PDA

View Full Version : No new taxes

Jeff
03-25-2009, 07:13 AM
I am not sure if this has been disgust on here yet , if it has if a mod would delete it that would be great.

Obama said no new taxes but yet cigarettes have gone up anywhere from 50 cents a pack to $1.08 a pack ( not sure of the exact price) in order to give children health care, I am all for the kids getting health care but why tax only a percentage of Americans, and yes this is a new tax , I bought a carton before leaving GA and paid $7 and change more for it ( yes I know it is a nasty habit )

So what happens when people like me don't want to spend the extra money or can't pay it, what does he tax next, Golf Balls ( no he wouldn't do that , he plays) maybe Nascar tickets , who knows I just don't think one group of people should be alone in paying for Children health care.

Mr. P
03-25-2009, 07:53 AM
What does he tax next? Why Happy Meals and BigMacs of course, after all they contribute to child obesity, right?

I see this coming...just watch.

Jagger
03-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Obama said no new taxes
He never said that, dude.

Jeff
03-25-2009, 09:45 AM

OK that's right he isn't going to tax the working class just the rich, lol, well I am sitting here in Boston working not just hanging around, and he did say many times threw his campaign that it is time to tax the rich, but lets say your right ( I have been wrong before) how do ya figure only a small group of people should pay for health care for children?

PostmodernProphet
03-25-2009, 09:53 AM
I am not sure if this has been disgust on here yet

not sure if this was intentional, but it certainly is appropriate....

Jagger
03-25-2009, 09:59 AM
OK that's right he isn't going to tax the working class just the rich Like I said, dude, Obama never said no new taxes.

how do ya figure only a small group of people should pay for health care for children? How do you figure that only a small group of people are going to pay for health care for children?

Yurt
03-25-2009, 10:28 AM
it is well established that obama is a liar:

“I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes” (Barack Obama, September 12, 2008, Dover, NH).

moderate democrat
03-25-2009, 10:43 AM

“I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes” (Barack Obama, September 12, 2008, Dover, NH).

Under his plan, that was correct. Unfortunately, congress is not bound to accept or ratify Obama's plan.

And one ought not to forget that the economy changed a GREAT deal between 09/12/08 and today. Things change... and that causes other things - like plans - to change. To expect a president to stand firm on one set of economic projections and plans in the face of drastically changed circumstances is irrational.

glockmail
03-25-2009, 11:19 AM
Under his plan, that was correct. Unfortunately, congress is not bound to accept or ratify Obama's plan.

And one ought not to forget that the economy changed a GREAT deal between 09/12/08 and today. Things change... and that causes other things - like plans - to change. To expect a president to stand firm on one set of economic projections and plans in the face of drastically changed circumstances is irrational. His presidency didn't start until 4 months after that. *shrug*

Yurt
03-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Like I said, dude, Obama never said no new taxes.

How do you figure that only a small group of people are going to pay for health care for children?

he sure did jagger...

obama said no new taxes....obama lied....he also said reaffirmed this in his state of the union address:

if your family earns less than $250,000 a year, you will not see your taxes increased a single dime. I repeat: not one single dime

so obama lied on the campaign trail and at the state of the union address....

therefore it is well established obama is a liar

moderate democrat
03-25-2009, 12:36 PM
His presidency didn't start until 4 months after that. *shrug*

your point? are you suggesting that the economy did not drastically change from the time he made that statement in September to the time when he submitted his budget? *shrug*

Yurt
03-25-2009, 01:07 PM
His presidency didn't start until 4 months after that. *shrug*

that person's point is nonsensical glock...he made the same promise during his state of the union...FIVE months after he made the other promise

moderate democrat
03-25-2009, 01:12 PM
that person's point is nonsensical glock...he made the same promise during his state of the union...FIVE months after he made the other promise

and things have not changed in the sixty days since then?

Do you REALLY want a president who who is not willing to adjust his policies to deal with current - and future - realities?

Jagger
03-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes” (Barack Obama, September 12, 2008, Dover, NH).

Under the plan he was talking about, everything he said was true, dude.

Jagger
03-25-2009, 01:40 PM
what happens when people like me don't want to spend the extra money
Get a hair cut, get a job and earn more money, instead of eating Cheetos and listening to Right Wing Radio all day.

Yurt
03-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Under the plan he was talking about, everything he said was true, dude.

meadowmuffins....he in fact raised their taxes...

if he wants/supports/signs raised taxes on ANYTHING that violates his promise :poke:

he further, contrary to the idiot who claimed he never made that promise again, he made it again at his state of the union....NOT ONE DIME...

if he wants taxes raised on anything, that violates his promise

Yurt
03-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Get a hair cut, get a job and earn more money, instead of eating Cheetos and listening to Right Wing Radio all day.

good lord, you just contradict yourself...now he has to pay more money so he tell him to make more money....how is that not raises taxes :poke:

Jagger
03-25-2009, 02:10 PM
:lame2:

Jagger
03-25-2009, 02:13 PM
good lord, you just contradict yourself...now he has to pay more money so he tell him to make more money....how is that not raises taxes :poke:

You need to go to college, dude, or join the Special Forces.

Yurt
03-25-2009, 02:27 PM
wow, that really countered my points....are you actually going to make an argument or solely spout moronic insults? :poke:

Yurt
03-25-2009, 02:33 PM
i reread the OP, there was no link...so how do we know obama had anything to do with these new taxes?

DannyR
03-25-2009, 02:43 PM
if he wants/supports/signs raised taxes on ANYTHING that violates his promisePossibly. I don't see anyone forcing people to pay this tax though. Its completely voluntary. You don't want to pay it, don't buy tobacco products.

Yurt
03-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Possibly. I don't see anyone forcing people to pay this tax though. Its completely voluntary. You don't want to pay it, don't buy tobacco products.

let's take your statement to its logical conclusion:

no one is forced to pay taxes, it is completely voluntary, you don't want to pay taxes, either don't live here or you can go to jail.

i think this new tax is about some children's health care plan and obama approved new taxes on tobacco, that is in fact a new tax and obama lied, not once, but at least twice.

DannyR
03-25-2009, 03:12 PM
let's take your statement to its logical conclusionI wouldn't call that a logical conclusion. Bit of a difference between earning a living and buying a completely voluntary product used for recreation.

actsnoblemartin
03-25-2009, 03:25 PM
wow, that really countered my points....are you actually going to make an argument or solely spout moronic insults? :poke:

my money's on moronic insults :laugh2:

Yurt
03-25-2009, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't call that a logical conclusion. Bit of a difference between earning a living and buying a completely voluntary product used for recreation.

sure it is, same logic...you don't have to live in america, you are free to move elsewhere or not pay your taxes...your choice

fact is, taxes were raised, obama approved, he said no new taxes, specifically not any of your taxes...that is simply not true

it does not matter at all whether the product is for recreation, necessary, unnecessary...."not any of your taxes"

Jagger
03-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Obama never said no new taxes, dude.

Yurt
03-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Obama never said no new taxes, dude.

for those under 250K he sure as heckfire did :poke:

do you deny that? how can you deny his words? how can you say that a new tax that you ADMIT increases costs is not a new tax?

prove to me you are not a moron.

Mr. P
03-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Possibly. I don't see anyone forcing people to pay this tax though. Its completely voluntary. You don't want to pay it, don't buy tobacco products.

Never heard of the IRS, huh?

Jagger
03-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Obama never said that those under 250K would not see their taxes increased.

Yurt
03-25-2009, 04:55 PM

he sure did jagger...

obama said no new taxes....obama lied....he also said reaffirmed this in his state of the union address:

if your family earns less than $250,000 a year, you will not see your taxes increased a single dime. I repeat: not one single dime

so obama lied on the campaign trail and at the state of the union address....

therefore it is well established obama is a liar

his words speak for themselves....

your idiocy and lack of any argument to the contrary speaks for itself

Jagger
03-25-2009, 05:03 PM
his words speak for themselves....

your idiocy and lack of any argument to the contrary speaks for itself

Show me where there was a promise not to increase cigarette taxes in his plan.

jimnyc
03-25-2009, 05:10 PM

Quotes were provided for you showing you he said exactly that.

Show me where there was a promise not to increase cigarette taxes in his plan.

Oh, changing your tune now? And the place he stated it was when he said "Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes"

Yurt
03-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Quotes were provided for you showing you he said exactly that.

Oh, changing your tune now? And the place he stated it was when he said "Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes"

i don't see how this can be made any easier for him...

the fact he is now changing his tune shows he really is full of meadowmuffins

moderate democrat
03-25-2009, 06:03 PM
again...would any republican REALLY want a president to NOT consider changing the scope of his policies to fit changing economic circumstances?

Would you really want a president to steadfastly maintain one set of economic priorities when the economy changes drastically?

glockmail
03-25-2009, 06:05 PM
I recall how the Democrats were complaining that Bush wouldn't give them specific time lines on the Iraq war, like the enemy is predictable. Yet Obama can't make simple economic predictions, and the Democrats make excuses for that skinny fucker.

actsnoblemartin
03-25-2009, 06:28 PM
he is not skinny

I recall how the Democrats were complaining that Bush wouldn't give them specific time lines on the Iraq war, like the enemy is predictable. Yet Obama can't make simple economic predictions, and the Democrats make excuses for that skinny fucker.

he is weight challenged :coffee:

Immanuel
03-25-2009, 06:57 PM

No, as quotes have proven in this thread and if you were not so blindly adhered to President Obama's rear end you would have known this simply by watching last year's campaign, President Obama (at the time candidate Obama) promised not to raise taxes on families earning less than $250,000. If I am not mistaken, it didn't take him a week to break that promise with the cigarette tax increase. In fact, he still has not raised taxes on those earning more than $250k except for the cigarette tax which really doesn't affect the rich anyway. So, in fact, his tax increase has only been directed at the poor... aka the very people he promised he would not raise their taxes.

And one ought not to forget that the economy changed a GREAT deal between 09/12/08 and today. Things change... and that causes other things - like plans - to change. To expect a president to stand firm on one set of economic projections and plans in the face of drastically changed circumstances is irrational.

What did you say the day Bush I broke his "no new taxes" pledge? I'll bet it wasn't "things change".

You state that under his plan he was correct and then you try to pass blame on Congress. Didn't President Obama have to sign the bill? Couldn't he have vetoed such a tax increase in order to keep his promise? He could of,,, but, he wouldn't have done so.

if he wants/supports/signs raised taxes on ANYTHING that violates his promise :poke:

he further, contrary to the idiot who claimed he never made that promise again, he made it again at his state of the union....NOT ONE DIME...

if he wants taxes raised on anything, that violates his promise

It is funny when you think that he repeatedly made these promises about not raising taxes on families earning less than $250,000 and then you realize that they are the only people who he has truly raised taxes on so far.

let's take your statement to its logical conclusion:

no one is forced to pay taxes, it is completely voluntary, you don't want to pay taxes, either don't live here or you can go to jail.

i think this new tax is about some children's health care plan and obama approved new taxes on tobacco, that is in fact a new tax and obama lied, not once, but at least twice.

Wasn't it Harry Reid who just claimed taxes were voluntary?

again...would any republican REALLY want a president to NOT consider changing the scope of his policies to fit changing economic circumstances?

Would you really want a president to steadfastly maintain one set of economic priorities when the economy changes drastically?

No, but I am not blindly defending his choice to break that promise either. Nor am I critical of the fact that he did break that promise. However, I do think it rather "bad form" for him to raise taxes like this on the poor without so much as affecting the rich with a tax increase first. I honestly suspect that the poor will find themselves taxed more from this administration over the next 4 - 8 years than the rich will.

In other words, his promises don't hold weight with me. I don't believe a word he said before his election.

Immie

Jagger
03-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Obama didn't raise taxes on those who make less than $250K. He raised the tax on those who purchase cigarettes.

Yurt
03-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Obama didn't raise taxes on those who make less than $250K. He raised the tax on those who purchase cigarettes.

:lol:

as if only people who make over 250K puruchase cigarettes...

i have spare deck of cards for you, it appears yours is not full

Immanuel
03-25-2009, 07:35 PM

Are you a politician?

You obviously try to lie like one.

Next you will be telling us that people making less than $250,000 don't smoke.

He said that he would not raise taxes by one dime on those families. Not from any source and it was the second thing he did as President. The first was making sure that more abortions happen over seas and that those who perform those abortions become richer.

Immie

Jeff
03-25-2009, 07:57 PM

Well DUDE I have a job , I also have ears and listen to what our new president say's, you might try it, listening to debate's and promises made by a idiot that became our president isn't listening to right wing radio , as a matter of fact what I read here seems allot heard Obama say no new taxes for anyone making under 250,000 .

As for a hair cut Dude I am not stuck in the 60's

AS for making more money, nope I don't make 250,000 a year , but make plenty to keep me happy

Jeff
03-25-2009, 08:03 PM
How do you figure that only a small group of people are going to pay for health care for children?

Read the post Dude the price of cigarettes went up to pay for health care for children.

Not everone smokes, so I guess that would make only some pay for it!!

Jeff
03-25-2009, 08:08 PM

Your right Danny, but what is next? The Point is why put a tax on something only some people use, why not tax people across the board.

I gather you don't smoke ( that's good) but what if he decided to tax just people that live in GA ,would that work? no one forces you to live there ( or anywhere for that matter)

REDWHITEBLUE2
03-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Well from what I hear their about to go up again April 1st. Anybody that believes anything that ASSCLOWN obama says is a freaking fool

actsnoblemartin
03-25-2009, 08:26 PM
I take it you dont like obama

Well from what I hear their about to go up again April 1st. Anybody that believes anything that ASSCLOWN obama says is a freaking fool

sgtdmski
03-26-2009, 02:28 AM
Taxes are always a fund topic to discuss. No matter how you look at it there will always be disagreement.

For example let's consider the Bush Tax cuts which are do to expire in 2010. If these cuts are allowed to expire across the board is the a tax raise or not? Some would say because the cuts were only temporarily allowed by Congress this is not considered raising of taxes, other would argue that if you are paying a lower rate one year and then the next year the rate is increased, it is a tax raise. Personally I consider it a tax raise.

As far as the cigarette tax goes, I will admit upfront that I am a smoker and therefore I do not like it and I consider it a tax raise. However, as a consumption tax I understand that if I do not buy cigarettes I would not be taxed. My main problem with the cigarette tax is the fact that it most affects the lower and middle income wage earners. Study after study (http://www.healthyarkansas.com/healthcare_initiatives/pdf/0147_benefit-families.pdf)has shown that most smokers are lower income earners with some middle income earners as well. Therefore this tax affects those among us who can least afford to have a higher tax. The other problem is that because it is a consumption tax, and with the major push around the country for smoker cessation programs as more people stop smoking the monies generated decrease. Since this is a tax to fund the Children's Health Initiative is it wise that it is one of the sin taxes?

dmk

Jagger
03-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Obama never promised that he wouldn't sign legislation increasing taxes on cigarettes.

Jagger
03-26-2009, 09:21 AM
the Bush Tax cuts which are do to expire in 2010. If these cuts are allowed to expire across the board is the a tax raise or not? It's a tax increase and the entire blame belongs to the Republicans.

PostmodernProphet
03-26-2009, 10:06 AM
It's a tax increase and the entire blame belongs to the Republicans.

your "logic" is unassailable.....

Yurt
03-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Obama never promised that he wouldn't sign legislation increasing taxes on cigarettes.

you're right, he said he would not raise ANY taxes, any means just that, absolutely no new taxes on anything, absolutely not in any form would there be a tax increase....and if you are going to stick to your idiotic belief that anything doesn't cover cigs....then it is obvious that you have no desire to debate truth and your love of obama has clouded your mind...

Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes

Jagger
03-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Under my plan, no family....

What plan was he talking about?

Yurt
03-26-2009, 02:42 PM
What plan was he talking about?

Jagger
03-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Obama said no new taxes... Obama never said that, dude.

Jagger
03-26-2009, 03:19 PM

Read the plan, dude. Then show us where it includes something that Obama pledged was not in it.

PostmodernProphet
03-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Read the plan, dude. Then show us where it includes something that Obama pledged was not in it.

so if Obama does something contrary to what he promised, but it isn't part of his "plan" he's still telling the truth?........perhaps that explains why he seems to be doing things without planning.....it gives him room to squeak past his promises.....

Mr. P
03-26-2009, 04:48 PM
so if Obama does something contrary to what he promised, but it isn't part of his "plan" he's still telling the truth?........perhaps that explains why he seems to be doing things without planning.....it gives him room to squeak past his promises.....

Just the tip...I promise!

Yurt
03-26-2009, 05:13 PM

i promise i will not respond to your posts, not a single post

bullypulpit
03-26-2009, 05:24 PM

The mindset of the conservative is found in the name. Change nothing...let the status quo remain unchallenged, particularly when it allows the rich to get richer and the rest of us to suck hind teat. It's social Darwinism and Chicago school economics at their worst.

Yurt
03-26-2009, 05:25 PM
The mindset of the conservative is found in the name. Change nothing...let the status quo remain unchallenged, particularly when it allows the rich to get richer and the rest of us to suck hind teat. It's social Darwinism and Chicago school economics at their worst.

meadowmuffins and you know it...that is like me saying progressives/liberals are about zero status quo, thus everything is always changing...such instability of course can't work :poke:

Jagger
03-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Obama's pledge was that his "plan" did not contain any sort of tax increase on families making less that $250,000 a year. He kept his promise. His plan did not contain any sort of tax increase on a family making less that $250,000 a year.

He never said he wouldn't sign a tax increase. He only pledged that his plan did not contain any tax increases on a family making less that $250K.

You haven't provided even a scintilla of evidence that his plan included a tax increase on families making less that $250K.

Kathianne
03-26-2009, 10:03 PM
So you are saying that we shouldn't expect a candidate to hold firm to the gist of their big points. Indeed, we should not trust they mean what they say, if not explicit.

We're getting there. Meaning we will no longer trust any fuktard running. Meaning they all suck. Meaning why vote. Meaning Any fuktard will do.

sgtdmski
03-27-2009, 03:54 AM
It's a tax increase and the entire blame belongs to the Republicans.

Of course it does. Let's see a Democrat controlled Congress, a Democrat in the White House and if the tax cuts expire its whose fault. Please pull your head out of your fourth point of contact!!!!!!

dmk

sgtdmski
03-27-2009, 06:40 AM

See there you go again, the word conservative as defined in the dictionary, has nothing to do with the political philosophy known as conservative in this country. I have stated this before and will again, if you want to define conservatives in that way, then you best move to the UK, cause that is the only place where it holds true. Conservatives in this country are and have always been classic liberals. It was FDR who subverted the word liberal in the 1930's knowingly when he decided to enact his more socialist policies, knowing that anything social would be rejected he called them liberal.

Unfortunately, the conservatives at that time, did not fight the taking of the word, and instead accepted the redefining by FDR.

Conservatives in this country have never wanted to accept the status quo. If you want to go off that definition, then riddle me this and riddle me that, the conservatives wanted to try and fix social security by allowing younger workers who willing wanted to invest some of the social security payments into private accounts, the so-called liberals wanted to protect the system as it was set up in the 1930's by FDR. Hmmm tell me which one was catering to the status quo? Seems to me that Pelosi, Reid, Kennedy and even the great Obama were the conservatives. Close-minded, clinging to the past.

dmk

sgtdmski
03-27-2009, 06:45 AM
Obama's pledge was that his "plan" did not contain any sort of tax increase on families making less that $250,000 a year. He kept his promise. His plan did not contain any sort of tax increase on a family making less that $250,000 a year.

He never said he wouldn't sign a tax increase. He only pledged that his plan did not contain any tax increases on a family making less that $250K.

You haven't provided even a scintilla of evidence that his plan included a tax increase on families making less that $250K.

No all that has been proven that in that old adage so popularly used; "When can you tell a politician is lying, when his mouth is open" can aptly be changed to "When can you tell Obama is lying, when his mouth is open."

Deny all you want, but this is what happens when you decide to elect someone who campaigned on broad promises with no plans, that way you can never hold him at his word. He never gave any plans in detail so that they would not have had a chance to be examined. Instead he gave us Faith, Hope and Change, little of which we have seen.

dmk

Yurt
03-27-2009, 12:38 PM

evidence has been provided that this is in fact a tax increase on families making less than 250K. you are just delusional.

Jagger
03-27-2009, 08:23 PM
So you are saying that we shouldn't expect a candidate to hold firm to the gist of their big points.
The gist of his pledge was that there were no tax increases in his plan at that time. He never pledged not to change his plan or that he wouldn't sign legislation to raise taxes on cigarettes.

Obama's way too smart to paint himself in a corner like George Bush the First did.

Jagger
03-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Of course it does. Let's see a Democrat controlled Congress, a Democrat in the White House and if the tax cuts expire its whose fault. Bush and the Republicans made that law that makes the tax cuts expire. The Democrats wanted to make the tax cuts permanent.

Mr. P
03-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Bush and the Republicans made that law that makes the tax cuts expire. The Democrats wanted to make the tax cuts permanent.

Do you think they will? If not who's fault is it?

Yurt
03-27-2009, 11:46 PM
Bush and the Republicans made that law that makes the tax cuts expire. The Democrats wanted to make the tax cuts permanent.

right....that is why obama and the dems are going to let the tax cuts expire

sgtdmski
03-28-2009, 04:22 AM

Really and in what world do you live. In must really be nice in your fantasy world, but here in reality the truth remains that when the tax cuts were first enacted, the democrats opposed the cuts (http://tech.mit.edu/V121/N10/taxes.10w.html).

And last year, the democrats voted to allow the cuts to expire (http://www.bloggernews.net/114447). And meanwhile your Great Obama was saying the same thing, get rid of the cuts (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/Content/Article.aspx?rsrcid=43924).

Please join the rest of us in the real world. Your alternate reality is nothing more than a myth created in your own mind that serves little purpose.

dmk