PDA

View Full Version : Obama lied, admits pork, accepts imperfect bill

Yurt
03-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Obama says he accepts 'imperfect' spending bill

WASHINGTON – Acknowledging it's an "imperfect" bill, President Barack Obama said Wednesday he will accept a $410 billion spending package that includes billions in earmarks like those he promised to curb in last year's campaign. But he insisted the bill must signal an "end to the old way of doing business."

The massive measure funding federal agencies through the fall contains nearly 8,000 pet projects, known as earmarks and denounced by critics as pork.

Obama defended earmarks when they're "done right," allowing lawmakers to direct money to worthy projects in their districts. But he said they've been abused, and he promised to work with Congress to curb them.

"I am signing an imperfect omnibus bill because it's necessary for the ongoing functions of government," Obama declared. "But I also view this as a departure point for more far-reaching change."

In a sign of his discomfort with the bill, Obama planned to sign the bill quietly rather than in public. He declined to answer a shouted reporters' question about why.

Running for president, Obama denounced the many pet projects as wasteful and open to abuse — and vowed to rein them in.

Explaining his decision, Obama said that future earmarks must have a "legitimate and worthy public purpose", and the any earmark for a private company should be subject to competitive bidding rules. Plus he said he'll "work with Congress" to eliminate any the administration objects to.

But he acknowledged that earmarks have bred "cynicism", and he declared, "This piece of legislation must mark an end to the old way of doing business."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090311/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_spending;_ylt=AqV7hk8enNWJzlmazgipoDIEtbAF

its quite humorous to see obama's puppets on this site declare that there are no earmarks or pork in the bill....and then to have their dear leader admit there are earmarks/pork :laugh2:

Yurt
03-11-2009, 03:37 PM
the silence of the dems

http://www.hecklerspray.com/imppix/photos/uncategorized/everybody_is_wrong_silence_lambs_hopkins.jpg

Yurt
03-11-2009, 09:11 PM
i surprised jagger and his ilk have not come in here to continue their stance that there is no pork

Kathianne
03-11-2009, 09:13 PM
i surprised jagger and his ilk have not come in here to continue their stance that there is no pork

But, they will deal with pork next year, really. :rolleyes: