PDA

View Full Version : United States Coast Guard

sgtdmski
03-17-2009, 11:10 AM
When I was in the Army, I always had respect for the fellow services. I recognized the important role that each played. However, like each service we had our reputations to protect and our images of others.

Being in the Army, I hated the Marines, I always thought they had pretty uniforms, ugly hair cuts and just couldn't compare to the Army. I disliked the Air Force because I was taught that they considered themselves and they acted like the White Collar of the Services. I couldn't stand the Navy just because they were the Navy. Go Army Beat Navy!!!!

I never gave much thought to the Coast Guard. I didn't really consider them much of a service.

However, I want people to know that my thoughts have all changed about the Coast Guard. Since I have moved to Alaska, I see the valuable role that they play. They do not defend this country against many foreign invaders, although they play a major role in drug smuggling. However, they play a major role in protecting American citizens from many natural disasters.

In Alaska, the Coast Guard means life and death for those of us who spend time on the water. Especially those whose industry demands its. However, they also are there for those of us that use the water for recreation. I have never had to have the Coast Guard come to my aid, however, working in the Medical field I have seen when they have come to the rescue of others. Oftentimes they risk their own lives to save others. Rescue swimmers, helicopter pilots, plane pilots and crew hands, have all given their lives so that someone, somewhere was saved.

I think that often they have the toughest job and get the least respect. I am sorry that I didn't know more before moving to Alaska, however, now that I live their I understand my misconceptions. I also believe that like the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines, the United States Coast Guard deserves all the respect, honor and applause that the other services receive. Their mission never ends, there is no peacetime for them.

So here's to the United States Coast Guard.

dmk

glockmail
03-17-2009, 12:20 PM
I think if you were more familiar with the other branches you'd garner the same level of respect.

LiberalNation
03-17-2009, 12:30 PM
I don't like internet marines, bunch of "tuff" guys who are the quickest to throw a hissy fit and cry to the mods about censoring someone.

moderate democrat
03-17-2009, 01:08 PM
the only difference between a Naval Officer's sword and a Coast Guard Officer's sword is that the blade of the Coastie's sword has inch marks on it, so he can see how deep the water is.:laugh2:

DannyR
03-17-2009, 03:04 PM
So here's to the United States Coast Guard. Anyone stupid enough to jump from a perfectly usable helicopter into sub-zero waters to save someone they don't know deserves a round of drinks.

Ever watch that Kevin Costner film on the Coast Guard? Typical military movie and predictable plot, but still gives you an idea of how tough that branch of service can be.

Yurt
03-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Anyone stupid enough to jump from a perfectly usable helicopter into sub-zero waters to save someone they don't know deserves a round of drinks.

Ever watch that Kevin Costner film on the Coast Guard? Typical military movie and predictable plot, but still gives you an idea of how tough that branch of service can be.

i have a friend who is in the coast guard, he would take umbrage at your stupid comment, but then if you bought him a drink he would laugh with you at your good humored joke.

he said that the guardian (name of the film with costner) was fairly accurate for hollywood. a bit of flair and hollywoodism of course, but good enough for him not to complain too much. he told me that some of the actors and actresses are real life coast guard and did some mass audition to get the part. when he told me that, i bought the film and watched it again, great flick. then again, if you can't stand costner, the movie is ruined.

i'm going to go dance with some wolves now....

DannyR
03-17-2009, 03:44 PM
i have a friend who is in the coast guard, he would take umbrage at your stupid comment, but then if you bought him a drink he would laugh with you at your good humored joke.Pretty much every military man I know would agree that many of the things they did were incredibly stupid. What sane person is first to kick in some door that terrorists might be hiding behind? You gotta be a little bit crazy to do that. But none of them would change a single second. Nature of the beast.

A few popular military quotes:

A Purple Heart just proves that were you smart enough to think of a plan, stupid enough to try it, and lucky enough to survive.

I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity.
- Dwight D Eisenhower

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

Yurt
03-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Pretty much every military man I know would agree that many of the things they did were incredibly stupid. What sane person is first to kick in some door that terrorists might be hiding behind? You gotta be a little bit crazy to do that. But none of them would change a single second. Nature of the beast.

A Purple Heart just proves that were you smart enough to think of a plan, stupid enough to try it, and lucky enough to survive.

I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity.
- Dwight D Eisenhower

good lord....ok danny, you just have to be right, even when i am not arguing with you.

you're right danny, so right. absolutely right. my friend is wrong danny, you're right, always right danny, there is no bravery in the military or coast guard, only stupidity.

DannyR
03-17-2009, 03:56 PM
there is no bravery in the military or coast guard, only stupidity.

You said it, I didn't.

Yurt
03-17-2009, 04:00 PM
You said it, I didn't.

um....no....you said that. in fact you made a whole post about how wrong my friend is...you made a whole post about how it is stupidity rather than bravery and now you say i said it and you didn't.

tell me, what do you call people who do not tell the truth danny?

DannyR
03-17-2009, 04:02 PM
tell me, what do you call people who do not tell the truth danny?Yurt

Yurt
03-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Yurt

IOW, you can't admit you lied danny, so you have to deflect off on me....how

:lame2:

sorry i ever expected you to give an honest debate. my bad. <-- oh see, look, i admit i am wrong :poke:

LiberalNation
03-17-2009, 05:07 PM
pissy bunch, and most military boards on the net are full of censorship nazis.

DannyR
03-17-2009, 05:21 PM
in fact you made a whole post about how wrong my friend isWrong? I never mentioned your friend. I was talking about MY friends. You said he'd be insulted. I didn't say he wouldn't be. MY friends on the other hand are the one's telling me how stupid some of the things they did are. You seem to be calling them liars.

you made a whole post about how it is stupidity rather than bravery and now you say i said it and you didn't. :bs1: I never used the word bravery once. I certainly never said what soldiers did wasn't brave. I think its incredibly brave. The two words aren't mutually exclusive. :poke:

As usual, you like to read more into what is written than the words actually say, and call others liars when they call you out on it.

Yurt
03-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Pretty much every military man I know would agree that many of the things they did were incredibly stupid. What sane person is first to kick in some door that terrorists might be hiding behind? You gotta be a little bit crazy to do that. But none of them would change a single second. Nature of the beast.

- Dwight D Eisenhower

amazing....

DannyR;357178]Wrong? I never mentioned your friend. I was talking about MY friends. You said he'd be insulted. I didn't say he wouldn't be. MY friends on the other hand are the one's telling me how stupid some of the things they did are. You seem to be calling them liars.

you never mention my friend in the first post, yet you respond with a post that directly contradicts my friend....hmmmm....coincidence? no.

your friends??? loooool...all you say (in the first post) is that pretty much every military man i know.... yeah, and i am supposed to know that these people you know are your friends.... come on danny...i think you have thoughts in your head that you do not transition to printed words. so cut the games and whiny bit about others playing word games.

:bs1: I never used the word bravery once. I certainly never said what soldiers did wasn't brave. I think its incredibly brave. The two words aren't mutually exclusive. :poke:

you are either a liar or a moron danny. i talk about bravery in the coast guard's actions in contrast to you stupidity statement, not even in argumentive stance, but only that i think my friend would disagree with you that he is stupid instead of brave. and your next post speaks only of stupidity instead of recognizing my friends bravery.

you have to continue to be right to the point of stupidity. you now think it is brave, when you have done nothing but give us quotes about stupidity. i offer soley a paraphrased comment that i think my friend would say and you turn this into a pissing match. and then you do nothing but give me quotes about stupidity, not bravery, but stupidity....as if to prove my post wrong.

As usual, you like to read more into what is written than the words actually say, and call others liars when they call you out on it.

you're wrong again danny, your words convict you. you are the one who made a big stink about stupidity versus bravery. deal with it.

PostmodernProphet
03-17-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm glad this thread has gone so well......

Yurt
03-17-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm glad this thread has gone so well......

what does that mean? more complaining from posters on this site? the amount of complaints on this site lately is amazing.

LiberalNation
03-17-2009, 07:25 PM
someones pmsing.

PostmodernProphet
03-17-2009, 08:16 PM
what does that mean? more complaining from posters on this site? the amount of complaints on this site lately is amazing.

it means that a thread intended to praise a segment of the military has turned into a thread that is anything but......

Immanuel
03-17-2009, 09:02 PM
As a one time member of the U.S. Coast Guard Reserves, I'd like to thank all of you for your kind words for my brothers and sisters who are serving, have served and will serve you in the future.

I'm personally not worthy of any honor, but I know that there are men and women of the United States Coast Guard out there who are most definitely deserving of the honor and respect of their fellow countrymen. They risk their lives everyday so that some drunken "sailor" from Maine... (okay, if your reading this MFM, just know that jab was most definitely only in fun) can come home to loved ones. They risk their lives fighting fires, finding the lost at sea and rescuing property of the rich and famous with very little thanks. They risk their lives at the barrel of weapons of all kinds in the fight that this country has deemed worthy to prevent drugs from entering this country.

Thanks to the members of all our armed forces for risking and/or sacrificising their lives for our freedoms.

Immie

5stringJeff
03-17-2009, 09:12 PM
I've known a couple of Coasties (and I use that term endearingly), and they were good people. I've got just as much respect for them as I do for members of the other services. That said, however,

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!!!!!

Mr. P
03-17-2009, 09:24 PM
I've known a couple of Coasties (and I use that term endearingly), and they were good people. I've got just as much respect for them as I do for members of the other services. That said, however,

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!!!!!

It'll be a miracle. :poke::laugh2:

sgtdmski
03-18-2009, 02:21 AM
I think if you were more familiar with the other branches you'd garner the same level of respect.

I have respect for all the branches, however, you can ask any member of any branch, there is a rivalry among the branches.

Regarding the Coast Guard, unless you have had to have need of them, or have seen them in work, many of the people in the military I know have long thought what I use to think of them. I have worked hard to make up for my lack respect, cause as you said I was not familiar with them. But now I am and hence the reason for the post.

dmk