PDA

View Full Version : How My Dad Is Doing

Kathianne
04-02-2007, 07:27 PM
I really appreciated the very nice comments here, when nice comments were hard to come by. For those interested, I thought I'd update. I'm asking though, if you have nothing nice to say, please just ignore this.

My dad could not have IV chemo, his bad kidneys would not tolerate it, which was part of the reason for the sad prognosis. The oncologist decided though, to try oral, which are not as strong but might make him 'more comfortable.' Still and all, in January the prognosis was 3-6 months.

He started the oral chemo in January. 2 weeks ago, finished the 3rd round. Last tuesday went in for a 'scan.' Got the results last Monday. The tumor is smaller. :clap: While he's unhappy about losing his hair, that was the only side effect, (well and about 10 pounds and being more tired), but WOW!

I don't know if it changes the prognosis, but smaller is better, no?

Anyways, I wanted to say 'thank you' to those that prayed for him and wished good thoughts. Thank you.

Mr. P
04-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Been there. It’s a tough road to walk, I wish you all the best.

Kathianne
04-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Been there. It’s a tough road to walk, I wish you all the best.

Thank you. For the first time I'm not looking for a new position. While I thank God for the good news, I'm well aware that at this time next year, my dad should be with my mom.

I'm thankful for the time we do have, I do not begrudge the time I give for a new position.

MtnBiker
04-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Best wishes for you and your dad.

Abbey Marie
04-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Best wishes, Kathianne, for your Dad. I know how hard it is to watch a parent go through these kinds of things.

manu1959
04-02-2007, 10:11 PM
all the best to you and your family and your dad

5stringJeff
04-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Best wishes. And tell him bald is beautiful! :)

Kathianne
04-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Best wishes. And tell him bald is beautiful! :)

Thank you! LOL! He's adjusting to the low maintance factor. ;)

Gaffer
04-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Bald means never having to shampoo your head.

Kathianne
04-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Well like Mr. P said, none of this is easy. I came home about 5:30, expecting to make dinner. No one home. Wednesdays are my dad's day to go to movie and lunch with friends, so I wasn't freaking, figured they were late.

Reading here and there, but then it's closing in on 7pm. After looking for notes, decide maybe I should hear voicemail. Sure enough, seems he'd had a vertigo attack and meds weren't working. He was admitted to hospital.

Call nursing station for him, he's asleep and comfortable. Tests were done, no results. Call my brother, who happens to be pulling up in hospital lot.

He calls me, but we can't get connected. I call my dad's room, nurse answers, brother gone, dad asleep. (less than 30 minutes total).

Arrggg!!!