PDA

View Full Version : Gingrich Warns of 3rd Party Possibility in 2012

Kathianne
04-03-2009, 07:47 AM
I think he's right. Conservatives are sick of what both the GOP and the Democrats have brought about. The tea parties are not all Republicans, not by a long shot. Many moderate Democrats and of course lots of Libertarians:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/04/02/gingrich-warns-of-third-party-in-2012/

Gingrich warns of third party in 2012
Posted: 11:56 AM ET

From CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

The former Republican Speaker discussed 2012 during a recent speech at a Missouri college.

(CNN) — Former House speaker Newt Gingrich is warning of a third party mutiny in 2012 if Republicans don’t figure out a way to shape up.

“If the Republicans can’t break out of being the right wing party of big government, then I think you would see a third party movement in 2012,” Gingrich said Tuesday. The speech, to a group of students at the College of the Ozarks in Missouri, was recorded by Springfield TV station KY3.

But Gingrich, bemoaning President Barack Obama’s “monstrosity of a budget,” acknowledged that Republicans are partially to blame for the escalation in federal spending.

"Remember, everything Obama’s doing, Bush started last year,” he said. “If you’re going to talk about big spending, the mistakes of the Bush administration last year are fully as bad as the mistakes of Obama’s first two, three months.”...

emmett
04-03-2009, 09:22 AM
A Third party will be more prevelant in 2012. I rather think it will not be the LP we know today though. Surprised I would say that? I do because I think the LP will evolve quickly to attract more lefties. An inner struggle for influence will result.

The key to LP success in 2012 is whether Ron Paul will represent the party. He is the true Libertarian voice of America. Even Ron Paul however needs a little tweaking in my opinion. He drew alot of support just now in last election. He made a mistake not to back Bob Barr however.

As long as news like this (Newt), surfaces, its trouble for the GOP. Newt has been a top influence in the party for many years. This could be the umph some need to think more seriously about making a statement that will be heard by Conservatives nationwide.

Kathianne
04-03-2009, 09:29 AM
I don't think it will be any connected with the Libertarian Party, especially not Ron Paul. While many reasonable people may be more libertarian in their thinking, the 'speakers for' the Libertarian Party might as well be the 'neo cons' of the GOP.

Whoa, I'm not talking about their positions, rather their dismissal of other points of view and near worship of their 'vision' of what libertarianism means. Not attractive to gaining new members, which is why they've gone nowhere; nationally, state, or locally. They are not attracting those they need to, but then again, they don't want to.

04-03-2009, 03:30 PM
I was actually thinking about this yesterday. We are having Tea parties around the nation right? Why don't we create the Tea Party. Do a run in the Congressional elections.

Kathianne
04-03-2009, 03:34 PM
I was actually thinking about this yesterday. We are having Tea parties around the nation right? Why don't we create the Tea Party. Do a run in the Congressional elections.

Over 300 of them, here's a site for where and time:

http://taxdayteaparty.com/

Over to the right, click on state.

emmett
04-03-2009, 03:39 PM
I don't think it will be any connected with the Libertarian Party, especially not Ron Paul. While many reasonable people may be more libertarian in their thinking, the 'speakers for' the Libertarian Party might as well be the 'neo cons' of the GOP.

Whoa, I'm not talking about their positions, rather their dismissal of other points of view and near worship of their 'vision' of what libertarianism means. Not attractive to gaining new members, which is why they've gone nowhere; nationally, state, or locally. They are not attracting those they need to, but then again, they don't want to.

Ron Paul, a neo con? Really now!

emmett
04-03-2009, 03:41 PM
What exactly makes Ron Paul a Neo Con? I have to ask. His voting "NO" to bailouts?

5stringJeff
04-03-2009, 06:20 PM

There are pragmatic libertarians and there are ideological libertarians, just as there are pragmatic and ideological conservatives and liberals and statists.

Trigg
04-03-2009, 08:57 PM
What exactly makes Ron Paul a Neo Con? I have to ask. His voting "NO" to bailouts?

Libertarians have a good message, I just don't think Ron Paul was a good messenger for the party.

stephanie
04-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Libertarians have a good message, I just don't think Ron Paul was a good messenger for the party.

well put..I like Ron Paul, but he doesn't get his message across very well..and it makes him look kinda goofy..

Trigg
04-03-2009, 09:06 PM
well put..I like Ron Paul, but he doesn't get his message across very well..and it makes him look kinda goofy..

I was thinking grumpy, but goofy works also.:laugh2:

I'd love to see more than a 2 party system, but the libertarians need to find a new candidate.

Kathianne
04-04-2009, 04:37 AM

You didn't read my post through or I didn't put it correctly. I agree with much of Ron Paul's message, with caveats regarding war. However, the money backing his candidacy quickly turned me off to him. The coverage of such and his excuse making and appearances aimed to those groups, nope, not for me. Just like I wouldn't want to align with the fringers of the GOP, or the Left.

That's why there are so many libertarian leaning Republicans, who'd bolt in a NY second IF their were principled voices from a third party. I posted earlier, Jeff and I've known each other politically since I think 2003, libertarian is something I had little problem as a tag for my thinking. Ron Paul's candidacy however, nope.

eighballsidepocket
04-04-2009, 04:30 PM
There was a time when I abhorred a 3rd party, as it always seemed to reek havoc on the GOP chances of getting into the White House. It happened when GB and Clinton ran against each other, and that third party candidate dragged a lot of conservative/GOP votes away from GB 41.

To a smaller or lesser extent, the Green party candidate has had some impact on the Demo's but not anything like Ross P. did in the GB/Clinton race.
There is however a difference happening. The GOP is becoming so similar to the Demo's in it's big gov. policies, and big deficit spending, and their total disregard for our border problems especially with Mexico.

There are a number of GOP House of Reps. and a few Senators that are still holding onto the true conservative principles, and I think that the American people or middle-ground voters are going to be listening to them more and more.

As we print more and more paper money and inflate our currency, we are just creating a terrible future for our children, and children's children. This country cannot sustain the social medicine plan, nor can be continue to funnel billions more into education every year with continuing lower achievement scores in states like California.

Voucher programs will actually save the American tax payers billions, as the amount of money alloted even in low ranking Califonria to one public school student is far more than it costs to enroll that child in a private school with a government voucher.

I know we have teachers here, and I'm not slamming them, but the large teacher's unions and California's CTA have such strong lobbies in congress, and it is all on the Democratic side of the isle.

We have had in California, propositions in elections to allow California citizens to use that money alloted to educate their children in a public school and use it towards private schooling of their choice. That could be a secular, or religious based school, but there would still have to be certain guidelines, as these private schools would have to meet certain academic standards.

My wife and I opted to run our three sons through private, Christian schooling, and it cost us dearly, as we still paid taxes to our public school entities in our area.

We also did have some very good public schools in our area and our son's did gradually end up finishing their later school years in those schools. Never the less, it is mind boggling to realize how much money the state of California spends on each public school child, yet our states is going down, down, down, in academic ranking overall.

When private school children/students are academically compared to most public school students the differences in their achievement levels is startling. Public school teachers are hamstrung often with curriculum that they themselves would prefer not to use.

Our 6 years old grandson came home from school with an art project that involved what you wish for. He couldn't think of anything so his teacher wrote on his art project, "Bring our troops home.". My son, his dad was infuriated! My son, said to me, "I didn't send my boy to school to be indoctrinated politically.", I sent him there to learn to read, learn arithmetic, etc... Let me pass onto my son what I think about the war!".
:salute:

Kathianne
04-04-2009, 05:02 PM
There was a time when I abhorred a 3rd party, as it always seemed to reek havoc on the GOP chances of getting into the White House. It happened when GB and Clinton ran against each other, and that third party candidate dragged a lot of conservative/GOP votes away from GB 41.

To a smaller or lesser extent, the Green party candidate has had some impact on the Demo's but not anything like Ross P. did in the GB/Clinton race.
There is however a difference happening. The GOP is becoming so similar to the Demo's in it's big gov. policies, and big deficit spending, and their total disregard for our border problems especially with Mexico.

There are a number of GOP House of Reps. and a few Senators that are still holding onto the true conservative principles, and I think that the American people or middle-ground voters are going to be listening to them more and more.

As we print more and more paper money and inflate our currency, we are just creating a terrible future for our children, and children's children. This country cannot sustain the social medicine plan, nor can be continue to funnel billions more into education every year with continuing lower achievement scores in states like California.

Voucher programs will actually save the American tax payers billions, as the amount of money alloted even in low ranking Califonria to one public school student is far more than it costs to enroll that child in a private school with a government voucher.

I know we have teachers here, and I'm not slamming them, but the large teacher's unions and California's CTA have such strong lobbies in congress, and it is all on the Democratic side of the isle.

We have had in California, propositions in elections to allow California citizens to use that money alloted to educate their children in a public school and use it towards private schooling of their choice. That could be a secular, or religious based school, but there would still have to be certain guidelines, as these private schools would have to meet certain academic standards.

My wife and I opted to run our three sons through private, Christian schooling, and it cost us dearly, as we still paid taxes to our public school entities in our area.

We also did have some very good public schools in our area and our son's did gradually end up finishing their later school years in those schools. Never the less, it is mind boggling to realize how much money the state of California spends on each public school child, yet our states is going down, down, down, in academic ranking overall.

When private school children/students are academically compared to most public school students the differences in their achievement levels is startling. Public school teachers are hamstrung often with curriculum that they themselves would prefer not to use.

Our 6 years old grandson came home from school with an art project that involved what you wish for. He couldn't think of anything so his teacher wrote on his art project, "Bring our troops home.". My son, his dad was infuriated! My son, said to me, "I didn't send my boy to school to be indoctrinated politically.", I sent him there to learn to read, learn arithmetic, etc... Let me pass onto my son what I think about the war!".
:salute:

You are singing my song. I'm able/allowed to adjust my curriculum, within the goals/standards of the state, (IL). My curriculum is more coordinated with gifted standards, than called for. Thus my 'average' students qualify for AP courses in HS.