PDA

View Full Version : Damnit, not again!

jimnyc
04-06-2009, 10:15 AM
I once again have limited connectivity as I blew up my computer. Was just reading a few websites when it just powered off never to see proper power again.

I disconnected everything, every power connector and unplugged it. I first plugged back in the large 20 pin connector on the motherboard and it powers on. I then plug in the 4 pin connector which supposedly powers just the cpu, and the machine won't power on any longer. Tried a different power supply and nothing. Had the same thing happen last time and replacing the MB fixed it - but why 2x now did the power portion /cpu section just die? Shitty motherboard?

It's an XFX Nforce 630i / 7150 MB with 2G of Ram, running an Intel socket 775 CPU (I think 2.8ghz). Another thought was the actual CPU, but swapping the MB last time with the same CPU resolved the issue, and this time the symptoms are EXACTLY the same.

Jeff
04-06-2009, 07:13 PM
I once again have limited connectivity as I blew up my computer. Was just reading a few websites when it just powered off never to see proper power again.

I disconnected everything, every power connector and unplugged it. I first plugged back in the large 20 pin connector on the motherboard and it powers on. I then plug in the 4 pin connector which supposedly powers just the cpu, and the machine won't power on any longer. Tried a different power supply and nothing. Had the same thing happen last time and replacing the MB fixed it - but why 2x now did the power portion /cpu section just die? Shitty motherboard?

It's an XFX Nforce 630i / 7150 MB with 2G of Ram, running an Intel socket 775 CPU (I think 2.8ghz). Another thought was the actual CPU, but swapping the MB last time with the same CPU resolved the issue, and this time the symptoms are EXACTLY the same.

Give me a call Jim I will fix it for ya, lol, and pigs fly

Good luck getting it going man

glockmail
04-06-2009, 09:43 PM
I once again have limited connectivity as I blew up my computer. .... What did you do that for? :poke:

Seriously it sounds like you've got a broken pin on a connector or a burned out MB. Most likely too much heat in the CPU. My son and buddies hot rid these things like back in my generation guys used to do cars. The first thing they do is get a huge heat sink and cooler for the CPU. And they use some goo shit to mount it on the CPU. My son's cooler barely fits inside the case and it looks more like an automatic transmission cooler from a car than your usual 2" cube aluminum block with fins and a fan clipped on it.

emmett
04-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Jim...I'll get my kid to call you during the day tomorrow!

jimnyc
04-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Yay, I'm back!

I think Glock was right about the heat in the CPU area, but I think it was the heatsink as opposed to the CPU itself. The heat was going up and yet the CPU always made it through the ordeals, but surrounding parts would be damaged. While waiting for my new MB to arrive I went out and got a "super" heat sink that looks more like a mini V8! This sucker is HUGE and has a matching HUGE fan to go with it - and I bought more thermal paste as a precaution. Sucker booted right up with new MB and new cooling system.

I'm monitoring the temperatures now. 150 and above and you fry your board/cpu. Idling temp is about 110, about 120 when doing my normal things with a few programs open and a few firefox windows. I then open a few more programs and play a movie - more than I know I'll ever do, and the temp settles at about 132.

So, for now I'm good, but I have to hope I'm on the right track and took appropriate steps to avoid another repeat!

jimnyc
04-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Let this serve as a lesson to everyone, cooling is everything!!!!

After getting my machine working again I started monitoring my temperatures habitually. Even on an idle machine my temperatures were sitting around 45 celsius and popped over 70 a few times with a decent load.

I have the Intel Pentium 940 D processor which is notorious for running very hot. I took money I literally don't have and made a few changes (after much reading about similar issues others have had).

I purchased an Arctic thermal cooler (heatsink and fan) and also some Arctic silver 5 thermal paste. This connection between the heatsink and the CPU is extremely important, and this top rated paste serves as a conductor to transfer the heat.

After the changes my machine idles at about 27 celsius and with an extreme load it goes into the high 30's.

Problem solved. The extreme heats were the issue and the Arctic products solved them!

glockmail
04-10-2009, 08:29 AM
I admit, I am the man.

emmett
04-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Having assisted the boss with his computer issues hereby entitles Glock to 5 (Five) Brownie Points. You have helped make Jim a "cooler" guy!

glockmail
04-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Knowing Jim that means that he's going to try and poke me up the ass five times. Some fucking prize Emmett- thanks a lot. :dev3:

bullypulpit
04-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Let this serve as a lesson to everyone, cooling is everything!!!!

After getting my machine working again I started monitoring my temperatures habitually. Even on an idle machine my temperatures were sitting around 45 celsius and popped over 70 a few times with a decent load.

I have the Intel Pentium 940 D processor which is notorious for running very hot. I took money I literally don't have and made a few changes (after much reading about similar issues others have had).

I purchased an Arctic thermal cooler (heatsink and fan) and also some Arctic silver 5 thermal paste. This connection between the heatsink and the CPU is extremely important, and this top rated paste serves as a conductor to transfer the heat.

After the changes my machine idles at about 27 celsius and with an extreme load it goes into the high 30's.

Problem solved. The extreme heats were the issue and the Arctic products solved them!

That's why I went to a liquid cooled system.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq286/dzadzey/COLDTOY2.jpg

CPU rarely gets above 45 degrees F and the GPU rarely gets above 50 degrees F. And that's playing "CRYSIS" with the settings maxxed out for DX-9.

emmett
04-13-2009, 01:00 PM
That's why I went to a liquid cooled system.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq286/dzadzey/COLDTOY2.jpg

CPU rarely gets above 45 degrees F and the GPU rarely gets above 50 degrees F. And that's playing "CRYSIS" with the settings maxxed out for DX-9.

Bully...that is sick dude!