PDA

View Full Version : Didn't Take Long, Obama's 'News Conference'

Kathianne
03-24-2009, 08:55 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D974NMSO0&show_article=1

FACT CHECK: Obama having it both ways on economy?

Mar 24 08:31 PM US/Eastern
By CALVIN WOODWARD
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama's plea for patience in the economic turmoil Tuesday fits with the view of most economists that a turnaround will take some time. It doesn't fit quite so neatly with his bullish budget.
The president's spending plans and deficit projections rest on the assumption that the economy will post solid growth next year after a mild, further decline this year. Many economists think that's too rosy.

Obama was more cautious than that in his prime-time news conference—possibly to the point of having it both ways.

A look at some of his statements and how they square with the facts:

THE CLAIM: "We will recover from this recession. But it will take time, it will take patience, and it will take an understanding that when we all work together, when each of us looks beyond our own short-term interests to the wider set of obligations we have to each other, that's when we succeed."

THE FACTS: No one really knows when the recession will end. But Obama's own budget forecasts the recession will continue through this year but with a relatively shallow 1.2 percent decline in the gross domestic product...

actsnoblemartin
03-24-2009, 09:09 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D974NMSO0&show_article=1

are u really that surprised :laugh2:

Kathianne
03-24-2009, 09:15 PM
are u really that surprised :laugh2:

not at all. Well maybe that the MSM outed it.

actsnoblemartin
03-24-2009, 09:16 PM
not at all. Well maybe that the MSM outed it.

:lol:

April15
03-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Barrack is not Bush so the truth is allowed to be told! I thought it was a good presentation and the Q&A was fun to watch.

actsnoblemartin
03-24-2009, 09:26 PM
this isnt 2008, this is 2009.

Barrack cant use bush as an excuse anymore

Barrack is not Bush so the truth is allowed to be told!

03-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Barrack is not Bush so the truth is allowed to be told! I thought it was a good presentation and the Q&A was fun to watch.

Did someone, other than yourself, prevent you from speaking the truth before?

April15
03-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Did someone, other than yourself, prevent you from speaking the truth before?Bush was secretive. I have never had a problem speaking the truth other than republican'ts don't want to hear what i say.

April15
03-24-2009, 09:46 PM
this isnt 2008, this is 2009.

Barrack cant use bush as an excuse anymoreHe needs no excuse.

hjmick
03-24-2009, 10:04 PM
I just love the way he answers a question without actually answering the question:

Jake Tapper: Thank you, Mr. President. Right now on Capitol Hill, Senate Democrats are writing a budget, and according to press accounts and their own statements, they're not including the middle-class tax cut that you include in the stimulus. They're talking about phasing that out. They're not including the cap-and-trade that you have in your budget, and they're not including other measures. I know when you outlined your four priorities over the weekend, a number of these things were not in there. Will you sign a budget if it does not contain a middle-class tax cut, does not contain cap-and- trade?

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Well, I've emphasized repeatedly what I expect out of this budget. I expect that there's serious efforts at health care reform, and that we are driving down costs for families and businesses, and ultimately for the federal and state governments that are going to be broke if we continue on the current path. I've said that we've got to have a serious energy policy that frees ourselves from dependence on foreign oil and makes clean energy the profitable kind of energy. We've got to invest in education, K through 12 and beyond, to upgrade the skills of the American worker so we can compete in -- in the international economy. And I've said that we've got to start driving our deficit numbers down.

Now, we never expected, when we printed out our budget, that they would simply Xerox it and vote on it. We assume that it has to go through the legislative process. I have not yet seen the final product coming out of the Senate or the House, and we're in constant conversations with them. I am confident that the budget we put forward will have those principles in place.

When it comes to the middle-class tax cut, we already had that in the recovery. We know that that's going to be in place for at least the next two years. We had identified a specific way to pay for it. If Congress has better ideas in terms of how to pay for it, then we're happy to listen.

When it comes to cap-and-trade, the broader principle is that we've got to move to a new energy era. And that means moving away from polluting energy sources towards cleaner energy sources.

That is a potential engine for economic growth. I think cap-and-trade is the best way, from my perspective, to achieve some of those gains, because what it does is it starts pricing the pollution that's being sent into the atmosphere. The way it's structured, it has to take into account regional differences. It has to protect consumers from huge spikes in electricity prices. So there are a -- a lot of technical issues that are going to have to be sorted through.

Our point in the budget is, let's get started now. We can't wait. And my expectation is that the energy committees, or other relevant committees in both the House and the Senate, are going to be moving forward a strong energy package. It'll be authorized. We'll get it done. And I will sign it. Okay?

Tapper: So is that a yes, sir? You're willing to sign a budget that doesn't have those two provisions?

PRESIDENT OBAMA: No; I -- what I said was -- is I haven't seen yet what provisions are in there. The bottom line is -- is that I want to see health care, energy, education and serious efforts to reduce our budget deficit. And there are going to be a lot of details that are still being worked out. But I have confidence that we're going to be able to get a budget done that's reflective of what needs to happen in order to make sure that America grows.

Jake Tapper (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/) is quickly earning my respect. He is one of the few good journalists out there today.

hjmick
03-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Bush was secretive.

And you are operating under the impression that the Obama administration is being completely open. Sadly, I believe you are just setting yourself up for heartache.

stephanie
03-24-2009, 10:06 PM
He needs no excuse.

then why does he keep using Bush as one, if he need none?
he's so great, he should stand up and claim it, own it...but instead all we hear is his whining about how he inherited a bad hand..

actsnoblemartin
03-25-2009, 03:20 PM
every time i turn around barrack hussein is blamin the republicans (even though, democrats were in power the last two years) or bush.

you would think, he has a man crush on bush the way he goes on and on about him

he's so great, he should stand up and claim it, own it...but instead all we hear is his whining about how he inherited a bad hand..

Mr. P
03-25-2009, 03:54 PM

And the truth as to when you and everyone connected to the construction business will be back to work was, when?

Kathianne
03-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Borrowing from Mr. P's format:

OK, Chip Reid?

Q: Thank you, Mr. President. At both of your town hall meetings in California last week, you said, quote, I didn't run for president to pass on our problems to the next generation.

But under your budget, the debt will increase $7 trillion over the next 10 years. The Congressional Budget Office says $9.3 trillion. And today on Capitol Hill, some Republicans called your budget, with all the spending on health care, education and environment, the most irresponsible budget in American history.

OBAMA: Yes.

Q: Isn't that kind of debt exactly what you were talking about when you said passing on our problems to the next generation?

OBAMA: First of all, I suspect that some of those Republican critics have a short memory, because, as I recall, I'm inheriting a $1.3 trillion deficit, annual deficit, from them. That would be point number one. Edit: Where do revenue raising bills originate? Which party controlled? Was Bush a 'strong' president in his last two years? Able to control an opposition controlled Congress?

Point number two. Both under our estimates and under the CBO estimates, both — the most conservative estimates out there, we drive down the deficit over the first five years of our budget. The deficit is cut in half. And folks aren't disputing that.

Where the dispute comes in is what happens in a whole bunch of out-years. And the main difference between the budget that we presented and the budget that came out of the Congressional Budget Office is assumptions about growth.

They're assuming a growth rate of 2.2 percent; we're assuming a growth rate of 2.6 percent. Those small differences end up adding up to a lot of money. Our assumptions are perfectly consistent with what blue chip forecasters out there are saying. Really, where?

Now, none of us knows exactly what's going to happen 6 or 8 or 10 years from now. Here's what I do know: If we don't tackle energy, if we don't improve our education system, if we don't drive down the costs of health care, if we're not making serious investments in science and technology and our infrastructure, then we won't grow 2.6 percent, we won't grow 2.2 percent. We won't grow. So, for over 200 years, the US has 'grown' without these 'investments', yet suddenly it's going to stop?

And so what we've said is, let's make the investments that ensure that we meet our growth targets that put us on a pathway to growth as opposed to a situation in which we're not making those investments and we still have trillion-dollar deficits. Like in Europe? Working out just swell there, right?

And there's an interesting reason why some of these critics haven't put out their own budget. I mean, we haven't seen an alternative budget out of them. Not exactly true: http://www.c-span.org/Watch/watch.aspx?MediaId=HP-A-16709

And the reason is because they know that, in fact, the biggest driver of long-term deficits are the huge health care costs that we've got out here that we're going to have to tackle and we — that if we don't deal with some of the structural problems in our deficit, ones that were here long before I got here, then we're going to continue to see some of the problems in those out-years.

And — and so what we're trying to emphasize is, let's make sure that we're making the investments that we need to grow to meet those growth targets, at the same time we're still reducing the deficit by a couple of trillion dollars, we are cutting out wasteful spending in areas like Medicare, we're changing procurement practices when it comes to the Pentagon budget, we are looking at social service programs and education programs that don't work and eliminate them.

And we will continue to go line-by-line through this budget, and where we find programs that don't work, we will eliminate them. This sounds so familiar. Oh yeah,
But Republicans – and a few Democrats – are doing their best to remind the president (http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0309/p08s01-comv.html) of his promise. "We need earmark reform, and when I'm president, I will go line by line to make sure we're not spending money unwisely," Obama said last October. I guess he does figure he can fool all the people, all of the time...

But it is — it is going to be an impossible task for us to balance our budget if we're not taking on rising health care costs, and it's going to be an impossible task to balance our budget or even approximate it if we are not boosting our growth rates. And — and that's why our budget focuses on the investments we need to make that happen.

Q: But even under your budget, as you said, over the next four or five years, you're going to cut the deficit in half, then, after that, six years in a row, it goes up, up, up. If you're making all these long-term structural cuts, why does it continue to go up in the out-years?

OBAMA: Well, look, it is going to take a whole host of adjustments, and we couldn't reflect all of those adjustments in this budget.

Let me give you an example. There's been a lot of talk about entitlements in Medicare and Medicaid. The biggest problem we have long term is Medicare and Medicaid. But whatever reforms we initiate on that front — and we're very serious about working on a bipartisan basis to reduce those deficits or reduce those costs — you're not going to see those savings reflected until much later. Sort of like the pork above, next time, won't happen...I have this bridge...

And so a budget is a snapshot of what we can get done right now, understanding that, eight, ten years from now, we will have had a whole series of new budgets and we're going to have to make additional adjustments.

And once we get out of this current economic crisis, then it's going to be absolutely important for us to take another look and say, are we growing as fast as we need to grow? Are there further cuts that we need to make? What other adjustments are — is it going to take for us to have a sustainable budget level? But we are never getting past this crisis if Obama and Emanuel can control things.

But, keep in mind, just to give one other example, as a percentage of gross domestic product, we are reducing nondefense discretionary spending to its lowest level since the '60s, lower than it was under Reagan, lower than it was under Clinton, lower than it was under Bush or both Bushes.
And so, if we're growing, if we are doing what's necessary to create new businesses and to expand the economy, and we are making sure that we're eliminating some of these programs that aren't working, then, over time, that gap can close.

But I'm — look, I'm not going to lie to you. It is tough. As I said, that's why the critics tend to criticize, but they don't offer an alternative budget. Because even if we were not doing health care, we were not doing energy, we were not doing education, they'd still have a whole bunch of problems in those out-years, according to CBO projections. The only difference is that we will not have invested in what's necessary to make this economy grow....

03-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Bush was secretive. I have never had a problem speaking the truth other than republican'ts don't want to hear what i say.

Then how on earth can anyone have prevefnted you from speaking the truth?

April15
03-25-2009, 05:55 PM
And you are operating under the impression that the Obama administration is being completely open. Sadly, I believe you are just setting yourself up for heartache.Comparatively yes.

Kathianne
03-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Comparatively yes.

Which? Open or heartache? Bet on the later.

glockmail
03-25-2009, 05:58 PM
This is stupid. Obama is a fucking liar so why bother listening to anything he says?

April15
03-25-2009, 06:00 PM
he's so great, he should stand up and claim it, own it...but instead all we hear is his whining about how he inherited a bad hand..As a reference to the past it is inescapable that he was handed a damaged nation. What you seem to be missing, and a lot of reichwingers do, is the request for unity in moving forward.

April15
03-25-2009, 06:01 PM
This is stupid. Obama is a fucking liar so why bother listening to anything he says?I take it you have a personality problem?

April15
03-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Did someone, other than yourself, prevent you from speaking the truth before?The truth is being told to the public instead of secret meetings and shredded memos about energy policy.

April15
03-25-2009, 06:05 PM
I just love the way he answers a question without actually answering the question:

Jake Tapper (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/) is quickly earning my respect. He is one of the few good journalists out there today.And when Bush danced all around an answer you were satisfied? The answer is mulifaceited which precludes a yes or no answer!

glockmail
03-25-2009, 06:06 PM
I take it you have a personality problem? The only personalities that I have a problem with are liars.

April15
03-25-2009, 06:07 PM
And the truth as to when you and everyone connected to the construction business will be back to work was, when?I can't speak for the rest of the workers but as soon as the stench of Bush is off the currency!

April15
03-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Which? Open or heartache? Bet on the later.Comparatively open when stood by Bushed.

April15
03-25-2009, 06:10 PM
The only personalities that I have a problem with are liars.So you have a problem with yourself?

glockmail
03-25-2009, 06:12 PM
So you have a problem with yourself? Show me where I have lied and provide documentation, or lose cred.

April15
03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Show me where I have lied and provide documentation, or lose cred.It would make no difference if I did you simply would ignore or deny. I know you keep massive records on everyone as to what, when and why something was posted. I don't! As for credibility I have never had it in your view anyway so who cares?

actsnoblemartin
03-25-2009, 06:23 PM
As a reference to the past it is inescapable that he was handed a damaged nation. What you seem to be missing, and a lot of reichwingers do, is the request for unity in moving forward.

every president is in charge of fixing each presidents screw ups, this is no different.

April15
03-25-2009, 06:27 PM
every president is in charge of fixing each presidents screw ups, this is no different.Corretomundo!!!! Give that man a cigar!

Yurt
03-25-2009, 06:30 PM
And when Bush danced all around an answer you were satisfied? The answer is mulifaceited which precludes a yes or no answer!

so if bush did it, that makes it ok?

actsnoblemartin
03-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Corretomundo!!!! Give that man a cigar!

aww shucks, thanks

hjmick
03-25-2009, 06:34 PM
And when Bush danced all around an answer you were satisfied? The answer is mulifaceited which precludes a yes or no answer!

No, I cringed damn near every time he opened his mouth, and that hasn't changed with the new guy.

glockmail
03-25-2009, 06:43 PM
It would make no difference if I did you simply would ignore or deny. I know you keep massive records on everyone as to what, when and why something was posted. I don't! As for credibility I have never had it in your view anyway so who cares?This board has a search function that works quite well. If you remember something that I supposedly lied about, put in my name and a search term at least 4 letters long. Try it.

Kathianne
03-25-2009, 07:54 PM
aww shucks, thanks

seriously, you must look at the source.

actsnoblemartin
03-25-2009, 07:55 PM
seriously, you must look at the source.

I can respect/be friends with people i disagree with :)

april15 is a nice person

besides, the next president will have to clean up obama's mess

Kathianne
03-25-2009, 07:56 PM
I can respect/be friends with people i disagree with :)

april15 is a nice person

besides, the next president will have to clean up obama's mess

Actually he's a tool.

actsnoblemartin
03-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Actually he's a tool.

who obama or april15?

April15
03-25-2009, 07:58 PM
so if bush did it, that makes it ok?Yurt,
I consider most everything Bush did to be wrong. So if Bush did it, it makes it more wrong!

actsnoblemartin
03-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Yurt,
I consider most everything Bush did to be wrong. So if Bush did it, it makes it more wrong!

since when is wrong a partisan issue.

thats the problem with this country

April15
03-25-2009, 07:59 PM
who obama or april15?She probably meant to spell Fool!

April15
03-25-2009, 08:00 PM
since when is wrong a partisan issue.

thats the problem with this countryAnother cigar here!!

Kathianne
03-25-2009, 08:00 PM
who obama or april15?

4/15.

actsnoblemartin
03-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Another cigar here!!

thank you, we dont always agree.

But I have NEVER known you to be a dishonest person.

and for that, I am honored to call you friend.

actsnoblemartin
03-25-2009, 08:04 PM
4/15.

How is your day going

April15
03-25-2009, 08:08 PM
thank you, we dont always agree.

But I have NEVER known you to be a dishonest person.

and for that, I am honored to call you friend.Thank you.

03-26-2009, 05:31 PM
The truth is being told to the public instead of secret meetings and shredded memos about energy policy.

That didnt answer the question at all. Did anyone prevent you from speaking the "truth" as you termed it?

April15
03-26-2009, 06:30 PM
That didnt answer the question at all. Did anyone prevent you from speaking the "truth" as you termed it?
Well homeland security did visit me to tell me my views were not patriotic. They placed me on the no fly list and have denied me a passport. But that is not what I was saying in my original post. My original post was about the government not censuring agencies or altering reports to fit Bush's views.

Kathianne
03-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Well homeland security did visit me to tell me my views were not patriotic. They placed me on the no fly list and have denied me a passport. But that is not what I was saying in my original post. My original post was about the government not censuring agencies or altering reports to fit Bush's views.

If you are telling the truth, you've done something vastly wrong. Good luck with that.

Jagger
03-27-2009, 01:46 PM
I loved the way the Bama smacked down the reporter who asked why it took a couple of days for him to express outrage over the AIG bonuses.

I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak.

--President Obama

That was priceless!

03-27-2009, 04:46 PM
I loved the way the Bama smacked down the reporter who asked why it took a couple of days for him to express outrage over the AIG bonuses.

That was priceless!

Never stopped him before

stephanie
03-27-2009, 04:51 PM

That was priceless!

so now it's the Presidents job to "smack down" American citizens asking him a simple question..
I am glad though, the lamestream media is getting the same treatment they did to Joe the Plumber, Sarah Palin, Bobby Jindal..couldn't happen to better bunch of assholes.

Yurt
03-27-2009, 05:05 PM
so now it's the Presidents job to "smack down" American citizens asking him a simple question..
I am glad though, the lamestream media is getting the same treatment they did to Joe the Plumber, Sarah Palin, Bobby Jindal..couldn't happen to better bunch of assholes.

great point.

apparently jagger and his ilk believe otherwise.

Mr. P
03-27-2009, 05:20 PM

That was priceless!

I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak.

--President Obama

Yeah, pretty cool..now if we can just get him to know what he's doing before he signs away the country with MINDLESS spending he doesn't understand will be ok. Right?

Jagger
03-27-2009, 09:18 PM
so now it's the Presidents job to "smack down" American citizens asking him a simple question.
I won't be happy until he says I can hunt Phil Gramm with my dogs.

Jagger
03-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Yeah, pretty cool..now if we can just get him to know what he's doing before he signs away the country with MINDLESS spending he doesn't understand will be ok. Right?

How much of that mindless military spending should we cut?

Mr. P
03-27-2009, 10:06 PM
How much of that mindless military spending should we cut?

Who said military spending is mindless?

sgtdmski
03-28-2009, 07:29 AM

Jake Tapper (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/) is quickly earning my respect. He is one of the few good journalists out there today.

And yet, Obama never answered the question.

dmk

sgtdmski
03-28-2009, 07:33 AM

That was priceless!

And yet he still didn't know what he was talking about, let alone what his own administration was doing.

dmk