PDA

View Full Version : Diners can 'have a ball' at testicle festival

stephanie
03-28-2009, 01:37 PM
anyone from the board attending?:laugh2:

The Associated Press

OAKDALE, Calif. - The fundraising idea may seem a little nuts, but Oakdale's annual Testicle Festival is always a big hit. On Monday, volunteers with the town's Rotary Club plan to fry up 400 pounds of the private parts of bulls and serve them to diners who pay $50 apiece for the sit-down meal.

The event, whose proceeds also benefit the Oakland Cowboy Museum, has drawn an average of 450 people and last year raised $28,000.

It's common practice on cattle ranches for young male bovines to be castrated into steers, which after the initial loss, eventually makes them more docile and easier to handle. Fans of the delicacy, also referred to as "mountain oysters," come from around the state.

According to Rotarians, everyone who buys a ticket is guaranteed to "have a ball."

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/weird_news/20090327_ap_dinerscanhaveaballattesticlefestival.h tml

Binky
03-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Some how, just the visual you presented doesn't appeal to me one bit. I shall forever go without eating any such item or items. Gross!

stephanie
03-28-2009, 02:10 PM
I tried them when I lived in Colorado and they really aren't that bad..the taste is little too rich for me though, could only eat one...

Mr. P
03-28-2009, 03:06 PM
I tried them when I lived in Colorado and they really aren't that bad..the taste is little too rich for me though, could only eat one...

Tis one of those things, like Chitlins, that will never pass my lips.

stephanie
03-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Tis one of those things, like Chitlins, that will never pass my lips.

I can't bring myself to eat gizzards or pickled pigs feet...but for some reason bull nuts didn't bother me...:coffee:

Mr. P
03-28-2009, 03:15 PM
I can't bring myself to eat gizzards or pickled pigs feet...but for some reason bull nuts didn't bother me...:coffee:

And I love frog legs...go figure..:lol:

stephanie
03-28-2009, 03:19 PM
And I love frog legs...go figure..:lol:

frog legs are pretty good, I've eaten rattlesnake while living in Texas, not bad either..

no pickled hard boiled eggs for this gal...ick

PostmodernProphet
03-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Some how, just the visual you presented doesn't appeal to me one bit. I shall forever go without eating any such item or items. Gross!

then we need a better visual....

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/36/119083080_d96b9e0999.jpg

stephanie
03-28-2009, 05:29 PM
ummmmmmmm, yummy:lol:

Mr. P
03-28-2009, 05:29 PM
frog legs are pretty good, I've eaten rattlesnake while living in Texas, not bad either..

Had rattlesnake once...I wasn't impressed..just like eating dry stringy chicken. Maybe over cooked?

My Dad and brother loved to eat snails..one night I finally tasted..DOUBLE YUK! Never again.

stephanie
03-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Had rattlesnake once...I wasn't impressed..just like eating dry stringy chicken. Maybe over cooked?

My Dad and brother loved to eat snails..one night I finally tasted..DOUBLE YUK! Never again.

oh man you are so right, Snails...barf

favorite seafood for me, Alaskan King Crab..yummy!

Mr. P
03-28-2009, 05:51 PM
oh man you are so right, Snails...barf

favorite seafood for me, Alaskan King Crab..yummy!

Oh yeah! King Crab excellent and snow crab too..Dungeness crab is wonderful too, tastes just like lobster (IMO) but much richer. I don't like blue crab..too strong a taste for me.

Kathianne
03-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Oh yeah! King Crab excellent and snow crab too..Dungeness crab is wonderful too, tastes just like lobster (IMO) but much richer. I don't like blue crab..too strong a taste for me.

Lobster, crab, scallops, and shrimp in that order of yummy...

5stringJeff
03-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Gator is about as exotic as I'll get. Bull nuts - no way!

Binky
03-29-2009, 11:46 AM

LOL! :laugh2::laugh2: I've tried gizzards and pickled pigs feet. My taste buds didn't care for 'em. Yuck! However, I do love fried chicken livers. Go figure! They have a wonderful flavor and also make a terrific addition to gravy.

Binky
03-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Gator is about as exotic as I'll get. Bull nuts - no way!

I've had aligator. It was very white and flaky. It had a great flavor as well. I've also tried squid that was made like onion rings. The flavor was good, but the consistancy was a bit rubbery.

Jeff
03-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Mountain oysters, lol

I lived on a cattle farm up until a couple months ago, we castrated many of calves , but we never ate the testicles, we feed them to the dogs.

My 6 and 7 year old both have castrated calves , they wanted to take the testicles to school for show and tell, lol

Binky
03-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Mountain oysters, lol

I lived on a cattle farm up until a couple months ago, we castrated many of calves , but we never ate the testicles, we feed them to the dogs.

My 6 and 7 year old both have castrated calves , they wanted to take the testicles to school for show and tell, lol

Well, that was charmless. Yuck!

Binky
03-30-2009, 12:48 PM
then we need a better visual....

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/36/119083080_d96b9e0999.jpg

I'll pass, thank you very much.

stephanie
03-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Mountain oysters, lol

In Colorado they called them Rocky Mountain oysters..

the part about your kids....:laugh2:

Binky
03-30-2009, 12:51 PM

Actually pickled hard boiled eggs are pretty good. Just boil the eggs and then let them sit over night in pickle juice. Walla! Pickled hard boiled eggs. Not to shabby.

And frog legs taste like chicken to me. Pretty good.

Binky
03-30-2009, 12:55 PM
As a young girl I tried oysters. Once! When I put it in my mouth it was like eating a ball of snot and clung to the back of my throat. I will never try another one. Gross!

Jeff
03-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Well, that was charmless. Yuck!

Binky my boy's are charmless sure enough, they are country, fishing, hunting , skinning pigs, they just love the country life style, and all 3 of them want to farm, I have a 14 year old also , if ya took him out of the country he would be lost, he spent the weekend rebuilding chicken houses.

Jeff
03-30-2009, 10:05 PM
As a young girl I tried oysters. Once! When I put it in my mouth it was like eating a ball of snot and clung to the back of my throat. I will never try another one. Gross!

LOL, now that's funny, my wife still say's she can eat them cause her daddy did, and ever time I get them she takes one and gets the looks on her face that I imagine you must of had, :laugh2:

emmett
03-30-2009, 10:59 PM
(Emmett looks up from toilet and says.............NOTHING.......he places his head back in toilet!)

Mr. P
03-31-2009, 12:01 AM
Raw oysters are GREAT! Lil hot sauce and crackers..:thumb:
Baby smoked clams on a Ritz crack GREAT! :thumb:

My grandfather loved to eat brains (pork I think)...grossed me out to just see This whole brain in a big bowl of water soaking before my G'ma "cleaned" and cooked them. A whole brain in a big bowl of water...:puke3:

Mr. P
03-31-2009, 12:04 AM
(Emmett looks up from toilet and says.............NOTHING.......he places his head back in toilet!)

Drinkin from the toilet IS GROSS, MAN!:slap:

Binky
03-31-2009, 11:04 AM
Binky my boy's are charmless sure enough, they are country, fishing, hunting , skinning pigs, they just love the country life style, and all 3 of them want to farm, I have a 14 year old also , if ya took him out of the country he would be lost, he spent the weekend rebuilding chicken houses.

Actually, that's nice down home stuff. However, you might want to get them away on occasion so they can see how the rest of the world makes it out there. Heck when they get older they may end up meeting a nice city girl and she'd be freaked out by that charmless lifestyle I'm sure. Who's to say where they'd meet their betrothed? One never knows, does one?

Anyway, stuff their nose in a book once in awhile so they can check out the world that way. However, there is no law against being charmless. LOL! And you might want to inform them that most young girls aren't into castrating animals and then taking said items to school for show and tell. LOL!

stephanie
03-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Drinkin from the toilet IS GROSS, MAN!:slap:

:laugh2::slap:

Jeff
03-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Actually, that's nice down home stuff. However, you might want to get them away on occasion so they can see how the rest of the world makes it out there. Heck when they get older they may end up meeting a nice city girl and she'd be freaked out by that charmless lifestyle I'm sure. Who's to say where they'd meet their betrothed? One never knows, does one?

Anyway, stuff their nose in a book once in awhile so they can check out the world that way. However, there is no law against being charmless. LOL! And you might want to inform them that most young girls aren't into castrating animals and then taking said items to school for show and tell. LOL!

LOL , My 7 year old is finding out about the girl thing, lol, as for getting them out , yes that is a must, we took them to Atlanta one day and as we sat in traffic the little one said smell that Mommy, it smells like the dirt track, lol, he was talking about the exhaust.

But me being from NJ believe me they have city life in them also,they would just rather be working on the farm, but it is know baseball season so farming took a back seat to it, lol

Binky
03-31-2009, 03:47 PM
LOL , My 7 year old is finding out about the girl thing, lol, as for getting them out , yes that is a must, we took them to Atlanta one day and as we sat in traffic the little one said smell that Mommy, it smells like the dirt track, lol, he was talking about the exhaust.

But me being from NJ believe me they have city life in them also,they would just rather be working on the farm, but it is know baseball season so farming took a back seat to it, lol

LOL! There are plenty of dirt (two track) trails around here and I can't remember even one smelling like an exhaust. LOL! Now that's some stinky stink. Peew!

Kids being what they are, will lose interest in one thing switching to another as quickly as you can say Gore is a bore. :laugh2:

Jeff
03-31-2009, 07:22 PM
LOL! There are plenty of dirt (two track) trails around here and I can't remember even one smelling like an exhaust. LOL! Now that's some stinky stink. Peew!

Kids being what they are, will lose interest in one thing switching to another as quickly as you can say Gore is a bore. :laugh2:

LOL, yes I agree, as for the exhaust they had just never seen traffic before or smelled anything like it, so I guess it reminded him of the track, lol, kids are a trip sure enough

Binky
04-01-2009, 04:04 PM
LOL, yes I agree, as for the exhaust they had just never seen traffic before or smelled anything like it, so I guess it reminded him of the track, lol, kids are a trip sure enough\

Hmmm. They've never seen traffic before? You do keep those kids sheltered don't you? I bet that was a new experience for them. Wait till they get old enough to have to drive in it. Yehaw! LOL!

Jeff
04-02-2009, 10:01 AM
\

Hmmm. They've never seen traffic before? You do keep those kids sheltered don't you? I bet that was a new experience for them. Wait till they get old enough to have to drive in it. Yehaw! LOL!

LOL, we just bought a new house in a subdivision and they are going wild, they have friends almost in ever house, we did live on a cattle farm and the only neighbors we had were cows, lol, so this is a new world to them, but don't get me wrong they do great in school and with other children, I don't want to make them sound like hill people, lol

Mr. P
04-02-2009, 10:27 AM
There's nothing wrong with the country life. Country folks are the most hard working, down to earth, trustworthy folks I know. I'd trust them in a heart beat over someone raised in an urban (city) area. The two are as different as night and day.

Jeff
04-02-2009, 10:56 AM
There's nothing wrong with the country life. Country folks are the most hard working, down to earth, trustworthy folks I know. I'd trust them in a heart beat over someone raised in an urban (city) area. The two are as different as night and day.

Yes they are Mr.P but it is also good to give the kids a little taste of everything, just so they know what is on the outside.

Mr. P
04-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Yes they are Mr.P but it is also good to give the kids a little taste of everything, just so they know what is on the outside.

Oh, I agree, otherwise they'd have no idea which was a better way of life for them.

Binky
04-02-2009, 12:20 PM
LOL, we just bought a new house in a subdivision and they are going wild, they have friends almost in ever house, we did live on a cattle farm and the only neighbors we had were cows, lol, so this is a new world to them, but don't get me wrong they do great in school and with other children, I don't want to make them sound like hill people, lol

:laugh2: Too late, as you already have. :laugh2: Anyway, the novelty of having other youngsters close by to play with will whine down to a crawl at some point. However, once it begins, kids will continue popping in and seeing what you have to snack on for years to come. LOL! Yours will be doing the same with the neighbors. LOL! Anyway, it's a good thing to watch them grow, having fun and learning to make new friends with something other than a cow. LOL! Enjoy it while it lasts.

Jeff
04-03-2009, 07:27 AM
:laugh2: Too late, as you already have. :laugh2: Anyway, the novelty of having other youngsters close by to play with will whine down to a crawl at some point. However, once it begins, kids will continue popping in and seeing what you have to snack on for years to come. LOL! Yours will be doing the same with the neighbors. LOL! Anyway, it's a good thing to watch them grow, having fun and learning to make new friends with something other than a cow. LOL! Enjoy it while it lasts.

You are so right Binky, I have a 20 year old that lives with his Mom and it seems like yesterday I was coaching his team in coaches pitch, he is know grown , time goes by so quick, we need to enjoy the good times with the kids well we can,but it was still priceless to see that little boy (who is now 7) so he couldn't of been 5 or so , holding the testicles in his hand saying " Daddy can I take the nuts to school for show and tell",LOL I still have the picture somewhere,lol

Binky
04-04-2009, 03:33 PM
You are so right Binky, I have a 20 year old that lives with his Mom and it seems like yesterday I was coaching his team in coaches pitch, he is know grown , time goes by so quick, we need to enjoy the good times with the kids well we can,but it was still priceless to see that little boy (who is now 7) so he couldn't of been 5 or so , holding the testicles in his hand saying " Daddy can I take the nuts to school for show and tell",LOL I still have the picture somewhere,lol

:laugh2::laugh2: Yucky! I can see him in my minds eye holding them up and saying that. Gross! :laugh2:

Jeff
04-05-2009, 08:48 PM
:laugh2::laugh2: Yucky! I can see him in my minds eye holding them up and saying that. Gross! :laugh2:

LOL I was home for the weekend Binky and asked him did he want his picture on the board and he is all excited, lol, I just ran out of time,maybe next weekend I will get it, lol

Sounds like I am on my way to go play in the snow, I have to go to Buffalo for Tuesday morning, so I figured get a jump on the trip so I won't have to try and hurry if it does snow up there

Mr. P
04-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I think Binky has a fetish for nuts.

Jeff
04-05-2009, 08:56 PM

LOL, I was thinking just the opposite :laugh2:

Mr. P
04-05-2009, 09:10 PM
LOL, I was thinking just the opposite :laugh2:

Could be! :laugh2:

Binky
04-06-2009, 09:21 AM

Yep, I love peanuts, walnuts and pecans. How about that, I'm just a nutty girl. Wee..............:laugh2:

Binky
04-06-2009, 09:22 AM
I hope you two buttsniffs are having a good laugh. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Jeff
04-06-2009, 06:03 PM
I hope you two buttsniffs are having a good laugh. Enjoy it while it lasts.

LOL, buttsniffs??? know that is truly charmless, lol:laugh2: