PDA

View Full Version : Where the Wild Things Are

dan
03-25-2009, 05:06 PM
As a huge fan of the book and Spike Jonze, I've been looking forward to this one for a while:

http://www.joblo.com/video/joblo/player.php?video=wildthingstrlr

hjmick
03-25-2009, 06:42 PM
FUCKING BRILLIANT!

I can't wait. A Playtone production to boot!

Nukeman
03-26-2009, 05:50 AM
I really can't wait to see this film as well. My 11 year old is soooooo excited to see this, its one of his favorite books....

dan
03-26-2009, 08:29 AM
I just wonder if kids will be able to appreciate it. That preview makes it seem like they're pushing it pretty exclusively toward the 20's-30's nostalgia crowd rather than kids. But, I guess you can't really tell all that much from a trailer anyway.

Monkeybone
03-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Kickass! i'll be sure to go and see this. I can understand that you have to put some filler into it for movie length, but i hope that it isn't changed too much

dan
03-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Kickass! i'll be sure to go and see this. I can understand that you have to put some filler into it for movie length, but i hope that it isn't changed too much

Well, considering the book had like a total of 5 pages of actual text, they'll probably have to embellish here and there. But Jonze cowrote the script with Dave Eggers, and they're both great writers, so I trust them.

Nukeman
10-26-2009, 10:20 AM
:thumb:OK,

Saw this this weekend with my 2 younger boys aged 7 and almost 12. I have to say anyone with a young boy of say 9-13 should take them to see this movie.

It has a very powerful message for the age range above. My 12 year old kept looking at me during the film. I would catch him glancing my way at certain times. I asked him after a while if he saw something of himself in Max? He said yes he did, I could see that he was thinking quite hard about it and seemed to really take things to heart. I than asked him if he could see how this could upset myself and his mother and he said yes. He than leaned over and let me put my arm around him (you would have to understand that our 3rd is a lttle stand-offish so its a little out of character).

I have to say for a "kids" movie it was very well done. I liked the fact that Spike Jonze didn't use CGI but the "muppet" type of characters.

Each of the "wild things" represented a different aspect of Max and how they interacted with others. This is very telling especialy if you have a "wild" little boy like I do.

I would strongly recomend this movie, great adaption and good visual effects and story line... :beer::thumb:

dan
12-26-2009, 01:39 AM
Yeah, this was my favorite movie of the year. I think rather than the viewer needing to have read the book as a kid, the viewer really needs to be able to identify with the anger/confusion of being a little boy. I've never really seen a movie explore that concept before, and they did it in a very mature way while still making it palatable to children, I think. On top of that, it was gorgeous (I think I'd be happy to have any single frame from this movie as a poster on my wall) and the special effects were awesome. Definitely a great movie.

Oh, and the soundtrack is awesome, too:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yQMcA0Q4T6c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yQMcA0Q4T6c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>