PDA

View Full Version : "Red Light Cameras"

Kathianne
03-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Does anyone think they are a good idea?

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/maryland/031009_motorists_seeing_red_over_red_light_cameras

Motorists Seeing Red
over Red Light Cameras
Last Edited: Thursday, 12 Mar 2009, 5:18 PM EDT
Created On: Tuesday, 10 Mar 2009, 10:53 PM EDT

Roby Chavez
NEW CARROLLTON,, Md. - The town of New Carrollton's new mobile red light cameras are snapping up pictures like the paparazzi and motorists are calling the cameras out.

Danielle King got two tickets and says she's been wrongly accused. "I got caught by one up there," says King referring to the cameras along route 450.

Motorists complain they are being wrongly accused. King says," I think they need to go away. I just think they are unfair. They need to go away."

Fox 5 photographers stood at one intersection near 85th Avenue and caught the camera popping off like popcorn. Each ticket is a 75 dollar citation. One motorist shared his ticket.
He got cited in his white van, but a closer look at the ticket shows the vehicle is at a complete stop. Complaints are pouring in.

AAA Mid-Atlantic's John Townsend says it appears drivers are getting ticketed; not for running the red light, but for stopping over the white line....

hjmick
03-13-2009, 05:57 PM
They've been a fact of life in my area for many years now. Since I don't run red lights and since I do not frequent areas with cameras, it's not much of a big deal to me. The municipalities here in California are required to post signs announcing the cameras, so that's a plus. All that being said, I think they're a bad idea. For one thing, they ticket the car, not the driver.

5stringJeff
03-13-2009, 06:17 PM
I used to favor them, but I've changed my mind.

DannyR
03-13-2009, 08:59 PM
A few cities here in Georgia have started turning them off lately. Appears they worked well enough to stop wrecks, and now actually cost more to administer than they bring in with revenue.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2009/03/13/red_light_camera_cost.html

darin
03-13-2009, 09:13 PM
They work very well at generating revenue at the cost of increased rear-end accidents and more of 'the man' involved in our lives. :(

Immanuel
03-13-2009, 09:18 PM
They work very well at generating revenue at the cost of increased rear-end accidents and more of 'the man' involved in our lives. :(

They are a wonderful tool for the Body Shops as well. :laugh2:

Immie

Mr. P
03-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Been for em from the start..still am.

Immanuel
03-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Been for em from the start..still am.

Do you own a body shop by chance?

Immie

emmett
03-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Huge.... HUGE HUGE infringement on civil liberty! It places innocent people in the position of being wrongfully accused. it happens with great frequency and that...to me...makes it a worthless, encroaching and purposeless method of law enforcement.

As a Libertarian, I want to be able to.... and I want all of my fellow citizens to be able to move about freely, to go anywhere they want to go, do whatever they want to do and not fear gustapo style law enforcement tactics that unfairly exploit individuals innoc

emmett
03-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Huge infringement on civil liberty! Causes wrongful accusations to be made against innocent soveriegn citizens of the United States of America. Worthless form of law enforcement that has shown absolutely no influence of contributing to a safer society what so ever.

Mr. P
03-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Do you own a body shop by chance?

Immie

No, but I've had to avoid assholes that run red lights many times. Been lucky many folks aren't.

The cameras help a great deal.

emmett
03-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Anybody got any idea what I am doing?

Mr. P
03-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Anybody got any idea what I am doing?

Paying yer red light camera ticket?

emmett
03-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Paying yer red light camera ticket?

:lol:

Immanuel
03-13-2009, 10:12 PM
No, but I've had to avoid assholes that run red lights many times. Been lucky many folks aren't.

The cameras help a great deal.

Yeah? Well, I've been run off the road (once) or cut off more than a few times by assholes talking on cell phones. Join the club.

Immie

Mr. P
03-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Yeah? Well, I've been run off the road (once) or cut off more than a few times by assholes talking on cell phones. Join the club.

Immie

Guessing I've been in the club way longer than you. :poke:

Immanuel
03-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Guessing I've been in the club way longer than you. :poke:

I think I saw you post your age once before... that being the case, I'd say yes, but probably not as much longer as you think. :poke:

Immie

Mr. P
03-13-2009, 10:43 PM
I think I saw you post your age once before... that being the case, I'd say yes, but probably not as much longer as you think. :poke:

Immie

I have never posted my age...musta been someone else.

Immanuel
03-13-2009, 10:47 PM
I have never posted my age...musta been someone else.

Not exact age, but I think you gave an indication as in you were in... let me see, weren't you in Nam? Which gives me the general idea that you are probably about 10-15 years older than I am. Maybe more if you were an old salt, returning to duty just for the hell of it.

Immie