PDA

View Full Version : Probably A First, Me On TV Programs

Kathianne
04-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Ok, I've posted a couple times about 24, but that is probably it. I found this (http://www.armchaircommentary.com/2009/04/best-tv-series-finale-ever.html) and thought many of you might be able to weigh in. Lots of links at site:

Best TV series finale ever?
by David Horiuchi on April 01, 2009

I'm clearing up some DVR space for tomorrow's three-hour ER event (a retrospective followed by the two-hour series finale), and wondering what I'm going to experience after 15 years of watching the show. I know it'll be emotional to see the characters again, as it's been throughout this season (it first hit me when they showed the backroom wall with the nameplates on it), but will the episode soar or flop? I'm reminded of other series sign-offs of varying quality:

The good:

M*A*S*H: "Goodbye, Farewell & Amen" (2/28/83, 11 seasons): The cast bids goodbye to the 4077th in still the most-watched television program ever.
Star Trek The Next Generation: "All Good Things..." (5/29/94, seven seasons): Picard jumps through time, with the help of an old nemesis.
Dawson's Creek: "All Good Things... Must Come to an End" (5/14/03, six seasons): A tearful farewell to one of the cast principals.
Cheers: "One for the Road" (5/21/93, 11 seasons): Sam and Diane reunite, and Sam closes the bar. (EDIT: I agree it's probably more accurate to say he turns out the lights. I never said that Sam and Diane end up together, however.)
Six Feet Under: "Everyone's Waiting" (8/21/05, five seasons): I admit I didn't watch this series, but the other day at dinner our waiter proclaimed it as the "best finale ever!" so it makes the list.
The bad:

Seinfeld: "The Finale" (5/14/98, nine seasons): What a mess!
Still has everyone confused:

The Sopranos: "Made in America" (6/10/07, six seasons): strange conclusion to the Journey
Battlestar Galactica: "Daybreak" (3/20/09, four seasons): I guess I liked it, but what about the Starbuck question?
What are some of your memorable series finales from over the years? --David

dan
04-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Six Feet Under had without a doubt my favorite tv finale ever.

hjmick
04-03-2009, 01:05 AM
The best final television episode ever. Period. End of discussion.

OwYw2i2icNg

hjmick
04-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Geez, I was just kidding. Didn't mean to kill the thread. ;)

Mr. P
04-03-2009, 09:22 PM
The last Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Not a TV Program per se but one of the "last shows" I remember for various reasons.

Kathianne
04-04-2009, 04:31 AM
Geez, I was just kidding. Didn't mean to kill the thread. ;)

I liked Bob Newhart, really funny without being 'blue.' Saw him at Linconshire Marriott I think it was, years ago. Very funny one man show.