PDA

View Full Version : Has Pelosi Gone Bonkers?

stephanie
04-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Pelosi is an IDIOT...I hope she is shunned and scorned for pulling this stunt...

Has Pelosi Gone Bonkers?
Farid Ghadry
Apr 04, 2007 at 07:23 AM
Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi was seen roaming the streets of Damascus flaunting a Hijab. The Hijab worn by women across the Muslim world has come to symbolize either one of three things: 1) a symbol that men control women by forcing piety, or 2) a return to religiosity because of oppressive rulers, or 3) a fashion statement. If you ask any expert on the Middle East, you would get any one of three answers. The ones who usually claim it is a fashion statement are the political rulers who usually oppress people in general. A Hijab is NOT a confirmation of the rights of women in the Middle East but rather a symbol of their suppression.

As a Muslim, I fully understand respect of our religion by visiting US officials and I applaud that respect. Had Speaker Pelosi worn the Hijab inside a Mosque, this would have indicated respect but for Pelosi to wear it on the streets of Damascus all the while she is sitting with the self-imposed Baschar al-Assad who has come to symbolize oppression and one of the reasons why women are forced to wear the Hijab as they turn to religion to express their freedom is a statement of submittal not only to oppression but also to lack of women's rights in the Middle East. Pelosi just reversed the work of the Syrian civil society and those who aspire for women's freedom in the Muslim countries many years back with her visual statement. Her lack of experience of the Middle East is showing.

Assad could not have been happier because Syrian women, seeing a US official confirming what their husbands, the Imams in the Mosques tell them, and the society at large imposes on them through peer pressure will see in her wearing a Hijab as a confirmation of the societal pressures they are constantly under. No one will ever know how many women took the Hijab on after seeing Pelosi wearing it. The damage Speaker Pelosi is causing with her visit to Syria will be felt for many years to come.
http://www.reformsyria.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=282&Itemid=66

Nienna
04-04-2007, 07:23 PM
To answer your question, Steph... No, she hasn't gone bonkers. She was already there.

:)

stephanie
04-04-2007, 07:29 PM
To answer your question, Steph... No, she hasn't gone bonkers. She was already there.

:)

I already knew that, too..
But that really was the title of the article...:laugh2:

Mr. P
04-04-2007, 07:29 PM
No not bonkers, it’s a political coup d'état. She wants to be the Pres for the next 2 years.

She should be run out of the Country for this. IMO

stephanie
04-04-2007, 07:34 PM
No not bonkers, it’s a political coup d'état. She wants to be the Pres for the next 2 years.

She should be run out of the Country for this. IMO

I agree Mr. P...
She's starting to receive some backlash from this..
Now we'll see how the American media deals with it...I won't hold my breath..

Gunny
04-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Pelosi is an IDIOT...I hope she is shunned and scorned for pulling this stunt...

Has Pelosi Gone Bonkers?
Farid Ghadry
Apr 04, 2007 at 07:23 AM
Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi was seen roaming the streets of Damascus flaunting a Hijab. The Hijab worn by women across the Muslim world has come to symbolize either one of three things: 1) a symbol that men control women by forcing piety, or 2) a return to religiosity because of oppressive rulers, or 3) a fashion statement. If you ask any expert on the Middle East, you would get any one of three answers. The ones who usually claim it is a fashion statement are the political rulers who usually oppress people in general. A Hijab is NOT a confirmation of the rights of women in the Middle East but rather a symbol of their suppression.

As a Muslim, I fully understand respect of our religion by visiting US officials and I applaud that respect. Had Speaker Pelosi worn the Hijab inside a Mosque, this would have indicated respect but for Pelosi to wear it on the streets of Damascus all the while she is sitting with the self-imposed Baschar al-Assad who has come to symbolize oppression and one of the reasons why women are forced to wear the Hijab as they turn to religion to express their freedom is a statement of submittal not only to oppression but also to lack of women's rights in the Middle East. Pelosi just reversed the work of the Syrian civil society and those who aspire for women's freedom in the Muslim countries many years back with her visual statement. Her lack of experience of the Middle East is showing.

Assad could not have been happier because Syrian women, seeing a US official confirming what their husbands, the Imams in the Mosques tell them, and the society at large imposes on them through peer pressure will see in her wearing a Hijab as a confirmation of the societal pressures they are constantly under. No one will ever know how many women took the Hijab on after seeing Pelosi wearing it. The damage Speaker Pelosi is causing with her visit to Syria will be felt for many years to come.
http://www.reformsyria.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=282&Itemid=66

What a shock. Pelosi identifying with values that fly directly the face of those vales she was elected to supposedly represent.

lily
04-04-2007, 07:48 PM
A representive of our country, goes to another country and respects their culture! Imagine that!

You people do realize that female soldiers and reporters also do this, don't you?

04-04-2007, 08:12 PM
I dont think she has gone bonkers.. if she was crazy i wouldnt be as worried.

Gunny
04-04-2007, 08:15 PM
A representive of our country, goes to another country and respects their culture! Imagine that!

You people do realize that female soldiers and reporters also do this, don't you?

Bullshit. Donning the religious garb that signifies second-class citizenship for women worldwide is hardly "respecting their culture."

Since when were we about respecting inequality?

04-04-2007, 08:18 PM

So if we visit a people that do ritual human sacrifice we should respect their culture and offer them a virgin to sacrifice?

Kathianne
04-04-2007, 08:27 PM

and you do realize that we allow 'visitors' here and 'long term visitors' here to gain id's with that same garb? We kowtow to them, yet they claim being disrespected from us?

Gaffer
04-04-2007, 08:54 PM

do you have your hajib? your on this board talking to men like your their equal. nancy has already shown you that your not. Now get your hajib on and speak only when spoken too.

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Laura Bush wore one on her trip to the ME. Ya'll weren't saying anything then.

Kathianne
04-04-2007, 09:01 PM

Israel is not the same as Syria. One involves kowtowing, the other respect. In case you are not clear, Israel=respect.

Mr. P
04-04-2007, 09:03 PM
do you have your hajib? your on this board talking to men like your their equal. nancy has already shown you that your not. Now get your hajib on and speak only when spoken too.

:laugh2: :clap:

CockySOB
04-04-2007, 09:07 PM

I agree with you pretty much on this. However, I think it was inappropriate for Pelosi to make the trip in any form of "official capacity." But that's another story.

lily
04-04-2007, 09:22 PM
So if we visit a people that do ritual human sacrifice we should respect their culture and offer them a virgin to sacrifice?

Tell you what..........if that ever happens, get back to me, ok?:lame2:

lily
04-04-2007, 09:23 PM
I agree with you pretty much on this. However, I think it was inappropriate for Pelosi to make the trip in any form of "official capacity." But that's another story.

Cocky! A voice of sanity amid the insults. You are aware that Republican senators went also, aren't you?

lily
04-04-2007, 09:24 PM
and you do realize that we allow 'visitors' here and 'long term visitors' here to gain id's with that same garb? We kowtow to them, yet they claim being disrespected from us?

Um......yes......it's called religious tolerance.......and?

lily
04-04-2007, 09:25 PM

LN......don't go throwing logic into this! :clap:

CockySOB
04-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Cocky! A voice of sanity amid the insults. You are aware that Republican senators went also, aren't you?

Yup, and it was inappropriate for them to go too.

lily
04-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Yup, and it was inappropriate for them to go too.

How odd.......now we don't have anything to argue about or call each other names over.

CockySOB
04-04-2007, 09:35 PM
How odd.......now we don't have anything to argue about or call each other names over.
Just don't try to positive-rep me, OK? The neighbors would talk....

CockySOB
04-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Dammit, Lily! Discretion is the better part... oh, never mind....

Kathianne
04-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Um......yes......it's called religious tolerance.......and?

right, that's what we call it. Then when Iran captures our pawns, they should be paraded in Islamic garb? You are cool with that?

stephanie
04-04-2007, 09:49 PM
The thing about Pelosi going......Is she is third in line to become President..

She's snubbing her nose at our President and his foreign policy..

But at least all the terrorist groups gave her a lot of praise..

She's despicable and is being used to divide our country..:pee:

What a witch..

Kathianne
04-04-2007, 09:51 PM
The thing about Pelosi going......Is she is third in line to become President..

But at least all the terrorist groups gave her a lot of praise..

What a witch..

Isn't she right behind the VP? I'll look.

lily
04-04-2007, 09:56 PM
right, that's what we call it. Then when Iran captures our pawns, they should be paraded in Islamic garb? You are cool with that?

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!! They captured Nancy Pelosi??!!!!!!!

Kathianne
04-04-2007, 09:58 PM

Thanks for proving the point. Either you are clueless to the news or don't care. Either way, fuktard.

Gunny
04-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Tell you what..........if that ever happens, get back to me, ok?:lame2:

Lame is you defending Pelosi wearing religious garb that represents a religion she is not part of, and represents second-class citizenship for women.

If Pelosi was condemning Sharia Law, you'd be all indignant for the poor women who suffer that fate. However, since she is doing it to show support for a religion that is intolerant of Christianity, you're all for it.

Gunny
04-04-2007, 09:59 PM

It's too bad they don't take her hostage, but then, that would be screwing with an ally, wouldn't it?

lily
04-04-2007, 10:00 PM

You usually seem to be sane and rational. Can I get you to explain how she is doing this (keeping in mind that Republicans also went), without insults please?

Gaffer
04-04-2007, 10:01 PM

yes she is. But she thinks she ahead of Bush now.

Gaffer
04-04-2007, 10:02 PM

If we could only be so lucky.

Kathianne
04-04-2007, 10:03 PM

Found:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0101032.html

Prior to the ratification of the 25th Amendment in 1967, there was no provision for filling a vacancy in the vice presidency. When a president died in office, the vice president succeeded him, and the vice presidency then remained vacant. The first vice president to take office under the new procedure was Gerald Ford, who was nominated by Nixon on Oct. 12, 1973, and confirmed by Congress the following Dec. 6.

* The Vice President Dick Cheney
* Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi
* President pro tempore of the Senate1 Robert Byrd
* Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
* Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson
* Secretary of Defense Robert Gates
* Attorney General Alberto Gonzales
* Secretary of the Interior Dirk Kempthorne
* Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns
* Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez2
* Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao3
* Secretary of Health and Human Services Mike Leavitt
* Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Alphonso Jackson
* Secretary of Transportation Mary E. Peters
* Secretary of Energy Samuel Bodman
* Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings
* Secretary of Veterans Affairs Jim Nicholson
* Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff

stephanie
04-04-2007, 10:04 PM
You usually seem to be sane and rational. Can I get you to explain how she is doing this (keeping in mind that Republicans also went), without insults please?

The Republicans aren't in line to BECOME OUR President..

She's showing the terrorist she has no respect for President Bush, and she's showing our allies that the Democrats in our country are unreliable..

CockySOB
04-04-2007, 10:06 PM
BTW, the term is "hijab" not "hajib."

Carry on.

lily
04-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks for proving the point. Either you are clueless to the news or don't care. Either way, fuktard.

Fuktard.........that's the best you've got? Hey I'm not the one that said
Originally Posted by Kathianne
in a thread about Nancy Pelosi........You're the one making a fool of yourself, trying to get the insults in fast enough.

stephanie
04-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Found:

Oh man........That's even scarier...I felt safer with her in third..

Kat because of you, I'm gonna have nightmares tonight...

:thumb:

Kathianne
04-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Fuktard.........that's the best you've got? Hey I'm not the one that said
in a thread about Nancy Pelosi........You're the one making a fool of yourself, trying to get the insults in fast enough.

You however seem clueless between the difference between Nancy Pelosi and the British sailors and marines. No surprise.

lily
04-04-2007, 10:11 PM
The Republicans aren't in line to BECOME OUR President..

So, let me see if I have this right.......since she's speaker of the house, she can't go to Syria, but any other senator can.......is that what you're trying to tell me?

She's showing the terrorist she has no respect for President Bush, and she's showing our allies that the Democrats in our country are unreliable..

No offense......but I don't think they need her to do that. According to everyone here, they seem to know all about us.......at least that's what the Republicans were saying during the elections.

lily
04-04-2007, 10:13 PM
You however seem clueless between the difference between Nancy Pelosi and the British sailors and marines. No surprise.

Then I might suggest that you make your comment in that thread.

Kathianne
04-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Then I might suggest that you make your comment in that thread.

It was already inferred. Reason for the 'fuktard comment.' Have a nice day.

lily
04-04-2007, 10:17 PM
It was already inferred. Reason for the 'fuktard comment.' Have a nice day.

If you say so. At least you're speaking English now.:clap: We like people to speak English in America.

Gaffer
04-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Found:

Sanctimonious Prick Gaffer

They left one off, but I fixed it.

Gaffer
04-04-2007, 10:58 PM
So, let me see if I have this right.......since she's speaker of the house, she can't go to Syria, but any other senator can.......is that what you're trying to tell me?

No. Since we don't have diplomatic relations with syria she is usurping Bush's athority and doing her own foriegn policy making.

No offense......but I don't think they need her to do that. According to everyone here, they seem to know all about us.......at least that's what the Republicans were saying during the elections.

They watch our news media constantly. And she is showing a divided country as far as they are concerned. It emboldens them to continue what they are already doing and tells them they have the tacit support of the democrats.