PDA

View Full Version : Florida Lawmakers Consider Beer Tax Hike

stephanie
03-30-2009, 02:56 PM
POSTED: Friday, March 27, 2009
UPDATED: 9:30 pm EDT March 27, 2009

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Enjoying a cold one is a favorite pasttime for many that could soon cost more money. Florida lawmakers are considering a raise in the beer tax as a way to help replenish the $6.4 billion deficit.

While lawmakers aren't completely sold on the idea, it's still considered a viable option.

Culhane's Irish Pub co-owner Michelle Culhane said a beer tax increase would exaggerate the problem.

"Every restaurant right now is hurting, especially from the fine dining down to the ma and pops," Culhane said. "It's just going to be a trickle effect down to the beer companies, down to the restaurants."

Ultimately it would trickle down to the consumer, who when forced to pay more might drink less.

"Even in Ireland, with the tax increases on beer and cigarettes so many restaurants and pubs are out of business because of it," Culhane said.

read the rest and comments..
http://www.news4jax.com/news/19032774/detail.html#-

Trigg
03-30-2009, 03:51 PM
I have to agree with the pub owner. If they raise the tax on alcohol, people will start drinking less. Restaurants are already hurting because of the recession, why would the gov. want to make it worse??????

Mr. P
03-30-2009, 04:26 PM
I have to agree with the pub owner. If they raise the tax on alcohol, people will start drinking less. Restaurants are already hurting because of the recession, why would the gov. want to make it worse??????

Cuz they ain't got a clue of how to CUT spending, their objective is to continue to fund the bloated budget.

Immanuel
03-30-2009, 05:46 PM
This is just hitting too close to home!

I don't think I will be able to afford my 3-4 six packs a year... if that many, if they raise the taxes on beer! Hell, it might drive me to smoking pop if they raise the tax. Okay, that last sentence is stretching it a hell of a long way.

It really would not affect me too much. It wouldn't bother me one bit, but I think the "sin tax" idea is still not going to cut it. The government had better figure out how to cut spending because they can't tax everything we earn and if they don't tax everything we earn they aren't going to have enough revenue, so they better find something they can do without AND SOON!

Immie

Kathianne
03-30-2009, 05:57 PM
This is just hitting too close to home!

I don't think I will be able to afford my 3-4 six packs a year... if that many, if they raise the taxes on beer! Hell, it might drive me to smoking pop if they raise the tax. Okay, that last sentence is stretching it a hell of a long way.

It really would not affect me too much. It wouldn't bother me one bit, but I think the "sin tax" idea is still not going to cut it. The government had better figure out how to cut spending because they can't tax everything we earn and if they don't tax everything we earn they aren't going to have enough revenue, so they better find something they can do without AND SOON!

Immie

Immie, you can afford the sin tax, as can I right now, though I'm spending the 90 bucks on Chantix. However it's spelled. What about those that can't? Granted better for their health, but could lead to an increase in crime, even moonshining. For what? Substandard healthcare, that won't be paid for by cigs or alcohol?

Immanuel
03-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Immie, you can afford the sin tax, as can I right now, though I'm spending the 90 bucks on Chantix. However it's spelled. What about those that can't? Granted better for their health, but could lead to an increase in crime, even moonshining. For what? Substandard healthcare, that won't be paid for by cigs or alcohol?

No, maybe, I did not make myself clear. I am not advocating this kind of a tax. Nor am I saying that I don't care because it won't hurt me. My point was that it is not the way to go.

Now, personally, in response to your question, I would say, that if you can't afford to pay the extra tax, then you probably cannot afford to be buying beer (or cigarettes) in the first place. Those habits are not cheap. Unfortunately, where the problem lies is that many of the "poor" i.e. those who cannot afford the tax, will still buy the beer and let their family go hungry.

Many people who play the lottery are in the same boat. They can't afford to put food on the table, but, gosh darn it they are going to buy those lottery tickets because they just know that someday they are going to win. Playing the lottery is no big deal for those who can afford it, but when those who can't still play and their kids go hungry because of it, that is a problem.

And don't tell me this doesn't happen! What is the disclaimer on alcohol commercials? "Please drink responsibly" and they are not only talking about not drinking and driving. What is the disclaimer on lottery ads? "Please play responsibly". In other words, don't buy more tickets than you can afford.

Immie

Mr. P
03-30-2009, 07:46 PM
POSTED: Friday, March 27, 2009
UPDATED: 9:30 pm EDT March 27, 2009

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Enjoying a cold one is a favorite pasttime for many that could soon cost more money. Florida lawmakers are considering a raise in the beer tax as a way to help replenish the $6.4 billion deficit.

While lawmakers aren't completely sold on the idea, it's still considered a viable option.

Culhane's Irish Pub co-owner Michelle Culhane said a beer tax increase would exaggerate the problem.

"Every restaurant right now is hurting, especially from the fine dining down to the ma and pops," Culhane said. "It's just going to be a trickle effect down to the beer companies, down to the restaurants."

Ultimately it would trickle down to the consumer, who when forced to pay more might drink less.

"Even in Ireland, with the tax increases on beer and cigarettes so many restaurants and pubs are out of business because of it," Culhane said.

read the rest and comments..
http://www.news4jax.com/news/19032774/detail.html#-

Time to get serious about home brew an plant some baka.