PDA

View Full Version : Holiday questions

Abbey Marie
04-04-2007, 04:35 PM
With Easter coming, I was wondering about a couple of 'social' questions.

When you are hosting the dinner:

1. Do you, if possible, invite both your parents and your spouses/sig. other's parents for holiday meals? Or do you feel like worlds will collide if you do that?

2. Do you invite everyone you've ever known over for the next few days, since the house is finally really clean anyway?

:)

darin
04-04-2007, 04:39 PM

1. Do you, if possible, invite both your parents and your spouses/sig. other's parents for holiday meals? Or do you feel like worlds will collide if you do that?

2. Do you invite everyone you've ever known over for the next few days, since the house is finally really clean anyway?

I'd invite my Dad and Step Mom, and My wife's folks, or my Mom and Stepdad and my wife's folks...but never my Mom AND Dad...

We'd invite those we can afford to feed.

:D

manu1959
04-04-2007, 04:41 PM
sunday breakfast after church....kids and the wife

Mr. P
04-04-2007, 04:48 PM

1. Neither.
2. No.

Enjoy 'your family' meal and avoid a family war. :)

Nienna
04-04-2007, 05:57 PM
We don't invite. We usually get invited. :)

Mr. P
04-04-2007, 06:08 PM
A Son is a Son until he takes a wife.
A Daughter is a Daughter for the rest of her life.

So true but, Gawd that causes so much conflict at Holidays!

Abbey Marie
04-05-2007, 10:29 AM
A Son is a Son until he takes a wife.
A Daughter is a Daughter for the rest of her life.

So true but, Gawd that causes so much conflict at Holidays!

That is true!

For us, it's more like our families are sooo different, they just don't "get" each other. My family is mostly Italian-blooded, excitable, and loves to talk politics, and his is 100% of English-descent, and, well, quiet. I feel like the narrator in bizarro-land when they are all together. Worlds colliding!!!

Mr. P
04-05-2007, 12:26 PM
That is true!

For us, it's more like our families are sooo different, they just don't "get" each other. My family is mostly Italian-blooded, excitable, and loves to talk politics, and his is 100% of English-descent, and, well, quiet. I feel like the narrator in bizarro-land when they are all together. Worlds colliding!!!

That sounds exactly like what I had to deal with. Mix Italian and Swed/Norwegian, Republican with yellow dog Democrat. Sheeeeeeh, you couldn't tell if it was a Holiday or a fireworks show! :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
04-05-2007, 12:42 PM
That sounds exactly like what I had to deal with. Mix Italian and Swed/Norwegian, Republican with yellow dog Democrat. Sheeeeeeh, you couldn't tell if it was a Holiday or a fireworks show! :laugh2:

:laugh2: Did you find yourself sitting back, praying for it all to end soon?

Mr. P
04-05-2007, 12:47 PM
:laugh2: Did you find yourself sitting back, praying for it all to end soon?

Oh yea, tis why I tried to never let it happen. It totally screws-up a holiday IMO.

KitchenKitten99
04-05-2007, 01:39 PM
That is true!

Maybe you could get them together, casually toss in a random political name or term and just sit back and watch the show. Or even better, video tape it, and then send it to "Maximum Extreme"... I hear they pay big bucks for good footage like that.

Abbey Marie
04-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Maybe you could get them together, casually toss in a random political name or term and just sit back and watch the show. Or even better, video tape it, and then send it to "Maximum Extreme"... I hear they pay big bucks for good footage like that.

Oh, it's not like that. It's more my family working up a good head of steam, and my in-laws just sitting there looking kind of bewildered.

Trigg
04-05-2007, 04:22 PM

I don't usually mix the families up. My parents are odd, to be really nice about it, and my husbands family is great. I don't like them to see how weird my side is.

Abbey Marie
04-05-2007, 04:25 PM
I don't usually mix the families up. My parents are odd, to be really nice about it, and my husbands family is great. I don't like them to see how weird my side is.

That's a great way to describe how I feel, too!

Trigg
04-05-2007, 04:30 PM
That's a great way to describe how I feel, too!

Sometimes I think I must have been adopted. :laugh2:

Thank goodness 2 of my sisters are normal.

krisy
04-06-2007, 01:49 PM
abbey,I can see your dilema. Maybe take turns having each family at your house for different holidays.

The Christmas before last we had my family over,along with gaffer,Kev's sister and her husband and kids,and Kev's mom(who is not married to gaff anymore). I thought it went quite well. We had a lot of fun.

Poltics usually come up at these things,but luckily both families are conservative,except for Kevin's mom,who doesn't want to discuss poltics with us because she gets ganged up on by everyone!!