PDA

View Full Version : Proposal to Track Uninsured With Red-Light Cameras Has Cities Seeing Big Money

-Cp
03-27-2009, 11:37 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,510999,00.html

Running a red light may get more complicated — and more expensive — for some of the country's uninsured drivers.

Under a proposal by Chicago Alderman Edward Burke, cameras at 132 city intersections that currently enforce $100 red light violations would also be used to nab motorists whose cars are uninsured. Washington, DC officials told FOXNews.com it is willing to consider a similiar program.

Burke says the increased enforcement not only would make Chicago's roadways safer, but, at $90 per violation, would raise nearly $10 million a year for the cash-strapped city.

"I favor using these cameras to catch more than just motorists who run red lights," Burke said in January when announcing his proposal. "I believe it would also be a responsible use of these cameras to try and reduce the number of motorists who flaunt the law by driving without insurance."

Trigg
03-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Burke says the increased enforcement not only would make Chicago's roadways safer, but, at $90 per violation, would raise nearly $10 million a year for the cash-strapped city.

Here's their motivation. Safer roads blah, blah, blah, it's all about the money.

5stringJeff
03-27-2009, 10:19 PM
And I'm sure there are a lot more great uses for these cameras in public places... all in the name of safety. Makes me want to live out in the boonies.

ArizonaRed
03-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Many of the uninsured here are not in the country legally, so it would only result in a claim of racial profiling.

Besides, AZ doesn't need to nab the uninsureds. They are making a ton of money on the red light cameras at intersections and speed cameras on the freeway. Of course, they are spending it faster, so we are still behind.

sgtdmski
03-28-2009, 04:32 AM
Perhaps they should also use the cameras to target those who drive without a seatbelt. I am surprised they haven't, I mean they thought of insurance, but I am still trying to figure out just how they are going to do this?

dmk

5stringJeff
03-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Perhaps they should also use the cameras to target those who drive without a seatbelt. I am surprised they haven't, I mean they thought of insurance, but I am still trying to figure out just how they are going to do this?

dmk

Screw that. In fact, states should ban mandatory seatbelt usage laws.

Noir
03-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Oh no!!!!

Another 'tax' that can be avoided by following the law?!?
say it ain't so.

MtnBiker
03-31-2009, 05:33 PM
Screw that. In fact, states should ban mandatory seatbelt usage laws.

Agreed!