PDA

View Full Version : Feds seek to toss Sen. Stevens conviction

Yurt
04-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Feds seek to reverse Ted Stevens' conviction

WASHINGTON – The Justice Department asked a judge Wednesday to toss out the corruption conviction of former Sen. Ted Stevens because prosecutors withheld evidence from his defense team during his trial.

The department is abandoning a hard-fought victory that had turned into an embarrassment. The prosecutors who handled the trial have been removed from the case and their conduct is under investigation.

A week after his conviction, Stevens lost his Senate seat in the November election. The patriarch of Alaska politics since before statehood, Stevens, 85, also was the longest serving Republican senator.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090401/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/stevens_justice;_ylt=AoirClic0D3r5Z0.JD3uJeYEtbAF

good, withholding evidence is a major violation of rights....for all we know stevens might be entirely innocent...

Kathianne
04-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Feds seek to reverse Ted Stevens' conviction

WASHINGTON – The Justice Department asked a judge Wednesday to toss out the corruption conviction of former Sen. Ted Stevens because prosecutors withheld evidence from his defense team during his trial.

The department is abandoning a hard-fought victory that had turned into an embarrassment. The prosecutors who handled the trial have been removed from the case and their conduct is under investigation.

A week after his conviction, Stevens lost his Senate seat in the November election. The patriarch of Alaska politics since before statehood, Stevens, 85, also was the longest serving Republican senator.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090401/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/stevens_justice;_ylt=AoirClic0D3r5Z0.JD3uJeYEtbAF

good, withholding evidence is a major violation of rights....for all we know stevens might be entirely innocent...

About as much as Bill Ayers, but same logic for why he'll get off. Prosecutors cannot be allowed to trample on people's rights, even if they feel justified.

04-01-2009, 03:16 PM
how convenient. Withhold evidence, Find him guilty prior to the election. And then have it thrown out after he is out of office.

Looks like they accomplished what they wanted.

Silver
04-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Political witchhunt from day one...same thing with Sarah Palin....
The Democrats are masters of slime politics and character assassination....and with collaboration from the msm have great success with it...

Pick the target.....personalize it.....attack.....Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck, Hannity, O'Reilly, even Cloin Powell.

Its been shown over and over....
And these same pinheads will still to this very day defend Bill Clinton even tough he confessed to lying under oath....
Will still call Bush a liar even when shown that he only repeated what Democrats were saying since 1996
The examples are extensive....

Joe Steel
04-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Political witchhunt from day one...same thing with Sarah Palin....

The Democrats are masters of slime politics and character assassination....and with collaboration from the msm have great success with it...

Do you realize Stevens was convicted by a Republican-controlled Justice Department and a Democratic-controlled Justice Department wants his conviction overturned?

Stevens' attorneys praised Attorney General Eric Holder as "a pillar of integrity" for his decision to disregard a jury verdict that they said was obtained unlawfully.

Kathianne
04-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Do you realize Stevens was convicted by a Republican-controlled Justice Department and a Democratic-controlled Justice Department wants his conviction overturned?

My previous point made my opinion clear, with that said, why would Holder let him off?

Classact
04-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Do you realize Stevens was convicted by a Republican-controlled Justice Department and a Democratic-controlled Justice Department wants his conviction overturned?The word on the street is that Stevens, has stated that if he were found guilty he would deliver dozens of US Senators on equal charges... it seems he has all the dirt on the demwits and can back it up.

Joe Steel
04-01-2009, 07:14 PM
My previous point made my opinion clear, with that said, why would Holder let him off?

He was prosecuted by Republicans. That in itself is cause for reasonable doubt.

Joe Steel
04-01-2009, 07:15 PM
The word on the street is that Stevens, has stated that if he were found guilty he would deliver dozens of US Senators on equal charges... it seems he has all the dirt on the demwits and can back it up.

Just talk.

Kathianne
04-01-2009, 07:16 PM
He was prosecuted by Republicans. That in itself is cause for reasonable doubt.

So you are saying the Republicans prosecuted him unfairly?

Joe Steel
04-01-2009, 07:24 PM
So you are saying the Republicans prosecuted him unfairly?

Frankly, I think he did it and he is a Republican but he still should receive fair process. Apparently he didn't so Holder is backing-off. Maybe it's the Democratic sense of honor and duty to the Constitution.

Nice change, isn't it.

Kathianne
04-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Frankly, I think he did it and he is a Republican but he still should receive fair process. Apparently he didn't so Holder is backing-off. Maybe it's the Democratic sense of honor and duty to the Constitution.

Nice change, isn't it.

Right, that's it. Not. You know as well as I. Problem for Dems, don't think he was worth saving. LOL!