PDA

View Full Version : Pope decries 'clouds of evil' over Africa at Mass

-Cp
03-23-2009, 12:39 PM
LUANDA, Angola (AP) - Pope Benedict XVI celebrated Mass Sunday with an estimated one million Angolans and decried the "clouds of evil" over Africa that have spawned war, tribalism and ethnic rivalry that reduce poor people to slavery.

The biggest crowd of Benedict's seven day pilgrimage to Africa turned up in sweltering heat for the open-air service on the outskirts of Angola's seaside capital, Luanda, the last major event before the end of the visit on Monday.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D97323JO0&show_article=1

Noir
03-23-2009, 01:17 PM
There is another cloud of evil in africa....one that his currently darkening the lives of millions, it is spread from human to human, and is uncurable (sp?)...the only way to dramaticly cut down on the spread of this cloud is by using condoms...i wonder why the pope didn't mention it aswell...
=/

Abbey Marie
03-23-2009, 01:50 PM
There is another cloud of evil in africa....one that his currently darkening the lives of millions, it is spread from human to human, and is uncurable (sp?)...the only way to dramaticly cut down on the spread of this cloud is by using condoms...i wonder why the pope didn't mention it aswell...
=/

Noir, that's not a cloud of evil. It's a cloud of ignorance and lack of self-restraint.

-Cp
03-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Perhaps - instead of Condoms - they should pass out lube...

The only "safe sex" they can have is with themselves... :)

Noir
03-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Noir, that's not a cloud of evil. It's a cloud of ignorance and lack of self-restraint.

I agree abbey, it is total ignorence, spread by the Catholic church and their 'condoms spread aids' mantra.

bullypulpit
03-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Until women have the right to say "No!" to men, regardless of whether they are their spouses or not, and not be beaten, raped and/or murdered for doing so the progress of AIDS in Africa will not be stemmed.

Noir
03-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Until women have the right to say "No!" to men, regardless of whether they are their spouses or not, and not be beaten, raped and/or murdered for doing so the progress of AIDS in Africa will not be stemmed.

I agree, to an extent, but to assume that all men in Africa are rapists and bad people is not very wise.
And what of all the good people, the god fearing uneducated that are told that condoms spread aids? The man who will never us a condom throughout his sexual life as he does not want to contract it, or worse stll, give it to his future children.

As to your post again, yes I agree there are many factors that spread aids, but, is it not vile that thee people are being told lies, lies that could place a terminal diease on them, there loved ones, and their children. Personally I find it vile beond words what these 'men of god' knowingly do.

Btw sorry if this has de-railed the topic somewhat.

bullypulpit
03-23-2009, 06:00 PM
I agree, to an extent, but to assume that all men in Africa are rapists and bad people is not very wise.
And what of all the good people, the god fearing uneducated that are told that condoms spread aids? The man who will never us a condom throughout his sexual life as he does not want to contract it, or worse stll, give it to his future children.

As to your post again, yes I agree there are many factors that spread aids, but, is it not vile that thee people are being told lies, lies that could place a terminal diease on them, there loved ones, and their children. Personally I find it vile beond words what these 'men of god' knowingly do.

Indeed. It is a given though that in much of Africa and many other cultures, women are regarded as little more than chattel...second class citizens at best. Which explains why education is so very important and why it is inherently wrong, if not outright evil, for falsehoods about means of preventing the spread of AIDS to be promulgated. One can have all the education in the world and still be mired in a medieval mindset. Look to Saudi Arabia where young girls are whipped back into a burning building by the officers of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice for fleeing the building unveiled...only to die in the fire.

03-23-2009, 06:23 PM

If you agree, then how the hell are condoms going to fix the problem????

All men dont have to be rapists. One or two can rap many.

The fact is if people lived Catholic teachings in Africa, they wouldnt have a problem with AIDs or alot of the other issues the Pope mentioned. Im not Catholic and I realize that.

Course, if we lived our faiths in this nation we wouldnt have alot of the issues we have either.

No one has lied to anyone.

5stringJeff
03-23-2009, 08:18 PM

Indeed. I don't think the message of "it's OK to rape women, just wear a condom" is going to take very well.

-Cp
03-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Perhaps if the Pope would actually GO HELP work in those communities rather than sit in his pios position, there could more lives saved in Africa..

Bono of U2 does it a lot! He puts his money where his mouth is by actually WORKING in the villages of africa..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x-oYCIJrewA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x-oYCIJrewA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

actsnoblemartin
03-23-2009, 09:18 PM

you touched on something, islam does not give women the right to say no all over the muslim world and africa

Noir
03-24-2009, 09:28 AM
If you agree, then how the hell are condoms going to fix the problem????

All men dont have to be rapists. One or two can rap many.

The fact is if people lived Catholic teachings in Africa, they wouldnt have a problem with AIDs or alot of the other issues the Pope mentioned. Im not Catholic and I realize that.

Course, if we lived our faiths in this nation we wouldnt have alot of the issues we have either.

No one has lied to anyone.

I agree that condoms are not the only problem,

Fact is that Catholics are spreading a message that condoms helps spread AIDs which is a lie.

Nukeman
03-24-2009, 09:56 AM

Fact is that Catholics are spreading a message that condoms helps spread AIDs which is a lie.
Your statement here while not an "outright" lie is rather misleading. the statements made in the past by ONE cardinal was that it could give a false since of security that could very well spread the AIDS virus.

The late Cardinal Alfonso Lopez Trujillo made headlines in 2003 for saying that condoms may help spread AIDS through a false sense of security, claiming they weren't effective in blocking transmission of the virus. The cardinal, who died last year, headed the Vatican's Pontifical Council for the Family.

Now the Pope has gone on to say that he also feels it give a "false sense of security" and could lead to other issues. this being said, the biggest cause of the spread of AIDS is .......... drum roll.................................. Premarital Sex.. Thats right folks ........................premarital sex...........

I am not Catholic but I can understand where the church is coming from on this....

03-24-2009, 03:19 PM

But condoms can give people a false sense of security because aids can spread even if a condom is used.

How can they be lying by telling the truth?