PDA

View Full Version : States Consider Drug Tests for Welfare Recipients

Monkeybone
03-26-2009, 06:31 AM
Finally! I think that this is a good idea. The last line is my favorite.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Want government assistance? Just say no to drugs.

Lawmakers in at least eight states want recipients of food stamps, unemployment benefits or welfare to submit to random drug testing.

The effort comes as more Americans turn to these safety nets to ride out the recession. Poverty and civil liberties advocates fear the strategy could backfire, discouraging some people from seeking financial aid and making already desperate situations worse.

Those in favor of the drug tests say they are motivated out of a concern for their constituents' health and ability to put themselves on more solid financial footing once the economy rebounds. But proponents concede they also want to send a message: you don't get something for nothing.

Monkeybone
03-26-2009, 06:57 AM
oops, forgot the link, sorry.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,510707,00.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29891754/
(for those of you that don't wanna dirty your computers with foxnews)

Nukeman
03-26-2009, 06:59 AM
HELL YAAA!!!!!!!!

If I want to keep my job where I make MY money I have to be drug free, why not EVERY freaking welfare receipient. they should all have to submit to a drug screen EVERY TIME they receive a check.

If they were to do this think of how much money we could save. Pass the test get your check dont pass the test DON"T get your check they could probably get rid of 3/4 of the people. If you use your money for drugs than you don't need my assistance.....

Jeff
03-26-2009, 08:33 AM
HELL YAAA!!!!!!!!

If I want to keep my job where I make MY money I have to be drug free, why not EVERY freaking welfare receipient. they should all have to submit to a drug screen EVERY TIME they receive a check.

If they were to do this think of how much money we could save. Pass the test get your check dont pass the test DON"T get your check they could probably get rid of 3/4 of the people. If you use your money for drugs than you don't need my assistance.....

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Well said!!!

Just about everyone i know that gets some kind of assistance uses some type of drugs, if made law this would save the country lots of $$$$

Sitarro
03-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Yea, I can't be drunk or drugged at work and many jobs are refusing nicotine users. The 2 most abused drugs by welfare recipients are alcohol and nicotine. The idea that my taxes are paying for expensive cigarettes really bugs me.

Mr. P
03-26-2009, 09:55 AM
I can support the testing for all the assistance programs, but not unemployment unless the individual is on the new extension program. We all pay into that fund while working, so the way I see it it's our paid for insurance.
When it runs out it runs out.

actsnoblemartin
03-26-2009, 11:08 AM
its about time :clap:

hjmick
03-26-2009, 12:11 PM
This is a policy that is long overdue.

03-26-2009, 01:04 PM
So what they are saying is we will be decreasing the budget for welfare.

PostmodernProphet
03-26-2009, 03:53 PM
they were interviewing this guy from West Virginia on the news tonight....he made a lot of sense.....he said if people on welfare apply for a job they have to pass a drug test.....he said, if we don't get them off drugs and into a rehab program while they are on assistance, they are never going to get a job.....

Mr. P
03-26-2009, 04:17 PM
I can support the testing for all the assistance programs, but not unemployment unless the individual is on the new extension program. We all pay into that fund while working, so the way I see it it's our paid for insurance.
When it runs out it runs out.

Minor adjustment...

I can support the testing for present day "illegal" drugs for all the assistance programs, but not unemployment unless the individual is on the new extension program.