PDA

View Full Version : Three Foreign Students Arrested for Burning American Flag

5stringJeff
04-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Serves them right. I hope the two non-citizens get deported.

------------
NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Three Yale University students were arrested and charged with arson and other offenses after they allegedly set fire to an American flag hanging from the porch of a New Haven neighborhood home.

The three were arrested early Tuesday after officers on patrol spotted the burning flag and tore it from the pole where it was mounted to the house on Chapel Street, police said.

Said Hyder Akbar, 23, Nikolaos Angelopoulos, 19, and Farhad Anklesaria, also 19, were arrested on charges ranging from reckless endangerment to arson.

Freshmen Angelopoulos and Anklesaria are both foreign citizens. Anklesaria is British and Angelopoulos is Greek.

Akbar, a senior, was born in Pakistan, according to police, but is a U.S. citizen. Both Anklesaria and Angelopoulos had to turn over their passports.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,263927,00.html

Gaffer
04-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Lock them all up and deport them. Even the so called American citizen as he doesn't appreciate what he has here. My bet is they are all muslim as well.

Don't like America? Get the fuck out and don't ever come back.

04-04-2007, 05:00 PM
So why on earth would they burn a flag that belongs to someone else? I mean I dont think flag burners are very bright but youd think they would be smart enough to do it in a way that doesnt get them arrested.

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Yeah that was a pretty dumb stunt. Least they could have done is take it down from the building and not risk burning some innocent persons house down.

Flag burning is okay but only with your own flag.

Gaffer
04-04-2007, 05:15 PM
So why on earth would they burn a flag that belongs to someone else? I mean I dont think flag burners are very bright but youd think they would be smart enough to do it in a way that doesnt get them arrested.

We're talking muslims here.

Mr. P
04-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Yeah that was a pretty dumb stunt. Least they could have done is take it down from the building and not risk burning some innocent persons house down.

That would have been theft and still wrong and illegal.

Burning a flag, except for proper disposal, is NOT OK.

stephanie
04-04-2007, 05:46 PM

Someday...hopefully you'll grow up... and understand patriotism, and love of one's country, really mean...:salute:

Hugh Lincoln
04-04-2007, 07:00 PM
An American citizen was rejected for each of these assholes for admission to a prestigious American college. This is what America is now: once upon a time, it nurtured itself. Now, it destroys itself.

Gunny
04-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Serves them right. I hope the two non-citizens get deported.

------------
NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Three Yale University students were arrested and charged with arson and other offenses after they allegedly set fire to an American flag hanging from the porch of a New Haven neighborhood home.

The three were arrested early Tuesday after officers on patrol spotted the burning flag and tore it from the pole where it was mounted to the house on Chapel Street, police said.

Said Hyder Akbar, 23, Nikolaos Angelopoulos, 19, and Farhad Anklesaria, also 19, were arrested on charges ranging from reckless endangerment to arson.

Freshmen Angelopoulos and Anklesaria are both foreign citizens. Anklesaria is British and Angelopoulos is Greek.

Akbar, a senior, was born in Pakistan, according to police, but is a U.S. citizen. Both Anklesaria and Angelopoulos had to turn over their passports.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,263927,00.html

They got off easy. I'd have shot them for setting fire to my colors.

Gunny
04-04-2007, 07:42 PM
An American citizen was rejected for each of these assholes for admission to a prestigious American college. This is what America is now: once upon a time, it nurtured itself. Now, it destroys itself.

For once, I agree with you. We need to take care of our own before we start giving freebies to others; especially, ones who show their gratitude like these morons.

04-04-2007, 08:10 PM
We're talking muslims here.

Maybe Im just being too optmistic but i wouldnt have thought that would make them just be stupid.

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 08:10 PM
They got off easy. I'd have shot them for setting fire to my colors.
and gone to jail for murder. Sorry killing is not the right responce to flag burning and is way worse.

Gunny
04-04-2007, 08:18 PM
and gone to jail for murder. Sorry killing is not the right responce to flag burning and is way worse.

Good thing cowardly asshats like you have the law to hide behind. If you actually had to survive of your own accord, you wouldn't last long.

And I do believe they just passed a bill here in Texas that assholes attacking you no longer have to be inside your house, but on your property. And you can rest assured I would be telling of the assault against me to get to my flag.

And I could hardly wait to ensure you knew all about it.

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 08:42 PM
lol I wish I lived near enough to ya to test that theory.

Gunny
04-04-2007, 08:52 PM
lol I wish I lived near enough to ya to test that theory.

Really, you don't. That radical, Left Coast BS doesn't go around here.

grunt
04-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Really, you don't. That radical, Left Coast BS doesn't go around here.

Hey Gunny, actually in Texas, and a few other states, you can use deadly force to stop a felony in progress. I believe arson is a felony. I would have shot all three of those fucks right where they stood.

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Can't believe ya'll think murder is a justifiable reaction to seeing someone burn a flag. Now that’s some immoral crap.

Kathianne
04-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Can't believe ya'll think murder is a justifiable reaction to seeing someone burn a flag. Now that’s some immoral crap.

Personally, if all they did was burn the flag, I don't understand why they were arrested. Ooops seems more than that.

grunt
04-04-2007, 09:05 PM

They committed arson, jackass. That is a felony. And if some dipshit tried to set fire to anything attached to my house, I'd shoot them in the face.

CockySOB
04-04-2007, 09:05 PM

Considering they trespassed on someone's property and stole their flag which they then proceeded to burn... a little more here than a demonstration of free speech. It's called criminal trespass, vandalism and destruction of property, and they deserve some jail time at the very least for it.

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Yes jail time. I already said they were dumbasses for lighting a flag on fire still attached to a house. Still no reason to kill them for it if you saw them.

-Cp
04-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Considering they trespassed on someone's property and stole their flag which they then proceeded to burn... a little more here than a demonstration of free speech. It's called criminal trespass, vandalism and destruction of property, and they deserve some jail time at the very least for it.

I think folks have glossed over the fact that these punks are VISITORS to our country and therefore NOT protected under the Constitional rights that actual Citizens have...

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 09:09 PM
They committed arson, jackass. That is a felony. And if some dipshit tried to set fire to anything attached to my house, I'd shoot them in the face.
and Fuck very much too.

Now back to the point. They didn't catch the house on fire. If someone had came out they probably would have run away. Shooting them would not be a reasonable amount of force to use in that situation. Unless they were doing something else.

grunt
04-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Yes jail time. I already said they were dumbasses for lighting a flag on fire still attached to a house. Still no reason to kill them for it if you saw them.

Bullshit. Them endangering my family, neighbors and me all deserves two to the chest.

grunt
04-04-2007, 09:11 PM
and Fuck very much too.
Now back to the point. They didn't catch the house on fire. If someone had came out they probably would have run away. Shooting them would not be a reasonable amount of force to use in that situation. Unless they were doing something else.

As I wrote earlier. In some states it is the LAW that you can use deadly force to stop a felony in progress. I had my motorcycle stolen in TX, and the cop that did the report, told me that if I ever got another one, and caught someone trying to steal it, I should just shoot them.

grunt
04-04-2007, 09:12 PM
and Fuck very much too.

And what does that mean??

CockySOB
04-04-2007, 09:13 PM

The flag was still on the house when they lit it? Felony arson and attempted murder? Hell yes, if I witnessed an event such as that I'd neutralize them as a threat and see to the safety of the people in the house. And if neutralize means "shoot 'em dead rather than risk anyone [else] getting hurt" so be it.

CockySOB
04-04-2007, 09:13 PM
As I wrote earlier. In some states it is the LAW that you can use deadly force to stop a felony in progress. I had my motorcycle stolen in TX, and the cop that did the report, told me that if I ever got another one, and caught someone trying to steal it, I should just shoot them.

God Bless Texas!

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Just a standard responce to your jackass comment.

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 09:16 PM
The flag was still on the house when they lit it? Felony arson and attempted murder? Hell yes, if I witnessed an event such as that I'd neutralize them as a threat and see to the safety of the people in the house. And if neutralize means "shoot 'em dead rather than risk anyone [else] getting hurt" so be it.

Cocky have you ever seen a flag burn. All the cops had to do was take it down. It wasn't that dangerous. The house was not even on fire or close. If I took a lighter to my flag outside my house and can easily bet you it would not burn much nor spread to the house.

Now if ya see someone trying to light a house on fire of course shooting them may be justified.

grunt
04-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Just a standard responce to your jackass comment.

A standard response? OK...Well, what the hell does it mean? Is English your first language?

grunt
04-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Cocky have you ever seen a flag burn. All the cops had to do was take it down. It wasn't that dangerous. The house was not even on fire. If I took a lighter to my flag outside my house and can easily bet you it would not burn much nor spread to the house.

I'm not willing to chance it. If I ever see anyone trying to burn anything on my house..I don't care if it's with ONE match...I'm going to hit them in the head with my shovel... If I can't get to my pistol fast enough that is.

Nuc
04-04-2007, 09:18 PM

Unfortunately I have to agree with this. People should not go to the States or any other country, to live if they don't agree with the basic principles of that country.

Gunny
04-04-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm not willing to chance it. If I ever see anyone trying to burn anything on my house..I don't care if it's with ONE match...I'm going to hit them in the head with my shovel... If I can't get to my pistol fast enough that is.

No deadlier weapon on earth than a grunt and his e-tool ...errr...rifle.:laugh2:

CockySOB
04-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Cocky have you ever seen a flag burn. All the cops had to do was take it down. It wasn't that dangerous. The house was not even on fire or close. If I took a lighter to my flag outside my house and can easily bet you it would not burn much nor spread to the house.

Now if ya see someone trying to light a house on fire of course shooting them may be justified.

Was the flag pole attached to the house (angled display pole) or was it on a standard vertical mount set away from the house? If it was attached to the house, then it would be a VERY real fire risk, and you can feel free to discuss the issue with anyone from your own local fire department. If the pole was set a distance away from the house according to the local codes and ordinances, then it being on fire would not be as direct a threat to the house and those in it.

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 09:23 PM
They should just start making flags on fire proof fabric then we wouldn't have this prob.

grunt
04-04-2007, 09:25 PM
No deadlier weapon on earth than a grunt and his e-tool ...errr...rifle.:laugh2:

My SgtMaj in Iwakuni, Japan had three confirmed kills in Vietnam with his e-tool. :salute:

grunt
04-04-2007, 09:26 PM
They should just start making flags on fire proof fabric then we wouldn't have this prob.

Still wouldn't have saved these bastards if they tried this shit at my house.

CockySOB
04-04-2007, 09:27 PM

Irrelevant. You are ignoring the underlying crimes of criminal trespass (to private property), vandalism, destruction of public property, and the potential for reckless endangerment, arson and manslaughter/murder (depending on contributory factors).

Treat the problem, not a symptom. Making the flags of a fire-resistant material is treating a symptom. Why not prosecute the crimes which are committed?

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Still wouldn't have saved these bastards if they tried this shit at my house.

Yeah I know. You wana kill some college kids for not acting so smart. Like I said immoral crap.

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Why not prosecute the crimes which are committed?
Prosecute them all day long. They should go to jail. I'm only arguing the logic behind shooting them when they would have probably just ran off if anyone came out from that house.

Gaffer
04-04-2007, 09:30 PM
My SgtMaj in Iwakuni, Japan had three confirmed kills in Vietnam with his e-tool. :salute:

yeppers e-tools were were very versital.

Gunny
04-04-2007, 09:31 PM

A SgtMaj? He was probably showing off.:laugh2:

CockySOB
04-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Yeah I know. You wana kill some college kids for not acting so smart. Like I said immoral crap.

And you're getting bogged down in defending an act which was wholly indefensible. Remember the underlying crimes those "college kids" committed, and then consider how a judge would most likely consider their actions as mitigating factors in their victims' response.

Stupidity kills. And it usually kills the person who did the stupid thing in the first place.

Gunny
04-04-2007, 09:33 PM

When not acting so smart constitutes potentially burning down my house and killing my wife, me and destroying all my possessions? You're right, they're going down.

I'll have the same respect for their lives they're having mine, my wife's, and everything we've worked for since long before they were born.

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 09:34 PM
And []you're getting bogged down in defending an act which was wholly indefensible. Remember the underlying crimes those "college kids" committed, and then consider how a judge would most likely consider their actions as mitigating factors in their victims' response.

Stupidity kills. And it usually kills the person who did the stupid thing in the first place.
Not defending the act. Stating my view on what is a logical responce to such a crime.

Stupidity kills sure. So do stupid people with guns who would shoot first without considering the situation at hand.

Gunny
And you're getting bogged down in defending an act which was wholly indefensible. Remember the underlying crimes those "college kids" committed, and then consider how a judge would most likely consider their actions as mitigating factors in their victims' response.

:clap:

LiberalNation
When not acting so smart constitutes potentially burning down my house and killing my wife, me and destroying all my possessions? You're right, they're going down.

I'll have the same respect for their lives they're having mine, my wife's, and everything we've worked for since long before they were born.

The flag was fire proof in that situation.

Gunny
04-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Not defending the act. Stating my view on what is a logical responce to such a crime.

Stupidity kills sure. So do stupid people with guns who would shoot first without considering the situation at hand.

The situation is quite clear, and so are the possible consequences. Nothing stupid about it. It is a logical response to a threat to my and my wife's lives.

Gunny
04-04-2007, 09:36 PM

After-the-fact information, and irrelvant to the situation while it is actually occuring.

grunt
04-04-2007, 09:38 PM
A SgtMaj? He was probably showing off.:laugh2:

Yeah....He was a mean SOB...great man though. My WO and SNCO told us. They could have been lying, but I doubt it. :salute: :coffee:

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 09:39 PM
After-the-fact information, and irrelvant to the situation while it is actually occuring.
Not in the situation I proposed. The flags is fire proof, you know it is, Grunt said he would still shoot knowing this. Not justifiable.

grunt
04-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Not in the situation I proposed. The flags fire proof, you know it is, Grunt said he would still shoot knowing this. Not justifiable.

First of all, any dumbass who comes onto my property with the intent to burn anything..I don't care if he thinks he's going to set my underground cement pool on fire... :laugh2: ..I'm going to beat him bloody..and if it's three of them...they are going to get shot. Period.

CockySOB
04-04-2007, 09:43 PM

Irrelevant. LN, you're grasping at straws to try to justify the kids committing a number of misdemeanor and felony crimes. the faact of the matter is that they were conducting themselves criminally, and they deserve to be punished to the full extent of the law. And if their intended victims were perceived to be in danger, shoot the little bastards and eliminate the threat.

Don't be dense, child.

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Not being dense but not gona say I think shooting them is okay either. I don't think it is.

Gunny
04-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Yeah....He was a mean SOB...great man though. My WO and SNCO told us. They could have been lying, but I doubt it. :salute: :coffee:

Usually a lie like that will be a first-hand account, not second hand from multiple sources. When I enlisted, almost all of the SNCO's were Vietnam vets. I heard some wild tales, and I saw some wild people. Damned good Marines though.

CockySOB
04-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Not being dense but not gona say I think shooting them is okay either. I don't think it is.

That's fine. Shooting them should only be undertaken if they present themselves as a threat.

Run away, rather than injure. Injure, rather than maim. Maim, rather than kill. Kill, only as a last resort.

That being said, unless a person has significant firearms training, they better aim for center mass and leave "winging the criminal" to Hollywood.

Gunny
04-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Not in the situation I proposed. The flags is fire proof, you know it is, Grunt said he would still shoot knowing this. Not justifiable.

You're trying to introduce arbitrary paramaters into the situation that suits your argument; when, in reality, that parameter did not exist.

If I KNEW the flag was fireproof, I'd take a Louiseville Slugger I keep in the garage after them. If they stay around to get their asses kicked, stupid mistake #2.

Gunny
04-04-2007, 09:49 PM
That's fine. Shooting them should only be undertaken if they present themselves as a threat.

Run away, rather than injure. Injure, rather than maim. Maim, rather than kill. Kill, only as a last resort.

That being said, unless a person has significant firearms training, they better aim for center mass and leave "winging the criminal" to Hollywood.

You mean there's something other than a headshot?:cheers2:

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 09:49 PM
If I KNEW the flag was fireproof, I'd take a Louiseville Slugger I keep in the garage after them. If they stay around to get their asses kicked, stupid mistake #2.
and that might be a acceptable responce but killing them no, not if you knew that flag wasn't burning and wasn't a threat.

Gunny
04-04-2007, 09:52 PM
and that might be a acceptable responce but killing them no, not if you knew that flag wasn't burning and wasn't a threat.

Again, two different situations, the latter being an arbitrary, hypothetical situation introduced by you attempting to twist the argument in your favor.

The fact is, neither of my flags are fireproof that I know of, and if I ever see someone trying to light one of them, I'm going to see images of my house ablaze and I'm getting a gun.

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 09:55 PM
and will hopefully come out so they can see you and run off before you kill somebodies loved one. For holding a lighter to your flag.

As for twisting the debate. What twist, my hypothetical was see if Grunt was worried about his house burning down or just pissed that someone would try to burn his flag. Pissed enough to kill them for it.

CockySOB
04-04-2007, 09:59 PM
and will hopefully come out so they can see you and run off before you kill somebodies loved one. For holding a lighter to your flag.

As for twisting the debate. What twist, my hypothetical was see if Grunt was worried about his house burning down or just pissed that someone would try to burn his flag. Pissed enough to kill them for it.

LN, you're being dense and stubborn. Perhaps one day when you're responsible for your own home and its maintenance/upkeep, you'll have a better understanding of just how dangerous what these kids did was. :bang3:

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Dangerous sure, worth killing someone if your house wasn't on fire, no.

Okay I'll just be dense then, already stubborn, always have been.

CockySOB
04-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Okay I'll just be dense then, already stubborn, always have been.

<snicker>No shit?! :laugh2:

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 10:09 PM
lol