PDA

View Full Version : Kroft to Obama: Are you punch-drunk?

stephanie
03-22-2009, 10:33 PM
:eek:heaven help us.

By: Craig Gordon and Jonathan Martin Back To Story Page »

Barack Obama sits down with Steve Kroft in a '60 Minutes' interview.
Photo by AP

President Barack Obama said he believes the global financial system remains at risk of implosion with the failure of Citigroup or AIG, which could touch off “an even more destructive recession and potentially depression.”

His remarks came in a“60 Minutes” interview in which he was pressed by Steve Kroft for laughing and chuckling several times while discussing the perilous state of the world’s economy.

“You're sitting here. And you're— you are laughing. You are laughing about some of these problems. Are people going to look at this and say, ‘I mean, he's sitting there just making jokes about money—’ How do you deal with— I mean: explain. . .” Kroft asked at one point.

“Are you punch-drunk?” Kroft said.

“No, no. There's gotta be a little gallows humor to get you through the day,” Obama said, with a laugh.

read the rest and LOTS of comments.
http://dyn.politico.com/members/forums/thread.cfm?catid=1&subcatid=2&threadid=2211943

emmett
03-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Makes me feel better! As long ass Obama can make jokes about it all, I feel much much better!

PostmodernProphet
03-23-2009, 06:46 AM
I just had an image come to mind.....of Nero fiddling......

Abbey Marie
03-23-2009, 08:51 AM
I just had an image come to mind.....of Nero fiddling......

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=357922&postcount=3

bullypulpit
03-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Makes me feel better! As long ass Obama can make jokes about it all, I feel much much better!

You should hear the jokes we make in ICU.

But there was more substance to the interview than the piece of fluff seized upon by Craig Gordon and Jonathan Martin in an attempt to make a mountain of a mole-hill...

<blockquote>"I fundamentally disagree with Dick Cheney. Not surprisingly. You know, I think that Vice President Cheney has been at the head of a movement whose notion is somehow that we can't reconcile our core values, our Constitution, our belief that we don't torture, with our national security interests. I think he's drawing the wrong lesson from history," Obama said.

"The facts don't bear him out. I think he is, that attitude, that philosophy has done incredible damage to our image and position in the world. I mean, the fact of the matter is after all these years how many convictions actually came out of Guantanamo? How many terrorists have actually been brought to justice under the philosophy that is being promoted by Vice President Cheney? It hasn't made us safer. What it has been is a great advertisement for anti-American sentiment. Which means that there is constant effective recruitment of Arab fighters and Muslim fighters against U.S. interests all around the world," - <a href=http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/18/60minutes/main4873938_page4.shtml>60 Minutes</a></blockquote>

glockmail
03-23-2009, 09:34 AM
You should hear the jokes we make in ICU.

But there was more substance to the interview than the piece of fluff seized upon by Craig Gordon and Jonathan Martin in an attempt to make a mountain of a mole-hill...

<blockquote>"I fundamentally disagree with Dick Cheney. Not surprisingly. You know, I think that Vice President Cheney has been at the head of a movement whose notion is somehow that we can't reconcile our core values, our Constitution, our belief that we don't torture, with our national security interests. I think he's drawing the wrong lesson from history," Obama said.

"The facts don't bear him out. I think he is, that attitude, that philosophy has done incredible damage to our image and position in the world. I mean, the fact of the matter is after all these years how many convictions actually came out of Guantanamo? How many terrorists have actually been brought to justice under the philosophy that is being promoted by Vice President Cheney? It hasn't made us safer. What it has been is a great advertisement for anti-American sentiment. Which means that there is constant effective recruitment of Arab fighters and Muslim fighters against U.S. interests all around the world," - <a href=http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/18/60minutes/main4873938_page4.shtml>60 Minutes</a></blockquote>

Wow, deflect by attacking Dick Cheney. :pee:

Monkeybone
03-23-2009, 09:38 AM
I will agree with the gallows aspect and Bully, in some jobs you have to just laugh at anything and about anything or it will get to yah. Now there are times and places to laugh, but i will take a chuckle and "we're working on it" rather than an "oh well" and laugh. or ulcer.

and then there is that part of me that wanted to say the chuckle was accompanied with inner dialogue of "suckers!"

PostmodernProphet
03-23-2009, 10:30 AM

and yet, despite the fact that Obama and the leader of Iran agree about Cheney, the leader of Iran still has no respect for Obama....apparently the Iranian's teleprompter isn't on the same wavelength as Obama's.......