PDA

View Full Version : Surprising Star Explosion Upsets Theory

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 10:30 PM
We're studying stars right now. Wonder why they teach us stuff as fact and make us test over it in science when science especially on this kinda stuff is always changing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/surprisingstarexplosionupsetstheory;_ylt=Are3Qo45Y xDBcJGKDExq6joDW7oF

A recently-observed supernova is making some astrophysicists doubt prevailing theories for how stars die.

The massive star, located in galaxy UGC 4904 about 77 million light-years from Earth in the constellation Lynx, threw off a huge amount of material on October 20, 2004. This star, which may have been what's known as a Luminous Blue Variable (LBV), was mistaken for a supernova, as LBV's often are. In fact, some observers refer to them as "supernova imposters."

Then, in the fall of 2006, the star exploded into a full supernova, much sooner than expected. Dubbed Supernova 2006jc, the dying star's blast wave apparently reached the shell of drifting material released in the earlier outburst in mere hours.

The wave heated the ejected gases to millions of degrees, sparking X-ray emissions of an intensity and duration never before detected. NASA's Swift satellite recorded X-rays brightening from the supernova for an unprecedented 100 days. All previously observed supernovae have initially appeared bright in X-rays before quickly turning invisible.

"We have never observed a stellar outburst and then later seen the star explode," said University of California at Berkeley astronomer Ryan Foley.

Using the 10-meter (32.8-foot) Keck telescope in Hawaii, his group observed narrow helium spectral lines that showed that the supernova's blast wave ran into a slow-moving shell of material, presumed to be the upper layers of the star ejected two years earlier. Had the supernova's fast-moving blast wave been measured unobstructed, its spectral lines would have been much broader.

"It disrupts our current model of stellar evolution," Foley said. "We really don't know what caused this star to have such a large eruption so soon before it went supernova."

Foley's colleague, Nathan Smith, also of the University of California at Berkeley, said, "The fact that we have no well-established theory for what actually causes these outbursts is the elephant in the living room that nobody is talking about."

The supernova, classified as a variant of a Type Ib, was first sighted by Japanese amateur astronomer Koichi Itagaki, American amateur astronomer Tim Puckett and Italian amateur Roberto Gorelli.

grunt
04-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Just like "Man Made" global warming....

Gaffer
04-04-2007, 11:37 PM
I don't know what she posted as I have her on ignore but it must have been Bush's fault.

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Ignore hu, then don't respond to threads you know nothing about and make yourself look like an ass.

and fuck you, you piece of shit moron, you can't see this.

LiberalNation
04-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Just like "Man Made" global warming....
The way they tought, seems like there is a lot of evidence for this theory and yest global warmings tought as fact. We got to watch the Al Gore movie over it and everything.

grunt
04-05-2007, 12:26 AM
The way they tought, seems like there is a lot of evidence for this theory and yest global warmings tought as fact. We got to watch the Al Gore movie over it and everything.

What?

manu1959
04-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Ignore hu, then don't respond to threads you know nothing about and make yourself look like an ass.

and fuck you, you piece of shit moron, you can't see this.

what an inapropriate response

darin
04-05-2007, 10:21 AM
The massive star, located in galaxy UGC 4904 about 77 million light-years from Earth in the constellation Lynx, threw off a huge amount of material on October 20, 2004. T

What they are really saying is they've looked back in Time. That star, if it's REALLY 77 MILLION light-years away, actually blew up 77 Million years ago, and we're seeing it only now.

The ClayTaurus
04-05-2007, 10:21 AM
what an inapropriate responseI dunno; if you have someone on ignore yet respond to them anyways, I think it's pretty stupid.

LiberalNation
04-05-2007, 11:35 AM
I think it's pretty stupid when people follow you around saying they have you on ignore.

As for the responce. What, not like he could see it before someone quoted me.

CockySOB
04-05-2007, 11:53 AM
I think it's pretty stupid when people follow you around saying they have you on ignore.

Gotta agree with that.

Abbey Marie
04-05-2007, 12:37 PM

LN, science class will do that to you. My daughter just sat through the Gore guessumentary in class, and hated being forced to do so. She told me she was proud up until that day to say she never saw it. Love her!

They went from the theory of global warming to the theory of evolution. To her teacher's credit, she intro'ed the evolution unit by telling the kids it is a theory, but it must be studied.

Nienna
04-05-2007, 01:00 PM
What they are really saying is they've looked back in Time. That star, if it's REALLY 77 MILLION light-years away, actually blew up 77 Million years ago, and we're seeing it only now.

Actually, gravity affects the speed of light. So, no telling HOW far away it actually is/was, or when it blew up. :)

darin
04-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Actually, gravity affects the speed of light. So, no telling HOW far away it actually is/was, or when it blew up. :)

Great point! :)

Abbey Marie
04-05-2007, 02:33 PM

Smart woman! :clap:

Gaffer
04-05-2007, 02:57 PM

Actually it doesn't affect the speed, just the direction. The speed remains constant.

Abbey Marie
04-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Actually it doesn't affect the speed, just the direction. The speed remains constant.

Smart man!

(I really need to learn more about astronomy)

The ClayTaurus
04-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Actually it doesn't affect the speed, just the direction. The speed remains constant.(use the word velocity next time, Nienna :))

darin
04-05-2007, 03:04 PM

Indirectly, then, gravity could affect how long it takes us to SEE Light, if the light is taking a longer path (due to the influence of gravity), no?

Nienna
04-05-2007, 03:33 PM

Nope, speed. Google CDK (c-decay). :)

Missileman
04-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Nope, speed. Google CDK (c-decay). :)

Request complied with, and I came up with these:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/c-decay.html

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/hovind/howgood-c14.html

http://homepage.mac.com/cygnusx1/cdecay/index.html

http://www.huecotanks.com/debunk/cdecay.htm

Not that you'll believe a single thing in any of them, but Setterfield's hypothesis has been totally dismissed, even by the Institute for Creation Research...go figure!

Dilloduck
04-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Request complied with, and I came up with these:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/c-decay.html

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/hovind/howgood-c14.html

http://homepage.mac.com/cygnusx1/cdecay/index.html

http://www.huecotanks.com/debunk/cdecay.htm

Not that you'll believe a single thing in any of them, but Setterfield's hypothesis has been totally dismissed, even by the Institute for Creation Research...go figure!

So is there no light whatsoever in a black hole or does gravity prevent it from moving toward us?

Missileman
04-05-2007, 05:29 PM
So is there no light whatsoever in a black hole or does gravity prevent it from moving toward us?

It sounds to me like the black hole pulls the light into it but that the light maintains it's speed.

Dilloduck
04-05-2007, 05:35 PM
It sounds to me like the black hole pulls the light into it but that the light maintains it's speed.

And what happens to it when it reaches the mass causing the black hole?

LiberalNation
04-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Who cares.

Dilloduck
04-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Who cares.

You start a thread and mock those who participate in it ??????? There's a lesson in here somewhere for us all.

LiberalNation
04-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Not mocking. Just asking.

manu1959
04-05-2007, 06:11 PM

asking who? what?

Nuc
04-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Clearly this forum could use a science moderator. :coffee: :clap: :laugh2: :lol:

Dilloduck
04-05-2007, 06:16 PM

Sure you were :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

LiberalNation
04-05-2007, 06:17 PM
asking who? what?

Why does the light/black hole thing matter.

manu1959
04-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Why does the light/black hole thing matter.

you posted the article.....

LiberalNation
04-05-2007, 06:21 PM
I know, how also don't see why we have to learn this stuff in school. It's not certain, even if it was still who cares.

manu1959
04-05-2007, 06:50 PM
I know, how also don't see why we have to learn this stuff in school. It's not certain, even if it was still who cares.

if you don't learn this stuff you will have to become a republican cuz only smart people that know this shit can be dems....it is the whole blue state red state thing.....oh and so you can appear smart on message boards when you know that black holes a major gravity sources and can bend and even swallow light and spit it out somewhere, worm hole, else so it is possible the star they saw could have exploded in the future in a different galaxy or even been our galaxy exploding in the future or being born in the past....but hey this is just a therory i have and since it has not been proven wrong ....it is my science

Gunny
04-05-2007, 09:44 PM

Did they teach you how to spell "taught", as well?

Gunny
04-05-2007, 09:44 PM
if you don't learn this stuff you will have to become a republican cuz only smart people that know this shit can be dems....it is the whole blue state red state thing.....oh and so you can appear smart on message boards when you know that black holes a major gravity sources and can bend and even swallow light and spit it out somewhere, worm hole, else so it is possible the star they saw could have exploded in the future in a different galaxy or even been our galaxy exploding in the future or being born in the past....but hey this is just a therory i have and since it has not been proven wrong ....it is my science

Says who?:poke:

manu1959
04-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Says who?:poke:

opinions and scientific theory don't need links or proof ... i am innocent til proven guilty...

LiberalNation
04-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Did they teach you how to spell "taught", as well?

You know, I think they missed that one.

Lucky me, having word and spell-check to use to my hearts content I guess.