PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Health care System failed Natasha Richardson

emmett
03-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Here is one for the National Health care nuts!

The Canadian Health Care system failed her and basically allowed her to die! She fell while learning to ski but did not collide with anything. The hospital, some french named something or another, failed to do a Cat Scan, even though she was sitting in a room with one at the Emergency room. The scan would have easily identified the problem and saved her life. It would have identified an Epidural Hemotoba which required IMMEDIATE attention.

The actress was walking and talking so these routine measures were obviously not taken due to "cost" of providing. IT WAS HEAD INJURY!!!! Dah! It killed her!

What is interesting is that on all the Liberal news blogs not a word is mentioned as to the negligence of the canadian Health care system in this instance. Only Fox News gave a true report of what happened. Funny!

It is pretty much a no brainer that when you recieve a head injury, you get a Cat. Any Emergency Room doctor in America can tell you that! Hell.... I know that and I'm not a doctor. So.....keep lobbying Libs for this National Health Care System, maybe we too can have the quality care soon available to our citizens as our neighbors from the North.

Kathianne
03-30-2009, 10:37 AM

The Canadian Health Care system failed her and basically allowed her to die! She fell while learning to ski but did not collide with anything. The hospital, some french named something or another, failed to do a Cat Scan, even though she was sitting in a room with one at the Emergency room. The scan would have easily identified the problem and saved her life. It would have identified an Epidural Hemotoba which required IMMEDIATE attention.

The actress was walking and talking so these routine measures were obviously not taken due to "cost" of providing. IT WAS HEAD INJURY!!!! Dah! It killed her!

What is interesting is that on all the Liberal news blogs not a word is mentioned as to the negligence of the canadian Health care system in this instance. Only Fox News gave a true report of what happened. Funny!

It is pretty much a no brainer that when you recieve a head injury, you get a Cat. Any Emergency Room doctor in America can tell you that! Hell.... I know that and I'm not a doctor. So.....keep lobbying Libs for this National Health Care System, maybe we too can have the quality care soon available to our citizens as our neighbors from the North.

Indeed, they do not have the trauma care facilities and not one medical helicopter in Quebec. It's a rationed system, not just for service, but also equipment:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090321/ap_on_en_mo/natasha_richardson

Doctor: Lack of medical helicopter cost actress

By MESFIN FEKADU, Associated Press Writer
Sat Mar 21, 7:47 am ET

NEW YORK – As a steady stream of celebrities pay their last respects to Natasha Richardson, questions are arising over whether a medical helicopter might have been able to save the ailing actress.

The province of Quebec lacks a medical helicopter system, common in the United States and other parts of Canada, to airlift stricken patients to major trauma centers. Montreal's top head trauma doctor said Friday that may have played a role in Richardson's death.

"It's impossible for me to comment specifically about her case, but what I could say is ... driving to Mont Tremblant from the city (Montreal) is a 2 1/2-hour trip, and the closest trauma center is in the city. Our system isn't set up for traumas and doesn't match what's available in other Canadian cities, let alone in the States," said Tarek Razek, director of trauma services for the McGill University Health Centre, which represents six of Montreal's hospitals.

While Richardson's initial refusal of medical treatment cost her two hours, she also had to be driven to two hospitals. She didn't arrive at a specialized hospital in Montreal until about four hours after the second 911 call from her hotel room at the Mont Tremblant resort, according to a timeline published by Canada's The Globe and Mail newspaper.

Not being airlifted directly to a trauma center could have cost Richardson crucial moments, Razek said.

"A helicopter is obviously the fastest way to get from Point A to Point B," he said.....

Monkeybone
03-30-2009, 10:39 AM
that is becasue it was not the "standard of care" for the National Health care system. just wait until it comes here!

if it ain't cost effective forget about it!

Kathianne
03-30-2009, 10:41 AM
that is becasue it was not the "standard of care" for the National Health care system. just wait until it comes here!

if it ain't cost effective forget about it!

Yep, your child falls off bike or struck by car, and plows into curb? Good luck without top notch trauma care. Folks are going to be so disappointed, however seem eager to get on the path to the 1930s, go figure.

Said1
03-30-2009, 12:51 PM
If she needed a helicopter, I'm not sure why they wouldn't opt to use the the one in Ottawa - the distance is about the same. Quebec also has trauma centers, I"ll presume Montreal has at least one.

Jagger
03-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Fox News invokes Canadian health care bogeyman in talking about Richardson's death. http://mediamatters.org/items/200903300029?f=s_search

Kathianne
03-31-2009, 10:58 AM
Fox News invokes Canadian health care bogeyman in talking about Richardson's death. http://mediamatters.org/items/200903300029?f=s_search

They were reporting on AP story. See above. :rolleyes:

emmett
03-31-2009, 11:31 AM

Jagger..............check this out. Read it carefully.

She died because it wasn't cost effective to do a cat scan on her head. The doctor in their poorly funded Health Care nation was negligent. Their entire system is set up to be negligent. She was in Canada. They have Socialized Medicine. It caused her death.

Now stop being a simpleton and face what is! You can spin and spin and spin, until you are dizzy my friend.

emmett
03-31-2009, 11:32 AM
Fox News has nothing to do with it!

emmett
03-31-2009, 11:33 AM
The fact that the US Government News Agency, (CBS< CNN< ABC<MSNBC, etc,...) didn't report it correctly is obvious.

Jagger
03-31-2009, 11:36 AM
oops

Jagger
03-31-2009, 11:42 AM
She died because it wasn't cost effective to do a cat scan on her head.
She died because she didn't want to go to the hospital.

Abbey Marie
03-31-2009, 11:59 AM

Jagger, you're not just drinking the Kool-Aid. You're main-lining it.

Jagger
03-31-2009, 12:15 PM
Jagger, you're not just drinking the Kool-Aid. You're main-lining it.

She still died because she refused to go to the hospital.

Nukeman
03-31-2009, 12:21 PM

I hate admitt it, but Jagger is right on this one. She refused any further treatment. Case Closed. It was her OWN CHOICE to not continue with any further treatment........ regardless of what the healthcare system is like in Canada this one is not their fault............

Jagger
03-31-2009, 02:24 PM
I hate admitt it, but Jagger is right on this one. She refused any further treatment. Case Closed. It was her OWN CHOICE to not continue with any further treatment........ regardless of what the healthcare system is like in Canada this one is not their fault............
Wow!! A Conservative who actually cares about the truth. Did hell just freeze over?

Mr. P
03-31-2009, 02:57 PM

She certainly didn't help her situation by refusing treatment. However, when she was transported if it had been by helicopter to a trauma center 20 mins away, she would most likely be alive now.

Jagger
03-31-2009, 04:10 PM
She certainly didn't help her situation by refusing treatment. However, when she was transported if it had been by helicopter to a trauma center 20 mins away, she would most likely be alive now.

It was the United State Health Care System that killed her.

Said1
03-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Jagger..............check this out. Read it carefully.

She died because it wasn't cost effective to do a cat scan on her head. The doctor in their poorly funded Health Care nation was negligent. Their entire system is set up to be negligent. She was in Canada. They have Socialized Medicine. It caused her death.

Now stop being a simpleton and face what is! You can spin and spin and spin, until you are dizzy my friend.

I can't see the link?

Jagger
03-31-2009, 04:36 PM
I can't see the link?

It was the United State Health Care System that killed her. She was doing fine in Canadian Health Care.

Mr. P
03-31-2009, 04:46 PM

I was in the United States health care system that would have had her in a trauma center within 1 hr, you duffus! How long was it in Canada before she reached one? She was dead by then BTW.

Said1
03-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Quebec has a civil emergency system, wherein they use private helicopters - they also have planes employed by hospitals, although probably useless in most situations.

Anyway, as I said, if it was apparent that a helicopter was needed before she left the resort, I'm not sure why they wouldn't use Ottawa's as we are closer to Mont Tremblent, than Montreal 90 min as opposed to 2 1/2 hours..

If I'm not mistaken, the second hospital she was brought to (after her condition was supposedly stabilized, according to several media reports) specializes in neuroscience, head injuries etc. I can't say why she wasn't brought there first, however, I don't think it had anything to do with cost efficiencies - unless I missed that reported somewhere.

Said1
03-31-2009, 04:49 PM
I was in the United States health care system that would have had her in a trauma center within 1 hr, you duffus! How long was it in Canada before she reached one? She was dead by then BTW.

As I said. She should have been brought to Ottawa, much closer no matter how you get here.

Said1
03-31-2009, 04:59 PM
It was the United State Health Care System that killed her. She was doing fine in Canadian Health Care.

This makes no sense.

Mr. P
03-31-2009, 05:01 PM
As I said. She should have been brought to Ottawa, much closer no matter how you get here.

They may have been at capacity..I've seen it happen here. When they just can't take another trauma they shut down reception for a bit and divert to another hospital. But still, by air it's much faster.

Said1
03-31-2009, 05:16 PM
They may have been at capacity..I've seen it happen here. When they just can't take another trauma they shut down reception for a bit and divert to another hospital. But still, by air it's much faster.

It is possible, but there is more than one trauma center, closer to Mont Tremblant, than Montreal - and that is my point. I guess things progressed very quickly as they approached Montreal?

From what I've read, she was conscious when she left the resort - in your experience, how do people decide when air lifting is necessary? I'm not defending decisions, I just don't know a lot about procedures.

Mr. P
03-31-2009, 06:08 PM
It is possible, but there is more than one trauma center, closer to Mont Tremblant, than Montreal - and that is my point. I guess things progressed very quickly as they approached Montreal?

From what I've read, she was conscious when she left the resort - in your experience, how do people decide when air lifting is necessary? I'm not defending decisions, I just don't know a lot about procedures.

Here in Georgia, they have a protocol, a few examples, every head trauma gets a helicopter ride to a trauma center. Same goes for a fall of 20 feet or a compound femur break. All of these accidents are potentially deadly, even if the patient seems fine. Most rural hospitals will call for a helicopter in a second when they receive one of these injuries.

It's not perfect though..I had a call one night to standby because a hunter had fallen from a tree stand. Those at the scene decided they did not need us (a mistake) and transported him by ground to the local hospital...the guy died about 6 hrs later from internal bleeding. Had we have been launched and transported him he may well be alive today..

Nukeman
03-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Wow!! A Conservative who actually cares about the truth. Did hell just freeze over?
Wow a Liberal that hasn't embelished the truth.... did hell just freeze over........???????????

Said1
03-31-2009, 07:26 PM
Here in Georgia, they have a protocol, a few examples, every head trauma gets a helicopter ride to a trauma center. Same goes for a fall of 20 feet or a compound femur break. All of these accidents are potentially deadly, even if the patient seems fine. Most rural hospitals will call for a helicopter in a second when they receive one of these injuries.

It's not perfect though..I had a call one night to standby because a hunter had fallen from a tree stand. Those at the scene decided they did not need us (a mistake) and transported him by ground to the local hospital...the guy died about 6 hrs later from internal bleeding. Had we have been launched and transported him he may well be alive today..

That's interesting and obviously unfortunate in the latter case.

Certainly, there are many things that could have been done differently, and I honestly don't know how charter, medivac helicopter services are employed or how that decision is made. Callling 9/11 herself probably didn't help - language problems? One problem in Quebec is that many municipal workers do not know how to speak english properly. They can be assholes about language sometimes, too. Hopefully that wasn't the case!

I was at another resort in Quebec, on a class trip when I was in grade 9 and I had a seizure after getting off the chair lift, at the top of the ski hill (I had already seen a doctor about that). The first aid staff responded appropriately, but someone from management came over to my teacher and I and insisted that I had to leave as soon as I felt up to driving back - just in case. Probably a better policy.

Moreover, a medivac system employed or funded by provincial health care is up to Quebec, not the federal government. They can do what they want with their budget.

April15
03-31-2009, 08:22 PM

She refused! Duhhhh

emmett
03-31-2009, 09:23 PM

What did he say?:lol:

Jagger
04-01-2009, 09:02 AM

Kathianne
04-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Jagger thread banned, repeating self.

bullypulpit
04-02-2009, 10:48 AM
The simple fact of the matter is that she refused treatment after her fall. The health system had nothing to do with her decision.