PDA

View Full Version : Law-breaking Spokane residents bootleg dish soap

stephanie
03-30-2009, 11:33 AM
:eek:

Associated Press
SPOKANE, Wash. -- The quest for squeaky-clean dishes has turned some law-abiding people in Spokane into dishwater-detergent smugglers.

They are bringing Cascade or Electrasol in from out of state because the eco-friendly varieties required under Washington state law don't work as well.

Spokane County became the launch pad last July for the nation's strictest ban on dishwasher detergent made with phosphates, a measure aimed at reducing water pollution. The ban will be expanded statewide in July 2010, the same time similar laws take effect in several other states.

But it's not easy to get sparkling dishes when you go green. Many people were shocked to find that products like Seventh Generation, Ecover and Trader Joe's left their dishes encrusted with food, smeared with grease and too gross to use without rewashing them by hand. The culprit was hard water, which is mineral-rich and resistant to soap.

As a result, there has been a quiet rush of Spokane-area shoppers heading east on Interstate 90 into Idaho in search of old-school suds.

Real estate agent Patti Marcotte of Spokane stocks up on detergent at a Costco in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, and doesn't care who knows it.

"Yes, I am a smuggler," she said. "I'm taking my chances because dirty dishes I cannot live with."

http://www.bnd.com/news/nation/story/707230.html

Trigg
03-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Another example of the gov. knowing what's best for the little guy.

Don't worry bambam and the other liberals will take care of you, go back to sleep now.

Personally, if the day ever comes when my state gov. starts telling me what kind of soap I can use. I"M MOVING!!

Kathianne
03-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Another example of the gov. knowing what's best for the little guy.

Don't worry bambam and the other liberals will take care of you, go back to sleep now.

Personally, if the day ever comes when my state gov. starts telling me what kind of soap I can use. I"M MOVING!!

Oh they probably do. Enzymes were like the best thing since sliced bread for getting clothes clean. However, they really screwed up the ecosystems of rivers and lakes. I know all the Great Lake states banned them, for good cause, but that is regulation. A good one, IMO, but regulation nevertheless.

Trigg
03-30-2009, 04:15 PM
Oh they probably do. Enzymes were like the best thing since sliced bread for getting clothes clean. However, they really screwed up the ecosystems of rivers and lakes. I know all the Great Lake states banned them, for good cause, but that is regulation. A good one, IMO, but regulation nevertheless.

Well alright, that was a good decision. But, Cascade!!!!!!

I did try the "Green" dish soap---once, it was on sale one day. I had to use twice as much to get the dishes clean. It was awful.

Kathianne
03-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Well alright, that was a good decision. But, Cascade!!!!!!

I did try the "Green" dish soap---once, it was on sale one day. I had to use twice as much to get the dishes clean. It was awful.

I agree. Windex hasn't worked well in my opinion since going green. Of course it 'works' on 'all surfaces', water does. Doesn't get it clean though. Don't even talk to me about 'green' paper towels or toilet paper! :death:

Mr. P
03-30-2009, 04:43 PM
LOL they can bitch all they want about the soap, they live there they're green they vote, they gotta DEAL with it. Gotta work harder without modern stuff to SAVE the world, ya know! I can't wait for them to outlaw TP out there, to protect the trees ya know! :laugh2:

Trigg
03-31-2009, 12:06 PM
LOL they can bitch all they want about the soap, they live there they're green they vote, they gotta DEAL with it. Gotta work harder without modern stuff to SAVE the world, ya know! I can't wait for them to outlaw TP out there, to protect the trees ya know! :laugh2:

True, if they don't like the laws they need to vote.:salute:

stephanie
03-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Didn't they know in order to be good little environmentalist they have to sacrifice some of those luxuries they had. I thought they were taught that in the schools...why should they complain now about having to eat off of dirty dishes...:laugh2:

Binky
03-31-2009, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE=stephanie;359490]:eek:

Associated Press
SPOKANE, Wash. -- The quest for squeaky-clean dishes has turned some law-abiding people in Spokane into dishwater-detergent smugglers.

They are bringing Cascade or Electrasol in from out of state because the eco-friendly varieties required under Washington state law don't work as well.

Spokane County became the launch pad last July for the nation's strictest ban on dishwasher detergent made with phosphates, a measure aimed at reducing water pollution. The ban will be expanded statewide in July 2010, the same time similar laws take effect in several other states.

But it's not easy to get sparkling dishes when you go green. Many people were shocked to find that products like Seventh Generation, Ecover and Trader Joe's left their dishes encrusted with food, smeared with grease and too gross to use without rewashing them by hand. The culprit was hard water, which is mineral-rich and resistant to soap.

As a result, there has been a quiet rush of Spokane-area shoppers heading east on Interstate 90 into Idaho in search of old-school suds.

Real estate agent Patti Marcotte of Spokane stocks up on detergent at a Costco in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, and doesn't care who knows it.

"Yes, I am a smuggler," she said. "I'm taking my chances because dirty dishes I cannot live with."

http://www.bnd.com/news/nation/story/707230.html[/QUO\\

OOOOhhhh. Better toss that woman in the hooscow and pitch the key. LOL!

It's amazing how quickly a gov't can move when motivated. Now......if we could get the fed. gov't to move on cleaning up our borders and rid us of the illegals then we'd have something.