?

03-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Money is not object. I'd love to teach Western Civilization with self-designed lessons to the gifted in high school. I'm already AP certified, so not so much of a 'dream' as landing a job.

That is an awesome subject!

MtnBiker
03-10-2009, 06:52 PM
MY dream job would be

a video game tester for Nintendo while also working for Budweiser tasting new beer, and also trying out the new Lazy-boy chairs and trying out new Hanes underwear....

So in a nut shell sitting in a new lazy-boy recliner in Hanes underwear drinking beer while testing all the latest video games..... Of course this is MY dream job.....:cheers2:

you left out swim suit model photographer

Yurt
03-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Reading
Writing
Comic Books
Singing
Arguing with people
Thinking up ideas
martial arts
Checking out women

Seriously, I have no clue what Im doing. I was thinking about teaching some law someday or maybe politics or history or something. But that be long term.

being a law professor has to be awesome. you get to train others to be an advocate, you get to write books about how you see the law. essentially you have your own live blog/forum. you can even ban students :laugh2:

i don't really know you, but i can see you as a law prof.

Noir
03-10-2009, 06:55 PM
My dream job would be somthing in the line of politics, either at a local or national level, or (a prospect that has shocked my girlfriend) would be somthing along the lines of a street cleaner, don't ask why, I do t know why really, I just hate mess, and have been known to go around the street outside my work when I work late and pick up the rubbish the drunks have discarded.

03-10-2009, 06:56 PM
being a law professor has to be awesome. you get to train others to be an advocate, you get to write books about how you see the law. essentially you have your own live blog/forum. you can even ban students :laugh2:

i don't really know you, but i can see you as a law prof.

I think it would be way fun. Get to read all day... well and teach. People treat you like you have a clue on what you are talking about.

Thing is its not exactly an easy profession to get into. And i dont know that id want to teach solely law. or even legal theory. Maybe the history of law or something. I dont know.

I just know i need more money than im making now and a job i dont hate.

Kathianne
03-10-2009, 06:56 PM
I think it would be way fun. Get to read all day... well and teach. People treat you like you have a clue on what you are talking about.

Thing is its not exactly an easy profession to get into. And i dont know that id want to teach solely law. or even legal theory. Maybe the history of law or something. I dont know.

Pay off the loans, email Glenn Reynolds. He'd help you as would a bunch of folks on Volokh Conspiracy or Chicago Boyz. Memo to self: Get Phd.

Yurt
03-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Exactly, if I hadnt had a revelation of sorts during law school in that Jesus was the ultimate defense attorney, I dont think I could do my job. People have asked me if I ever wanted to be a prosecutor but thats a definite no for me. It just doesnt appeal to me and honestly, I really dont want to be standing in satans position as the ultimate accuser. Not saying that all prosecutors are evil or anything. Its just part of the motiff that bugs me.

And its not the defending of guilty people that bothers me as much as it feels like im not really doing anything. If it wasnt me it would be someone else. I want to do something uniquely me. Does that make any sense?

that does make sense. i don't know your situation, but even if there are 100 other defense attorney's in your area, you are uniquely you. no one else does your job, no one else represents your clients like you do. you are unique.

my dad's attorney is a former partner in a huge LA law firm. he retired early and now has his own practice and practices solely out of his house - well, he built an office next to his house. the guy charges insane $$ per hour. without giving his rate out, i can safely say he charges over $500/hr. i've worked with him and he has mentored me. i can't find anything that justifies his rates. yet, he is experienced and he lives the law. his mind is amazing. so maybe that justifies his rates. apparently people believe his skills are unique, so unique that they are willing to pay him his rate.

03-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Pay off the loans, email Glenn Reynolds. He'd help you as would a bunch of folks on Volokh Conspiracy or Chicago Boyz. Memo to self: Get Phd.

who?

Yurt
03-10-2009, 07:07 PM

:laugh2:

come on, that is worth the salary. a bunch of 1L's worshipping you, some 2L's challenging you and then some 3L's thinking your're stupid and in reality you get to pwnd them in class. :cool:

seriously though, that job is impressive. that job molds future attorneys.

03-10-2009, 09:46 PM

come on, that is worth the salary. a bunch of 1L's worshipping you, some 2L's challenging you and then some 3L's thinking your're stupid and in reality you get to pwnd them in class. :cool:

I know it is. It's very cool.

manu1959
03-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Reading
Writing
Comic Books
Singing
Arguing with people
Thinking up ideas
martial arts
Checking out women

why don't you write a comic book opera about a attorney martial arts supper hero that checks out women with his xray vision.....

i like the law prof idea for you.......it suits who i think you are.....

DannyR
03-10-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm pretty close to my dream job. Work with some of the nation's top scientists doing medical research that will likely save lives in the future. Also as one of the more technically savvy people in our department, I manage the network and have access to the latest and greatest computers, which keeps my gaming hobby very satisfied. ;-)

Only regret is that my dream of becoming a pilot/astronaut was derailed by my extremely poor eyesight and health (so couldn't get into the military) and massive layoffs of pilots during the late 80's. (Eastern bankruptcy, etc) I just didn't see the possibility of a job that direction, so changed my aerospace major and went another way. However it appears this was just a dream defered, as I'm currently studying to get my license anyway.

Mr. P
03-10-2009, 10:40 PM
avatar4321..did you ever see "Three Days of the Condor"?

It was a spy movie...Robert Redford played a book proof reader in a dull boring office all day. But, he was in fact a CIA agent who did have a very exciting life. Good movie.

I see you in somewhat the same way, but as a legal research guy...bored as hell at work, with a Walter Mitty fantasy of being a super hero of some sort.

jackass
03-11-2009, 04:14 PM

So im thinking alot lately. I need ideas.

You and me both! I did enjoy doing computers but I would say it was my dream job. I cant think of anything that would be my dream job. Maybe a marine biologist. I think I can scratch that off the list though :(

03-11-2009, 06:32 PM
You and me both! I did enjoy doing computers but I would say it was my dream job. I cant think of anything that would be my dream job. Maybe a marine biologist. I think I can scratch that off the list though :(

That's just it i want to try lots of things for one. and im not sure Id actually like anything.

Teaching would be cool.
Maybe running for office.
Having my own firm might be interesting if i find an area of law i really like.
Maybe in house counsel would be cool.

There are just so many different options. And i really dont know what Id like to do most.

Kathianne
03-11-2009, 06:46 PM
That's just it i want to try lots of things for one. and im not sure Id actually like anything.

Teaching would be cool.
Maybe running for office.
Having my own firm might be interesting if i find an area of law i really like.
Maybe in house counsel would be cool.

There are just so many different options. And i really dont know what Id like to do most.

I can say, teaching is way cool! Of course there are days where I'd beg to differ with that, but in the main, yeah, tis cool!

I'm not close to 'burnt out' on middle school, but would like to move up to high school full time. The local community college has asked me to teach an adult constitution class for people wishing to become citizens. I'm considering, but am afraid my hearing issues, compounded with accents may make them uncomfortable.

I've never taught 'adults', (over 18), before. The school says be forward in the hearing issue, then do what I do. They are impressed with my "We the People" affiliation and standards writing.

I can see you doing something like that.

03-11-2009, 07:16 PM
I think id prefer to teach adults. I like kids. but i dont think i have the patience to try to teach them. I think with adults there can be more discussion and I freaking love discussion.

KitchenKitten99
03-12-2009, 01:15 PM
My dream career (not job, career) is starting to take root now.

I want to open my own restaurant before I turn 40. Not just any restaurant and the concept for it is so unique that so far it has yet to be done. And no, I will not spill the beans. My idea is only known by 3 other people and they are sworn to secrecy!

If things go as planned I will be starting culinary school Aug 17. However I might even bump it up sooner as they have classes start in July too.

Abbey Marie
03-12-2009, 01:48 PM

I thought about that at one time. Beats practicing.

As yet another lawyer who was dissatisfied with the career, I understand how you all feel. I left it, and after a short career in banking in NYC, I moved on to software testing and technical writing. I have never regretted it. The money was never the same, but seeing my name on computer publications was a bigger thrill than anything I ever did in law.

If I could go back and do it all over again, I might still go to law school for the unparalelled education in logical thinking. But this time, I would have to be addressed as "Your Honor". :beer:

Note to Kath: My daughter is about to graduate HS, and her favorite course, ever, is her current one in AP US and Comparative Governments. Taught by a former Marine, no less.

Abbey Marie
03-12-2009, 01:50 PM
And if I can really do it all over again, I'm with JA: Marine Biology.
(My original college major, haha).

LiberalNation
03-12-2009, 02:25 PM
My dream job, to live in wealth and luxury and never work again.

hjmick
03-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Reading
Writing
Comic Books
Singing
Arguing with people
Thinking up ideas
martial arts
Checking out women

A book editor.

Me, I've always wanted to own a neighborhood bar and grill in a small midwest town. Like the one my grandfather used to take me to in Chillicothe when I was a kid. That, or running an inn in Key West or some other tropical local.

jackass
03-12-2009, 03:17 PM
I have also wanted to own my own place that I could hand down to the kids if they wanted. Either a local pub or a mom and pop restaurant.