PDA

View Full Version : Got a Ron Paul sticker or "Don't Tread On Me" flag? You're a suspected terrorist!

Little-Acorn
03-17-2009, 02:41 PM
In case you've been wondering where the "War on Terror" has been going since the Obama administration took office.....

--------------------------------------

(excerpts)

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2009/mar/14/fusion-center-data-draws-fire-over-assertions/

‘Fusion center’ data draws fire over assertions
Politics, banners seen as suspect.

By T.J. Greaney
Saturday, March 14, 2009

Tim Neal of Miller County was shocked recently when he heard a radio program about a strategic report compiled by state and federal law enforcement agencies to combat terrorism.

Titled “The Modern Militia Movement,” the report is dated Feb. 20 and designed to help police identify militia members or domestic terrorists. Red flags outlined in the document include political bumper stickers such as those for U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, talk of conspiracy theories such as the plan for a mega-highway from Canada to Mexico and possession of subversive literature.

But when Neal read the report, he couldn’t help but think it described him. A military veteran and a delegate to the 2008 Missouri Republican state convention, he didn’t appreciate being lumped in with groups like the Neo-Nazis.

“I was going down the list and thinking, ‘Check, that’s me,’ ” he said. “I’m a Ron Paul supporter, check. I talk about the North American union, check. I’ve got the ‘America: Freedom to Fascism’ video loaned out to somebody right now. So that means I’m a domestic terrorist? Because I’ve got a video about the Federal Reserve?”

But state law enforcement officials said the report is being misinterpreted.

Hotz said MIAC, which opened in 2005, is a “fusion center” that combines resources from the federal Department of Homeland Security and other agencies. It was set up to collect local intelligence to better combat terrorism and other criminal activity, he said.

“All this is an educational thing,” Hotz said of the report. “Troopers have been shot by members of groups, so it’s our job to let law enforcement officers know what the trends are in the modern militia movement.”

The report’s most controversial passage states that militia “most commonly associate with third-party political groups” and support presidential candidates such as Ron Paul, former Constitutional Party candidate Chuck Baldwin and Bob Barr, the Libertarian candidate last year.

Not everybody agrees. At a “Tea Party” to protest wasteful government spending Thursday in Flat Branch Park, several people displaying the Revolutionary War-replica “Don’t Tread On Me” flag were upset to learn the MIAC report lists the banner as a “militia symbol.”

“That’s insane,” said Doug Wendt looking at the MIAC document. “That is not a militia symbol. That is American history. This is historic. The only animosity” American colonists “ever directed with this was towards England.”

Roger Webb, president of the University of Missouri campus Libertarians, also took offense. “It’s absolutely obscene,” he said of the report. “It seems like they want to stifle political thought. There are a lot of third parties out there, and none of them express any violence.

Neal, who has a Ron Paul bumper sticker on his car, said the next time he is pulled over by a police officer, he won’t know whether it’s because he was speeding or because of his political views.

“If a police officer is pulling me over with my family in the car and he sees a bumper sticker on my vehicle that has been specifically identified as one that an extremist would have in their vehicle, the guy is probably going to be pretty apprehensive and not thinking in a rational manner,” Neal said. “And this guy’s walking up to my vehicle with a gun.”

(Full text of this article can be read at the above URL)

PostmodernProphet
03-17-2009, 05:41 PM
It's all about change.....

5stringJeff
03-17-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm totally getting a Don't Tread On Me sticker for my car - just to piss off the Fuzz!

actsnoblemartin
03-17-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm totally getting a Don't Tread On Me sticker for my car - just to piss off the Fuzz!

screw the fuzz, dam pigs

emmett
03-17-2009, 10:14 PM
So...let me see if I have this right. I am a member of a "domestic terrorist" organization? Because I am a subscriber to the philosophy of Ron Paul?

A registered Libertarian no less.

Mr. P
03-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Change means: If yer NOT a Democrat yer a "domestic terrorist".

The next 4 yrs are gonna be hell. I'm hoping Congress can save us..while I'm buying ammo along the way just in case..I do love to plink.

sgtdmski
03-18-2009, 04:28 AM
Why are we surprised. Just look at the Southern Pverty Law Center, the so-called authority on hate-groups, they include the Federation for American Immigration Reform because they are against allowing illegal immigrants citizenship, Michigan State Young Americans for Freedom is considered a hate group, because they oppose affirmative action, illegal immigrants and special rights for homosexuals(WOW they hit the Big Three), the American Family Association, Focus on the Family.

Do I need to go on. If you oppose anything that the liberals support you are a member of a hate group.

dmk

bullypulpit
03-18-2009, 04:48 AM
Why are we surprised. Just look at the Southern Pverty Law Center, the so-called authority on hate-groups, they include the Federation for American Immigration Reform because they are against allowing illegal immigrants citizenship, Michigan State Young Americans for Freedom is considered a hate group, because they oppose affirmative action, illegal immigrants and special rights for homosexuals(WOW they hit the Big Three), the American Family Association, Focus on the Family.

Do I need to go on. If you oppose anything that the liberals support you are a member of a hate group.

dmk

A search of SPLCenter's website does not currently list MSU-YAF in their list of active US hate groups. Nor are the others you mentioned on said list.

The news story in the thread opener is just another example of right wing-nuts grasping at straws.

emmett
03-18-2009, 09:53 AM
A search of SPLCenter's website does not currently list MSU-YAF in their list of active US hate groups. Nor are the others you mentioned on said list.

The news story in the thread opener is just another example of right wing-nuts grasping at straws.

The part that IS correct is the identifying stickers on cars as being prospective "red flags". That is what the thread is about and is most certainly accurate. I know this because one of my friends is a state trooper in georgia and has been trained to spot this stuff and be able to identify which prospective "group" they are associated with. I have heard this from the horses mouth so I do not need a link. He kids me about it all the time.

We have allowed our political climate to be too much of an influence on our philosophies and agendas. While we used to be able to agree to disagree, we always seemed to understand that each side was merely out to accomplish the same things in a different manner. Extremes were looked upon with distaste from both sides. Now it seems like both sides have moved further into the waves of those extremes.

You know...there was a time when we commonly accepted that any American had the right to live any way they wanted as long as they didn't bother anyone else. A person's business was his own. Somehow we evolved into a people that seemed to believe we have a right to pre-police one another into compliance before we have demonstrated any indication that we have done something wrong.

Fools like McCarthy started this shit! His communism tirades and accusations that anyone who didn't agree with government decisions about how you should live was a communist.

Benjamin Franklin, James Monroe, James Madison and Thomas Jefferson would all roll over in their graves and vomit at our republic today. We have insulted the integrity of the republic, the freedom for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with "liberty" and justice for all!

What we HAVE done is drenched the soil surrounding our beloved and brave dead soldiers in PISS! It is furthermore my contention that anyone...and I mean ANYONE who condones an agenda that prescribes to a philosophy of controling the decision making ability of any American to be their own person, go where they want, when they want, do business the way they want and raise their family the way they want........stands over that grave with their d*** in their hand!

DannyR
03-18-2009, 09:58 AM
You know...there was a time when we commonly accepted that any American had the right to live any way they wanted as long as they didn't bother anyone else. A person's business was his own. Somehow we evolved into a people that seemed to believe we have a right to pre-police one another into compliance before we have demonstrated any indication that we have done something wrong.

Fools like McCarthy started this shit! His communism tirades and accusations that anyone who didn't agree with government decisions about how you should live was a communist.Interesting historical viewpoint there. Thinking it over, I think I agree. Kudos.

emmett
03-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Yes Danny, it's easy to agree with the first half of what I wrote. Its the second half that makes it whole however.

Looking under the ink and seeing what is actually contained on the page is not always easy to do. As a Libertarian I do not "pick" what I fight against out of a paragraph and leave off the rest. McCarthy was a shithead! I assume that is the part of what you agree with. Problem is, Democrats today are doing the same thing in another context.

Telling it like it is can be quite difficult at times. Especially when you stand in a group of individuals who make up about 4% of the population. Fact is, many people have many "Libertarian" beliefs. Liberty means allot to many Americans. Problem is we compromise it so handily when it suits our need. The thing most precious to us is the thing we are willing to throw in the ring first in order to promote something else no where near as valuable.

See...the thing is...I meant "everything" I wrote in that post. Not just the part you agreed with. We have life so cushy thanks to the soldiers who literally saved our way of life in WW2. That fool was coming over here brother. He wasn't gonna stop until he got here. The farmers, cobblers and blacksmiths who took up arms to fight beside one another to the death against the encroaching British Army in the Revolutionary War weren't playing my friend. They were "All In" so to speak and offered everything to protect an idea and a way of life that allowed this country to become the greatest place to be born in history.

When a single one of the liberties they fought for are compromised, they are dishonored. I assure you sir, at the moment that one of those soldiers lay dying, while their blood spilled onto some remote place they had never seen before, they sure as hell didn't believe they were doing it so the US Goernment would one day take a man's land from him when he didn't want to sell it.

I further assure you that they were not doing it so that some person from another country would benefit from money taken at the point of a government gun, at the threat of taking everything he has, to prevent him from doing what he pleased with the foils of his labor, so as to give it to that illegal encroacher for their personal gain. I'm telling you.....he did not feel that way. That soldier bet his life...his very life..his existance...his only existance of life itself.....that you and I would uphold what he stood for.........and DIED for!

Yes Danny, I am a radical "far out there in the middle" Libertarian believer in the American foundation of principle entitlement. I believe I am "entitled" to live life the way I choose. Only the way I choose! I am beholden to that man who died in that field that day.....and I will spend my entire life fighting against any and all attempts by anyone, any enemy, foriegn and domestic that threatens to see what he died for, taken in vain!

Our Taxation system threatens the quality of life guarenteed a motivated American. Hell...it threatens everyone. Successful people breed more successful people in a free market society. Government control threatens a free market society! Like I said in a another post. It ain't rocket science!

You are a great debator! I respect your position. You know..that soldier also died for that! Each and every American's right to free speech and their opinion about how to orchestrate the further ability to assure our freedoms and way of life are always continued. Those words weren't just written, and they weren't written in stone......THEY WERE WRITTEN IN BLOOD!