PDA

View Full Version : Schoolchildren are being over-praised and are developing an "all about me" mentality

-Cp
03-16-2009, 03:12 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7943906.stm

The growing expectation placed on schools and parents to boost pupils' self-esteem is breeding a generation of narcissists, an expert has warned.
Dr Carol Craig said children were being over-praised and were developing an "all about me" mentality.

She said teachers increasingly faced complaints from parents if their child failed a spelling test or did not get a good part in the school pantomime.
Schools needed to reclaim their role as educators, not psychologists, she said.

Dr Craig, who is chief executive of the centre for confidence and well-being in Scotland, was speaking at the Association of School and College Leaders conference in Birmingham.

Negative characteristic
*edit* more at link

Trigg
03-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Schools/teachers are between a rock and a hard place. They have to keep order in the classroom, but they can't discipline the children. They can't even put them in time out anymore.

Meanwhile parents are being bombarded with the "spanking is child abuse" message.

Is it any surprise some children are turning out to be selfish little beings who think there are no consequences to their actions????

LiberalNation
03-17-2009, 05:07 PM
I never remember being praised a lick.

Kathianne
03-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Schools/teachers are between a rock and a hard place. They have to keep order in the classroom, but they can't discipline the children. They can't even put them in time out anymore.

Meanwhile parents are being bombarded with the "spanking is child abuse" message.

Is it any surprise some children are turning out to be selfish little beings who think there are no consequences to their actions????

There is still a tendency to overpraise, that is the truth. But no 'time outs?' Not in the district my kids were in or my school-both public and private.