PDA

View Full Version : DUI Defendant Claims He Is His Own Country

-Cp
03-12-2009, 03:14 AM
EASTON, Pa. — A man accused of driving drunk said Pennsylvania courts have no jurisdiction over him because he's his own country. After seeing the paperwork that 44-year-old Scott Allan Witmer filed with the court claiming sovereignty, a Northampton County judge said Tuesday he cannot be released from jail until he gets a mental exam.

Witmer, who represented himself, said he believes police lack jurisdiction to pull him over. As he said in court: "I live inside myself, not in Pennsylvania." He said there is no victim in the crime and asked to go to trial.

Defense attorney James Connell, Witmer's standby counsel, said a challenge to the traffic stop would need to be filed as a pretrial motion.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,508951,00.html

Noir
03-12-2009, 03:48 AM
EASTON, Pa. — A man accused of driving drunk said Pennsylvania courts have no jurisdiction over him because he's his own country. After seeing the paperwork that 44-year-old Scott Allan Witmer filed with the court claiming sovereignty, a Northampton County judge said Tuesday he cannot be released from jail until he gets a mental exam.

Witmer, who represented himself, said he believes police lack jurisdiction to pull him over. As he said in court: "I live inside myself, not in Pennsylvania." He said there is no victim in the crime and asked to go to trial.

Defense attorney James Connell, Witmer's standby counsel, said a challenge to the traffic stop would need to be filed as a pretrial motion.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,508951,00.html

(sorry I had to quote the whole OP but my phone wouldn't post a 'quick reply')

xD
This guy better get his ass kicked in court, can you believe some people are so scandalous as to come up with such things?

PostmodernProphet
03-12-2009, 07:22 AM
I expect he forgot to stop drinking before he prepared his defense....

hjmick
03-12-2009, 03:01 PM
I am a rock... I am an island...

DannyR
03-12-2009, 03:20 PM
The guy's claim might be perfectly valid, but he's missing the small little bit of fine print... before diplomatic immunity can exist, the state in question must recognize that nation as independent.

I think justice would be served if the guy gets deported. ;-) Since he lives only within himself, it shouldn't matter if we just push him out in a boat.

LiberalNation
03-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Think of the ego......