PDA

View Full Version : Interview with "Immanuel"

jimnyc
03-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Immanuel aka Immie has been with us for quite some time now and I'm embarrassed to admit that I never really got to know him too well. It's probably my lack of participation that caused this as I usually "know" someone better once they've been here as long as he is. But although I haven't jumped into the water too often, that doesn't mean I haven't read tons of his posts and viewpoints. That's why I like these interviews, as it gives us a chance to better know someone and what they're about. I've liked Immie from day one as he is my idea of the type of debater I like to see on the board. He's generally very polite and friendly, even to those who vehemently disagree with him. As with quite a few other members, I've learned a lot from reading his posts. It's not just that he is polite but also that he is quite intelligent and formulates his responses in a clear and concise manner. You'll see all of that in the following interview as Immie was kind enough to share with us in-depth answers to my questions.

First off, would you tell us more about yourself for those who don’t know you? At least what you feel comfortable sharing...

I am a 47 year old male. I am still the husband of my first wife about to reach my 25th wedding anniversary come August. I have 3 daughters and a son and so far no grandchildren and if my daughters don’t get off their lazy butts, I’m not sure I ever will.

I am a graduate of San Jose State University with a BS in Finance who minored in Religious Studies. I would like to attend seminary but I don’t want to be a preacher. Some would ask then why seminary? Because, I would like a more in depth study of the Word of God, but I just don’t want to preach.

I was a member of the United States Coast Guard Reserves.

I currently work as the Controller of a small business in Tampa Florida.

I have aspirations of writing a novel and even have the outline in my head.

I consider myself to be slightly right of center on the political scale. I believe I personify the true “Compassionate Conservative” that George Bush convinced many of us he was. I feel that way, because although I believe in conservative principals I also realize that people do need help. Welfare, Social Security, Affirmative Action, abortion and the likes are all issues that I feel strongly about and although I take the conservative side of the issue, I do not believe that a hard and fast rule should apply to any issue. For instance, although I am stoutly opposed to abortion, I realize that when the life of a mother is in danger… well there are limits we can ask anyone to go through or rape, although I would plead with any able bodied woman who was raped and pregnant from it, not to punish the child for the father’s crime… well, again there are limits.

So, in other words, in believe in conservative values and principles but I think that although sound in an ideal world, we do not actually live in an ideal world.

What do you think our government should be doing, or not doing right now to secure our economy?

I think the government should increase revenues (by whatever means it takes) and drastically cut spending. There seem to be at least two thoughts on boosting revenue in the political realm; one is to cut taxes on the wealthy thus encouraging them to spend more in the private world which would in turn boost tax revenues and the other is to raise taxes on whichever taxpayers are out of favor with the political establishment of the day. I believe both thoughts work to varying degrees. The trick is to figure out what combination works best for a given situation. In today’s economic environment, I think raising taxes is the best of the two alternatives and I am willing to do my part.

But just increasing taxes won’t suffice. We have to cut spending too. Until such a time as the politicians are willing to do this nothing will change. They cannot possibly raise taxes enough to meet our economic needs so spending cuts will have to take place. The problem is that even when they do increase taxes they simply increase spending as well and nullify the increase in revenue.

Will they cur spending? No.

What are your thoughts on the amount the Obama administration has spent thus far?

I think my answer to question 2 answers this. They are spending way too much. I think their intentions are honorable. But I think they are doomed to failure. I pray I am wrong. If they won’t cut spending, and they won’t, we are no more than spinning our wheels.

Concerning Senator Dodd... What are your thoughts on his involvement in the bill and how it was done so to protect the bonuses that would be given out by AIG?

I am probably one of the few that does not care about this issue. I think it is being used to draw attention away from the real crisis. The executives at AIG were moron’s for paying out bonuses after taking the bailout money, but I must say had I been in their shoes, I’m not sure I wouldn’t have done the same thing.

Politicians are using the bonuses to draw the attention away from the bailouts. They are trying to make executives at AIG out to be the bad guys. Those executives had such a minor role in the crisis that this “scandal” is not even worth discussing.

To Senator Dodd and his congressional cohorts I would simply say this, “it is time you start focusing on the issues at hand and forget about the partisan bickering. If you love America and want it to survive, you had better get busy working on solutions instead of pointing fingers.”

As to Senator Dodd’s involvement? If it were not him, it would have been someone else. This is all smoke and mirrors as far as I am concerned.

Have you seen anything from Hillary thus far that would allow you to form an opinion on how she is performing as Secretary of State?

Absolutely nothing! Well, I guess to answer that question the way it is worded, yes, I have seen that so far she is performing in a mediocre manner. She has done absolutely nothing to show that she deserves or is qualified for the job.

Obama recently sent an "olive branch" to Iran in the form of a video to the nation. The ruling Ayatollah rebuffed his overtures and stated he saw no change with this new administration. Where do you think this leaves Obama going forth? At what point, if any, do you think action would be necessary to prevent Iran from having the ability to create nuclear weapons?

The Ayatollah is no different than the rest of us. I see no difference in the two administrations either, at least no significant changes. Today’s ruling party is just as corrupt as yesterday’s.

I must admit that I am a bit gun shy after the Iraq War. I do not believe that our politicians (both Republican and Democrat) were honest with us. That makes me skeptical about the current situation.

I believe that sooner or later Iran will acquire nuclear weapons despite our saber rattling. I also believe that someday terrorists will acquire such weapons. I only pray our government stays one step ahead of them.

I honestly do not know what steps should be taken. I suppose that decision relies on the accuracy of our intelligence services, which I believe to be more than capable of doing the job. I simply do not believe we citizens know the whole story. Thus, I do not have an answer for what should we do.

PC or a Mac user?

Do they still make Macs? :D

Do you often download MP3's just to say "screw you" to the RIAA like I do?

No, never, simply because I don’t listen to MP3’s. I like Country Music and listen to the radio or sometimes if I am looking for a particular song I will go to YouTube. That would not be considered downloading MP3’s would it?

I think the most debated subject on our board has been the topic of homosexuality. Just a brief synopsis, what is your stance on the subject?

This is another area where my “compassionate conservatism” is evident. Homosexuality is a sin. God specifically stated that a man shall not lie with another man as he would with a woman. There is no debating this fact. However, he who is without sin, cast the first stone. I will not be throwing stones. God loves the homosexual just as much as he loves me. I believe that Christians should be preaching God’s love and mercy rather than the wrath of God against sinners. If we truly believe God wants mercy rather than punishment and that God truly died for our sins, we should be preaching “Sola Gratia, Sola Fide, Sola Sciptura”… Grace alone, Faith alone, Scripture alone. Salvation comes through God’s grace and nothing else. The law, "homosexuality is a sin", is only a mirror showing us that we are separated from God by our sins and that we need a savior. It should not be used for any other purpose.

I believe that the government should stay out of the marriage business. The Rite of Marriage is a sacred religious rite and should remain so. That being said, the government should authorize “Civil Unions” and allow civil contracts granting the legal rights associated with familial relationships that we have today and let the church administer the Rite of Marriage. The government should never be involved in promoting one life style or faith over another.

There are churches that have succumbed to pressure from the homosexual community and will ordain and marry homosexuals. I disagree with their stance, but I believe that God is leading those churches just as he leads mine. Who am I to claim that God guides my church but not theirs?

If I see a spider, I'll grab a size 40 Louisville Slugger, or a 6 foot broom, and swing at the little, furry, long legged bastard with enough strength to cave in a wall. I won't dare get any closer though as they scare the bejeebus out of me! What scares you the most?

The first thing I do when I see a spider is yell for the bug spray. That way should the broom or shoe not work the first time and the sucker gets out of sight and away, he/she will croak anyway.

What scares me the most? That is easy… having to bury one of my children. God forbid that should ever happen.

God Bless,

Immie