PDA

View Full Version : Obama, Bankers, Pitchforks

Kathianne
04-04-2009, 05:12 AM
Bull rally? We'll see. This gives a serious idea of what the administration thinks of business in general. The answers all lie in government, particularly HIS government:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/20871.html

Inside Obama's bank CEOs meeting
By: Eamon Javers
April 3, 2009 01:00 PM EST

The bankers struggled to make themselves clear to the president of the United States.

Arrayed around a long mahogany table in the White House state dining room last week, the CEOs of the most powerful financial institutions in the world offered several explanations for paying high salaries to their employees — and, by extension, to themselves.

“These are complicated companies,” one CEO said. Offered another: “We’re competing for talent on an international market.”

But President Barack Obama wasn’t in a mood to hear them out. He stopped the conversation and offered a blunt reminder of the public’s reaction to such explanations. “Be careful how you make those statements, gentlemen. The public isn’t buying that.”

“My administration,” the president added, “is the only thing between you and the pitchforks.” ....

Kathianne
04-04-2009, 06:20 AM
I like this response to the above. There are numerous links at site:

http://www.redstate.com/moe_lane/2009/04/03/obama-standing-between-bankers-and-pitchforks-really/

Obama: standing between bankers and pitchforks? *Really*?
Permit me to be the first to call the President's bluff.

But here’s the thing about the ‘pitchforks:’ they’re not being waved around because of the AIG bonuses. We’ve already established that the Democrats’ pet faux-populists tried their level best to gin up some faux-populism (http://moelane.com/2009/03/21/the-great-cwfp-aig-intimidation-run-round-up/) over this issue, and they failed. Miserably. Oh, sure, you got the usual death threats from the Angry Left… but there is an actual populist movement growing out there, and they are a lot more vocal about out-of-control government spending than they are about corporate bonuses. This was actually brought up at the time by the actual populists themselves, but it was unaccountably not covered. Just like the entire Tea Party movement (http://taxdayteaparty.com/) in general, really. You know, the one that’s scheduled its next big series of demonstrations for Income Tax Day… which should tell you everything that you would need to know about the real focus of the actually-expressed outrage of the American people right now.

So, I guess this leads to the next question, Mr. President. You say that there are pitchforks out there, and maybe there are. But are you really standing between them and the bankers?

Or are you trying to get the bankers to stand between them and you?

stephanie
04-04-2009, 06:43 AM
I read this earlier and can only just shake my head, which I seem to be doing a lot of lately..

Kathianne
04-04-2009, 06:51 AM
I read this earlier and can only just shake my head, which I seem to be doing a lot of lately..

Stephanie, I hear you about the head shaking. In the long run though, I'm hoping there is a purging going on within the conservative movement. The tea parties bring some hope and perhaps the possibility of some new talent. At some point there must be a strong response by a loyal opposition. Loyal opposition is not about being loyal to Obama, but loyal to the founding principles. That is what the left never got, it's fine to oppose the President or party in power, but not the country. They ARE separate.

stephanie
04-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Stephanie, I hear you about the head shaking. In the long run though, I'm hoping there is a purging going on within the conservative movement. The tea parties bring some hope and perhaps the possibility of some new talent. At some point there must be a strong response by a loyal opposition. Loyal opposition is not about being loyal to Obama, but loyal to the founding principles. That is what the left never got, it's fine to oppose the President or party in power, but not the country. They ARE separate.

I hear you Kat, you've heard me say that I am sick of BOTH parties and would like to see most run of town. I'm hoping the tea parties grow and grow until our voices are finally heard again. If tea doesn't work, then it might be time for pitchforks, but it sure won't be against " bankers"..what a dumb statement...But what else would we expect..sheesh

Kathianne
04-04-2009, 06:58 AM
I hear you Kat, you've heard me say that I am sick of BOTH parties and would like to see most run of town. I'm hoping the tea parties grow and grow until our voices are finally heard again. If tea doesn't work, then it might be time for pitchforks, but it sure won't be against " bankers"..what a dumb statement...

:beer:

stephanie
04-04-2009, 07:01 AM
:beer:

:dev2: time..

:thumb: