PDA

View Full Version : One question

03-30-2009, 09:41 PM
If you could ask God only one question, but you were ensured an answer, what would you ask Him?

Abbey Marie
03-30-2009, 10:03 PM
If you could ask God only one question, but you were ensured an answer, what would you ask Him?

"Am I truly forgiven all my sins?"

Noir
03-31-2009, 04:31 AM
if you are willing to prevent evil, but not able, then you are not omnipotent.
If you are able but not willing then you are malevolent.
If you are both willing and able then there is no evil.
If you are not willing or able then you are not a God

Which of the above is true?

PostmodernProphet
03-31-2009, 07:01 AM
what's up with that platypus.......

PostmodernProphet
03-31-2009, 07:03 AM

by who's standard......who get's to choose the "lesser" of two evils?.......one could "prevent" evil by eliminating free will.....is that better than evil?......

Sitarro
03-31-2009, 07:15 AM
what's up with that platypus.......

I think the Duckbilled Platypus is definitely proof of a great sense of humor.

PostmodernProphet
03-31-2009, 09:19 AM
I think the Duckbilled Platypus is definitely proof of a great sense of humor.

does the fact we find it humorous tell us what "in his image" really means?......

emmett
03-31-2009, 09:25 AM
God.......since i know you are a Libertarian, could you please run for President?

Noir
03-31-2009, 10:01 AM
by who's standard......who get's to choose the "lesser" of two evils?.......one could "prevent" evil by eliminating free will.....is that better than evil?......

It doesn't matter which is the lesser, as he does both anyway, on earth he gives free will and evil, in heaven he removes free will and evil, inwhich case he must be malevolent at one stage or another no matter who's standards you use no?

crin63
03-31-2009, 12:06 PM
It doesn't matter which is the lesser, as he does both anyway, on earth he gives free will and evil, in heaven he removes free will and evil, inwhich case he must be malevolent at one stage or another no matter who's standards you use no?

God made the world and all that was in it perfect, man corrupted it.

crin63
03-31-2009, 12:09 PM
"Am I truly forgiven all my sins?"

By all that we know of God you would have to be in order to ask Him a question. There would have to be union with Christ in order for God to hear you and not consume you with fire.

PostmodernProphet
03-31-2009, 02:06 PM
on earth he gives free will and evil

no, that's the point....he gives free will.....we give the evil.......

Mr. P
03-31-2009, 02:36 PM
I'd ask Zeus if all that thunder & lightning is really necessary.

crin63
03-31-2009, 02:39 PM
I'd ask Zeus if all that thunder & lightning is really necessary.

I find comfort in lightning and thunder. I figure that's how God would sound if He spoke to us.

-Cp
03-31-2009, 02:50 PM
By all that we know of God you would have to be in order to ask Him a question. There would have to be union with Christ in order for God to hear you and not consume you with fire.

This is patently false....

PostmodernProphet
03-31-2009, 03:00 PM
I suppose anyone that wants to can ask him a question.....it would be up to him whether to answer....whether anyone can state that anything about God is patently or unmistakeably false I would say is a pretty open question......

manu1959
03-31-2009, 03:03 PM
i would wish for three more wishes.....:poke:

i would ask why did you bother with all this...

PostmodernProphet
03-31-2009, 03:10 PM
i would wish for three more wishes.....:poke:

i would ask why did you bother with all this...

according to the rules and disclaimers engraved on the bottom of the lamp, this was never an option.......

manu1959
03-31-2009, 03:17 PM
according to the rules and disclaimers engraved on the bottom of the lamp, this was never an option.......

then i would wish the rules be ignored and wish for three more wishes....

crin63
03-31-2009, 03:47 PM
This is patently false....

Isa 59:1 Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear:
Isa 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me

Its pretty clear cut!!

5stringJeff
03-31-2009, 04:07 PM
I would ask for some more questions. :)

But, if I had to play by your rules, I suppose I would ask... well, I don't know. I really just couldn't boil it down to one question, unless the one question was all-encompassing (i.e. "can you explain everything to me?")

5stringJeff
03-31-2009, 04:09 PM
if you are willing to prevent evil, but not able, then you are not omnipotent.
If you are not willing or able then you are not a God

Which of the above is true?

None. All are false.

God is both willing and able to stop evil from occurring. However, just because He has not yet dealt with evil does not mean that He will never deal with it. God is eternal, and therefore His timing is not our timing.

5stringJeff
03-31-2009, 04:14 PM

This is not correct. He gives us free will, but He does not give evil. Man's wrong choices bring evil on the earth. But He gives us free will so that we will choose to obey Him, out of love. Without free will, we would obey like robots, without a choice - like slaves, instead of in love. So free will introduces the ability to sin, but it also introduces the ability to love. God chose that we should accept Him out of our will, instead of being forced to accept Him in a manner that would be against the will of many.

In heaven, God removes free will, in that He removes the freedom to sin. However, every saint in heaven wishes for this will to be removed anyway, because we want to obey God instead of disobeying Him.

03-31-2009, 10:04 PM
I would ask for some more questions. :)

But, if I had to play by your rules, I suppose I would ask... well, I don't know. I really just couldn't boil it down to one question, unless the one question was all-encompassing (i.e. "can you explain everything to me?")

The answer, of course, would be yes. But then I dont think you'd be happy with that answer.

-Cp
03-31-2009, 10:18 PM
This is not correct. He gives us free will, but He does not give evil. Man's wrong choices bring evil on the earth. But He gives us free will so that we will choose to obey Him, out of love. Without free will, we would obey like robots, without a choice - like slaves, instead of in love. So free will introduces the ability to sin, but it also introduces the ability to love. God chose that we should accept Him out of our will, instead of being forced to accept Him in a manner that would be against the will of many.

In heaven, God removes free will, in that He removes the freedom to sin. However, every saint in heaven wishes for this will to be removed anyway, because we want to obey God instead of disobeying Him.

Can you please provide some clear, biblical scripture that tells us everyone born after Adam/Eve have "free will"?

Don't you believe that Lucifer and some angels were booted out of heaven? If so, wouldn't that imply they had "free will"? If they had this so-called "free-will" why wouldn't the saints who spend eternity there also have it?

Noir
04-01-2009, 03:28 AM
God made the world and all that was in it perfect, man corrupted it.

Except for that there tree of knowledge, the one imperfection.

But all the same, you missed my point, god could the use free will, which would lead to pain and suffering ect, or he could make us all robots with no sin. It does not matter which you view as to your option, because he does both.

04-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Except for that there tree of knowledge, the one imperfection.

But all the same, you missed my point, god could the use free will, which would lead to pain and suffering ect, or he could make us all robots with no sin. It does not matter which you view as to your option, because he does both.

There was nothing about the Tree of knowledge that made creation imperfect. In fact, I would argue it was the tree that made creation perfect because it provided man agency. And how can perfection exist without choice?

AlbumAddict
04-01-2009, 04:28 PM

I believe this is a fallacy.

If I am able to do my daughter's math homework for her and I am willing to do it for her, but she chooses to do it herself and not allow me to do it for her, and then she fails, is it my fault she got an "F"? The same is true in your statement. If God is able to remove evil and willing, but those that are evil choose to continue being evil, is he responsible for the evil? I think not.

My question would be:

Why do you love me?

5stringJeff
04-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Can you please provide some clear, biblical scripture that tells us everyone born after Adam/Eve have "free will"?

John 3:16: "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."

John 3:36: “He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

Romans 10:9: "if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

Joel 2:32: "32 “And it will come about that whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be delivered."

Belief and confession (that is, a truthful confession) are actions that cannot be made under compulsion. One cannot be forced to believe something - witness the many posters on this board who do not believe in God, even after speaking with other members who do believe in God. These actions must be made by a free agent - a being that is able to decide one way ro the other.

Not that this invalidates God's sovereignity. God can still have sovereign foreknowledge of who will believe in Him and who will not, and is still omnipotent to act so that those who will believe are given the ability to believe.

Don't you believe that Lucifer and some angels were booted out of heaven? If so, wouldn't that imply they had "free will"? If they had this so-called "free-will" why wouldn't the saints who spend eternity there also have it?

Yes, I believe that Lucifer - and all the angels, for that matter - had the choice whether or not to serve God. Whether or not their free will was temporary or permanent, I don't know (I suspect it was was temporary, but this is purely based on what I've read elsewhere). I believe that all humans also have the same free will, and that both angels and humans who use that free will to reject God will ultimately spend eternity paying for that choice.

crin63
04-02-2009, 09:00 PM
John 3:16: "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."

John 3:36: “He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

Romans 10:9: "if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

Joel 2:32: "32 “And it will come about that whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be delivered."

Belief and confession (that is, a truthful confession) are actions that cannot be made under compulsion. One cannot be forced to believe something - witness the many posters on this board who do not believe in God, even after speaking with other members who do believe in God. These actions must be made by a free agent - a being that is able to decide one way ro the other.

Not that this invalidates God's sovereignity. God can still have sovereign foreknowledge of who will believe in Him and who will not, and is still omnipotent to act so that those who will believe are given the ability to believe.

Yes, I believe that Lucifer - and all the angels, for that matter - had the choice whether or not to serve God. Whether or not their free will was temporary or permanent, I don't know (I suspect it was was temporary, but this is purely based on what I've read elsewhere). I believe that all humans also have the same free will, and that both angels and humans who use that free will to reject God will ultimately spend eternity paying for that choice.

What's your take on these scriptures Jeff?

Joh 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

If you cant get to God the Father except through Jesus and if you cant come to Jesus except God the Father draw you, where is the free will?

04-02-2009, 09:11 PM

Joh 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

If you cant get to God the Father except through Jesus and if you cant come to Jesus except God the Father draw you, where is the free will?

Whether you accept the covenant or not.

A covenant is a promise between man and God (sometimes between several men and God). Each party has something they need to do to fulfill their obligations.

Our actions alone can do nothing. Without the Covenant, without the promise from God, we can't come to Him.

But that doesnt mean we dont have a choice whether to accept it or not.

When a man and a woman enter into a marriage covenant, they do so by chosing one another. Can a woman marry a man if he doesnt invite her to and vice versa? There is a two way relationship. Just like between an and God.

God may set the terms, but that doesnt mean we have no choice on whether to accept the relationship.

PostmodernProphet
04-03-2009, 06:50 AM
where is the free will?

why did you choose to argue against free will?.......because you are free to choose.....

crin63
04-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Whether you accept the covenant or not.

A covenant is a promise between man and God (sometimes between several men and God). Each party has something they need to do to fulfill their obligations.

Our actions alone can do nothing. Without the Covenant, without the promise from God, we can't come to Him.

But that doesnt mean we dont have a choice whether to accept it or not.

When a man and a woman enter into a marriage covenant, they do so by chosing one another. Can a woman marry a man if he doesnt invite her to and vice versa? There is a two way relationship. Just like between an and God.

God may set the terms, but that doesnt mean we have no choice on whether to accept the relationship.

why did you choose to argue against free will?.......because you are free to choose.....

Mostly I'm just curious why people who believe in free will, believe the way they do. It seems to me then you have to throw out all the scriptures on, "election" and Gods foreknowledge of who will come to Christ.

PostmodernProphet
04-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Mostly I'm just curious why people who believe in free will, believe the way they do. It seems to me then you have to throw out all the scriptures on, "election" and Gods foreknowledge of who will come to Christ.

I think we've already covered the fact that there is no contradiction between election and free will.....several pages ago....

5stringJeff
04-03-2009, 06:17 PM

I think John 14:6 has more to do with the exclusiveness of salvation through Christ, i.e. salvation can come only through Christ, not through the Quran, reincarnation, etc.

John 6:44, and the many other scriptures that deal with divine election, I wholeheartedly believe in. I believe that God has divine foreknowledge of those who will accept His free gift of grace. For instance, Ephesians 1:8-10 says, "In all wisdom and insight He made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ." (NASB) So, in all of His wisdom, which includes the foreknowledge of those who will accept Christ, God made the mystery of His will known to us (i.e. those that believe). This is according to His intention that none should perish (see 2 Peter 3:9). I guess you could sum up my belief on this by saying that God chooses to reveal Himself to those He know will accept Him.