PDA

View Full Version : An interesting event in Texas

Binky
03-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Here's something I found interesting in my email this morning. Just had to share with you.

An Interesting Event in Victoria, Texas...
Victoria, Texas (pop. 55,000) is a town about 80 miles west of Houston.

Local Hispanic leaders there, in opposition to pending Immigration
Legislation, boycotted all Caucasian owned businesses in the Victoria
area this past weekend as a demonstration of their economic impact on the
community. The boycott was declared a success by the Hispanic community,
noting that revenue in Caucasian owned businesses was down by 19%.

Business owners declared the boycott a success as well, pointing out that
shoplifting was reduced by 77%, money orders sent out of the country were
down by 97%, and the cost of daily clean-up and trash collection was down
by 84%. Shoppers reported that they could actually hear English being
spoken throughout the community for the first time in recent memory, and
customers actually paid for purchases with real money, not government
debit cards.

Nukeman
03-12-2009, 03:55 PM
:lol::lol::lol::clap::clap::coffee:

You just gotta love the truth sometimes.............:salute::beer:

LiberalNation
03-12-2009, 03:57 PM
you mean racist crap. I'm sure the businesses weren't so happy about the 20% loss and you can bet they don't mind the money from those government debit cards one bit.

Nukeman
03-12-2009, 04:04 PM
you mean racist crap. I'm sure the businesses weren't so happy about the 20% loss and you can bet they don't mind the money from those government debit cards one bit.You really don't have a clue do you... If their THEFT is down by high of a % than that is like money in the bank to the business owners. Also if you don't have to pay someone OVERTIME to clean up the mess made that is also money in the bank.

Is it really racist to point out that on a day when a certain racial group doesn't show up their SHOPLIFTING goes down by 77%???? Nope just those pesky facts.

I will say that is was VERY racist of those Hispanics to TARGET all white owned businesses when the group they disagree with is the gov. Those white business owners were targeted based only on race nothing else. So yes it was racist of them.

Noir
03-12-2009, 04:39 PM
is there any source for this? Cus I could easily sit down and write that sotra thing and send it about.

Kathianne
03-12-2009, 04:46 PM
snopes.com

FALSE

http://www.snopes.com/politics/immigration/shoplift.asp

Noir
03-12-2009, 05:05 PM
snopes.com

FALSE

*shock*

Who'd of thunk it?

Cheers for adding some common sense to the thread kathi

hjmick
03-12-2009, 05:07 PM
is there any source for this? Cus I could easily sit down and write that sotra thing and send it about.

I have not been able to find any credible source to validate this story. Examples of a "boycott of Caucasian businesses in Victoria, Texas" renders multiple results on Google, all with various dates ranging from May, June, and August of 2008 to February of this year. All of these are blog or forum entries, one is even a "tasteless jokes" Google group, but none are legitimate news organizations.

The closest thing I found that would lend credence to this story being true comes from a blog entry over at Townhall from June of last year, and I doubt the truth of the story. After posting the story (http://rightwingers.blogtownhall.com/2008/06/04/boycott_a_success!.thtml), albeit a slightly different version, the blog author states:

While this is slightly (very slightly) toungue in cheek, there was a boycott, and the results were similar if not precisely as noted above.

This statement leads me to believe that this portion of the story:

Business owners declared the boycott a success as well, pointing out that shoplifting was reduced by 77%, money orders sent out of the country were down by 97%, and the cost of daily clean-up and trash collection was down by 84%. Shoppers reported that they could actually hear English being spoken throughout the community for the first time in recent memory, and customers actually paid for purchases with real money, not government debit cards.

...was added for humorous effect.

hjmick
03-12-2009, 05:09 PM
snopes.com

FALSE

Nicely done, Kath. My initial cursory search at Snopes returned nothing. I must have used the wrong keywords.

Kathianne
03-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Nicely done, Kath. My initial cursory search at Snopes returned nothing. I must have used the wrong keywords.

Can be tricky. I used: Texas boycott caucasian

Grad school helps with searches. ;)

Mr. P
03-12-2009, 06:57 PM
If it comes via E-mail IT"S ALWAYS SUSPECT.

That's how I look at it anyway.

Binky
03-13-2009, 09:00 AM
I have not been able to find any credible source to validate this story. Examples of a "boycott of Caucasian businesses in Victoria, Texas" renders multiple results on Google, all with various dates ranging from May, June, and August of 2008 to February of this year. All of these are blog or forum entries, one is even a "tasteless jokes" Google group, but none are legitimate news organizations.

The closest thing I found that would lend credence to this story being true comes from a blog entry over at Townhall from June of last year, and I doubt the truth of the story. After posting the story (http://rightwingers.blogtownhall.com/2008/06/04/boycott_a_success!.thtml), albeit a slightly different version, the blog auth

This statement leads me to believe that this portion of the story:

...was added for humorous effect.

Believe whatever you wish to believe. As I stated, it came in my email and I did not embellish on it. That's exactly how I received it.

Noir
03-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Believe whatever you wish to believe. As I stated, it came in my email and I did not embellish on it. That's exactly how I received it.

It has been well established that the content of the e-mail is a lie, and a racist lie at that.

Nukeman
03-13-2009, 10:03 AM
It has been well established that the content of the e-mail is a lie, and a racist lie at that.

Foregoing the validity of the "e-mail", what exactly is the racist part??? The part stating that theft was down or the part about the hispainics targeting ONLY white owned businesses....

Noir
03-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Foregoing the validity of the "e-mail", what exactly is the racist part??? The part stating that theft was down or the part about the hispainics targeting ONLY white owned businesses....

There are 2 racist parts to the story
The first being that white businesses are being boycotted simply because the owners are white.
The second being the presumption (sp?) that less hyspanic shoppers lead to a drop in shoplifting and causing a mess ect.

Only a fool would see only one part of the racism.

emmett
03-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Be it that Victoria is heavily a hispanic demographic area.... ANY reduction in patronage , be it for whatever reason would lead to a drop off of shoplifting. There do not seem to be any stats available to suggest that hispanics "shoplift" at a rate any different than others.

On the other hand, if hispanics declared a boycott against white owned businesses, I would interpret that as racist since it is such!

What they are not thinking about however in their short sightedness is that the tax money collected from sales goes into the city kitty. If I have to explain the rest of that...well.....

Furthermore... it is no secret that if you own a business in san Francisco and you even so much as whisper that you are not a homo, you will fail in your business. Blacks buy from blacks regularly in businesses all over the country. Asians from asians. Are all those people racist because they choose to support their own?

Binky
03-16-2009, 03:21 PM

Still doesn't change the fact that I didn't write any part of it and only passed it along.

Binky
03-16-2009, 03:24 PM

:laugh2::laugh2: