PDA

View Full Version : 10 terms not to use with Muslims

-Cp
04-01-2009, 01:48 AM
http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0328/p09s01-coop.html

http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0328/p09s01-coop.html

Reasonable fair use:

from the March 28, 2009 edition - http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0328/p09s01-coop.html
10 terms not to use with Muslims
There's a big difference between what we say and what they hear.

By Chris Seiple

ARLINGTON, VA.
In the course of my travels – from the Middle East to Central Asia to Southeast Asia – it has been my great privilege to meet and become friends with many devout Muslims. These friendships are defined by frank respect as we listen to each other; understand and agree on the what, why, and how of our disagreements, political and theological; and, most of all, deepen our points of commonality as a result.

I have learned much from my Muslim friends, foremost this: Political disagreements come and go, but genuine respect for each other, rooted in our respective faith traditions, does not. If there is no respect, there is no relationship, merely a transactional encounter that serves no one in the long term.

As President Obama considers his first speech in a Muslim majority country (he visits Turkey April 6-7), and as the US national security establishment reviews its foreign policy and public diplomacy, I want to share the advice given to me from dear Muslim friends worldwide regarding words and concepts that are not useful in building relationships with them. Obviously, we are not going to throw out all of these terms, nor should we. But we do need to be very careful about how we use them, and in what context.

1. "The Clash of Civilizations." Invariably, this kind of discussion ends up with us as the good guy and them as the bad guy. There is no clash of civilizations, only a clash between those who are for civilization, and those who are against it. Civilization has many characteristics but two are foundational: 1) It has no place for those who encourage, invite, and/or commit the murder of innocent civilians; and 2) It is defined by institutions that protect and promote both the minority and the transparent rule of law.

2. "Secular." The Muslim ear tends to hear "godless" with the pronunciation of this word. And a godless society is simply inconceivable to the vast majority of Muslims worldwide. Pluralism – which encourages those with (and those without) a God-based worldview to have a welcomed and equal place in the public square – is a much better word.

Rest at site.

Trigg
04-01-2009, 06:29 PM
I hear durka durka is ok, but not Mohammad, Mohammad, jihad, jihad.

If anyone gets the reference I feel sorry for you. I had to sit through that idiotic movie with hubby and monkeybone.

emmett
04-01-2009, 07:07 PM
1. Mr. Abdullah..... would you like your Pork Chops breaded?

2. Do you always dry your hair that way?

3. In closing mr. Hezbollah, do you and your wife enjoy different positions?

4. Yes Mr. Obsudamann, would you like the new Coleman catalog so you can houseshop?

5. Sir, would you like to check your wife in at the baggage counter?

6. Your son is so cute, and think he will one day grow into a full "blown" man!

7. Is there such a thing as 2% camel milk?

8. Ah...Mr. Douchebowla, you have a beautiful cave here.

9. No Abdul, circumcision does not mean eight guys blowing themselves up in a precise circle.

10. Would you like to fly the plane?

Psychoblues
04-24-2009, 03:21 AM
Sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me, fella's!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I offer anyone some truth in substance?!?!??!??!?????!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues