PDA

View Full Version : Calif. teachers see red over mass pink slips

crin63
03-14-2009, 03:21 PM
As far as I'm concerned all the teachers should be laid off, the teachers union dissolved and all the schools privatized. Our kids might actually get a decent education then. The public high school in my city lost its accreditation because its such a lousy school.

Calif. teachers see red over mass pink slips

Mar 14, 5:34 AM (ET)

By LISA LEFF

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - In a spring rite that has become as predictable as cherry blossoms in the nation's capital, public school employees throughout California warned of wrenching classroom cuts as local officials faced a deadline for issuing layoff notices to educators.

The state Department of Education estimates that preliminary pink slips will have been handed to 26,500 teachers by the Sunday cutoff - two-and-a-half times as many as were issued last year. Another 15,000 bus drivers, janitors, secretaries and administrators also were expected to receive the written warnings, said Superintendent of Public Instruction Jack O'Connell.

Because of the state's less-than-rosy economic outlook, California's 1,000 K-12 school districts have been instructed to absorb more than $8 billion in funding cuts over the next year. To draw attention to the situation, teachers and parents wore pink clothes and waved pink protest signs for a day California's largest teachers' union dubbed "Pink Friday."

Rosemarie Ochoa, a fifth-grade teacher who's in her third year with the San Lorenzo Unified School District, said she was pulled out of class Monday by a district official bearing a pink slip.

"I smiled at her because I knew what she was there for," said Ochoa, 28, who was among 76 of the district's 640 teachers who got a notice this week. "Then I had to go back to my students and retain my composure."

But in another annual ritual, many, if not most, of the early layoff notices could end up being withdrawn by June, especially if the state can devote some of its federal stimulus money to education, officials said.

Six years ago, for example, all but 3,000 of the 20,000 teacher pink slips that went out statewide were rescinded.

---

Associated Press writer Lorinda Toledo contributed to this story from Alhambra.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090314/D96TNKAO0.html

Kathianne
03-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Granted few districts are giving tenure this year, because of budget problems. But pink slips at this time of year, in public schools, is a ritual. It's called RIF, meaning they are letting you go, until all contracts are signed and new numbers are crunched. When money isn't so tight, most find they are rehired for the next year before summer break. However, this year I wouldn't be surprised for many to still be waiting until July or Aug.

It's the nature of the system, until you get tenure. In IL, they can RIF and not give tenure for 5 years-then they either must give tenure or let you go.

sgtdmski
03-15-2009, 05:05 AM
One of the things that gets to me the most is the salary demands of teachers. Especially considering that they are only working 9 months out of the year. Many times when we talk about teacher's salaries we forget to take this into consideration.

The average salary for a teacher in California is $45,000. Remember this is for only nine months of work. Now if they worked a full year, that salary could be $60,000.

Now I know many teachers work throughout the year, but all do not. I like them work only about 7 months out of the year, taking 5 months off to fish, camp and hunt. This is a choice I made, and as such I pay for the decision by not having much income come in during the months I am off.

Every year I listen as teachers demand to be paid more, and every year I remind myself that we must take in to consideration the fact they only work 3/4 of a year. We do not underpay our teachers. We pay them quite well. If they decided to work those 3 months that they are usually off, then they themselves would be much better off and we would not have to listen to them complain.

If we want to spend more on education here is a novel idea--eliminate the Federal and State Department of Educations. For every $1 we pay to education only $0.38 makes it to the classroom to buy books, equipment and pay teachers. More than 2/3s of the money we spend on education is being eaten up by the beaucracy, cut it out and we could triple our funding to the classroom.

dmk

CockySOB
03-15-2009, 07:16 AM
It's the nature of the system, until you get tenure. In IL, they can RIF and not give tenure for 5 years-then they either must give tenure or let you go.

For the Illinois community college system, tenure is at 3 years by statute.

Kathianne
03-15-2009, 07:33 AM
For the Illinois community college system, tenure is at 3 years by statute.

I don't know if the Type 3 & 9 are the same as ICCS? Last I knew it was 5 years. Doesn't pertain to me.

crin63
03-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Granted few districts are giving tenure this year, because of budget problems. But pink slips at this time of year, in public schools, is a ritual. It's called RIF, meaning they are letting you go, until all contracts are signed and new numbers are crunched. When money isn't so tight, most find they are rehired for the next year before summer break. However, this year I wouldn't be surprised for many to still be waiting until July or Aug.

Hey Kat, In my city teachers have already been let go. One of my friends lost her job last week. This lady that lost her job is one of my wifes best friends and her husband is one of my best friends. He is a teacher as well but he still has his job.

Kathianne
03-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Hey Kat, In my city teachers have already been let go. One of my friends lost her job last week. This lady that lost her job is one of my wifes best friends and her husband is one of my best friends. He is a teacher as well but he still has his job.

She lost her job in March? What happened? Kids abandoning her grade this year?

Binky
03-16-2009, 04:12 PM
As far as I'm concerned, teachers aren't paid enough. They have to put up with a lot of bratty behavior and disrespect. And many of them have a couple of hours of homework to correct once they arrive home. And let's not forget the time they take out of their own time to get lessons ready for the next day. They don't get paid for that time.

It's a job I wouldn't want. I would have to smack some kid for running his mouth off at me as I hate disrespect. And then the powers that be would have to fire me. Nope, not the job I'd ever take.

By the time the school lets out for the summer those teachers need a break from all the crapola they have to put up with.

Little-Acorn
03-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Remind me again, why government control and support of schools is a good thing?

Kathianne
03-16-2009, 04:32 PM
As far as I'm concerned, teachers aren't paid enough. They have to put up with a lot of bratty behavior and disrespect. And many of them have a couple of hours of homework to correct once they arrive home. And let's not forget the time they take out of their own time to get lessons ready for the next day. They don't get paid for that time.

It's a job I wouldn't want. I would have to smack some kid for running his mouth off at me as I hate disrespect. And then the powers that be would have to fire me. Nope, not the job I'd ever take.

By the time the school lets out for the summer those teachers need a break from all the crapola they have to put up with.

Thanks for that. I think public school teachers in most places, are compensated fairly, at least nowadays. The idea that teachers work '9 months of the year' is pretty much hokum, along with the 8-3 hours. I have to constantly take college level course or worse yet, attend boring, irrelevant lectures on topics that you wouldn't want to hear about. The classes I don't mind, except for the cost.

I'm not in a public school, I just cleared $35k in my 10th year, next year it will go down, as the school can't afford to pay the $1500 for lunch duty and our salaries are frozen:

Median Salary by Years Experience - Bar Association: DuPage County Bar Association (United States)

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2848/mediansalarybyyearsexpe.jpg (http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mediansalarybyyearsexpe.jpg)

actsnoblemartin
03-16-2009, 06:44 PM
if you were any more right i'd have to pay you :beer:

As far as I'm concerned all the teachers should be laid off, the teachers union dissolved and all the schools privatized. Our kids might actually get a decent education then. The public high school in my city lost its accreditation because its such a lousy school.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090314/D96TNKAO0.html

actsnoblemartin
03-16-2009, 06:45 PM
its about as good, as rice cakes

Remind me again, why government control and support of schools is a good thing?

Kathianne
03-16-2009, 06:46 PM
its about as good, as rice cakes

Umm, but rice cakes are good.

actsnoblemartin
03-16-2009, 06:47 PM
i think they taste like shippy doodle :poke:

Binky
03-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Thanks for that. I think public school teachers in most places, are compensated fairly, at least nowadays. The idea that teachers work '9 months of the year' is pretty much hokum, along with the 8-3 hours. I have to constantly take college level course or worse yet, attend boring, irrelevant lectures on topics that you wouldn't want to hear about. The classes I don't mind, except for the cost.

I'm not in a public school, I just cleared $35k in my 10th year, next year it will go down, as the school can't afford to pay the $1500 for lunch duty and our salaries are frozen:

Median Salary by Years Experience - Bar Association: DuPage County Bar Association (United States)

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2848/mediansalarybyyearsexpe.jpg (http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mediansalarybyyearsexpe.jpg)

It's a real bummer when one goes to college for years to be a teacher, has a load of crapola to deal with and then only makes $35k-$45k. Considering the effort and time it takes to deal with parents, students, lessons etc., the only reason I can see to make it worth while is when a teacher actually reaches the minds of students and know those students will come out of it all ok able to make his/her way in the world. To have played a major role in opening up the world to them has to give one a euphoric feeling.

Kathianne
03-17-2009, 06:58 PM
It's a real bummer when one goes to college for years to be a teacher, has a load of crapola to deal with and then only makes $35k-$45k. Considering the effort and time it takes to deal with parents, students, lessons etc., the only reason I can see to make it worth while is when a teacher actually reaches the minds of students and know those students will come out of it all ok able to make his/her way in the world. To have played a major role in opening up the world to them has to give one a euphoric feeling.

Well the money sucks, at least in parochial schools, but how many folks have high school and college kids come back and say, "Thank you, you made a real difference in my life. In how I view the world?" I just got a wedding invite, a letter included, saying he really wish I'd attend. Asking if it would be alright with me if he made a toast to me, saying I helped him realize way back in 7th grade, what was important in life. What characteristics to look for?" I emailed him and said I'd never said/taught anything like that. He said, "You did. You probably didn't realize that when you made us figure out motivation of actors, you were teaching us qualities in people important to us. I learned that and used it in college and picking my fiance." Damn!

With that kind of review, I don't need my principal's or even an increase in salary. :laugh2:

Yurt
03-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Well the money sucks, at least in parochial schools, but how many folks have high school and college kids come back and say, "Thank you, you made a real difference in my life. In how I view the world?" I just got a wedding invite, a letter included, saying he really wish I'd attend. Asking if it would be alright with me if he made a toast to me, saying I helped him realize way back in 7th grade, what was important in life. What characteristics to look for?" I emailed him and said I'd never said/taught anything like that. He said, "You did. You probably didn't realize that when you made us figure out motivation of actors, you were teaching us qualities in people important to us. I learned that and used it in college and picking my fiance." Damn!

With that kind of review, I don't need my principal's or even an increase in salary. :laugh2:

thats pretty cool. i remember only a few teachers that had that kind of impact on my life. congrats to you. and honestly, take the pay, you deserve it. IMO

Kathianne
03-17-2009, 08:27 PM
thats pretty cool. i remember only a few teachers that had that kind of impact on my life. congrats to you. and honestly, take the pay, you deserve it. IMO

Thanks. I wish I could get an increase. Seems we may be facing salary freeze, in spite of contract. I'm down $1500 for next year, regardless, since they no longer pay us for lunch duty. So if freeze comes to pass, more likely than not, I'm taking pay cut.

actsnoblemartin
03-17-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks. I wish I could get an increase. Seems we may be facing salary freeze, in spite of contract. I'm down $1500 for next year, regardless, since they no longer pay us for lunch duty. So if freeze comes to pass, more likely than not, I'm taking pay cut.

im deeply sorry to hear that :(--

Kathianne
03-17-2009, 08:36 PM
im deeply sorry to hear that :(--

Thanks. Got a place for me to crash? I may be living in my car a year from now.

actsnoblemartin
03-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks. Got a place for me to crash? I may be living in my car a year from now.

no but ill pray for you

dear lord please help this fine godly woman, who needs your help

amen

sgtdmski
03-18-2009, 03:45 AM

School is 9 months out the year. Most schools have classes for 7 hours a day. With a 1 hour study hall or combination of lunch/study hall.

So lets see, that 9 months of work, with a 35 hour work week, and 5 hours of free time scheduled. Not to mention the holidays, school closings for parent teacher conferences, etc.

Yeah they have to deal with brats, but its partly their own enlightened fault, since we have done away with corporal punishment. Hell, a good spanking in front of the class with that paddle, and see how many brats there will be. I still have flashbacks to the nuns and the rulers accross my knuckles. It happened once, and I made sure that I acted straight to keep it from ever happening again.

dmk

sgtdmski
03-18-2009, 03:47 AM

They go to college for 4 years. That's it. Check out any teachers' college. Today's teachers are educated in how to teach, not in what they teach. I would have a lot more respect for teachers if they were like professors, trained in the subject they were teaching, but they are not.

dmk

Kathianne
03-18-2009, 04:28 AM
They go to college for 4 years. That's it. Check out any teachers' college. Today's teachers are educated in how to teach, not in what they teach. I would have a lot more respect for teachers if they were like professors, trained in the subject they were teaching, but they are not.

dmk

Only for K-5. Teachers certified in 5-12 are subject majors with education endorsement. One cannot teacher upper grades with only an education degree.