PDA

View Full Version : US flagged ship hijacked off Somalia... but the crew re-takes it!!!

Little-Acorn
04-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Sounds like the U.S. crew of that ship, showed some balls, and didn't just "sit back, do what the bad guys say, and wait for someone else to rescue you".

Wonder if the crew had weapons on board? If so, how did they get access to them? Thinking about it, a hijacking at sea doesn't sneak up on you instantaneously. You see the bad guys coming, you can usually tell they're bad guys, and you probably have a few minutes to arm yourselves if you have the tools. No doubt the bad guys then disarmed them, of course, but maybe they missed a hideout on one or two of the crew?

KUDOES to the crew of the ship!!!

P.S. If the crew DIDN'T have weapons, then that makes the retaking of their ship even more impressive.

-------------------------------------------

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D97ECKC80&show_article=1

Pentagon believes US crew in control of ship

Apr 8 11:00 AM US/Eastern

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Pentagon says the American crew of a hijacked ship has regained control of the vessel.

Pentagon sources spoke on condition of anonymity because information was still preliminary. But sources said Wednesday the hijacked crew apparently contacted the private shipping company they work for.

The shipping company, Maersk, has scheduled a noon news conference in Norfolk, Va.

The ship was captured by pirates near the coast of Somalia, in what is believed to be the first hostage-taking of American sailors in 200 years.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP)—Across the national security establishment, the United States urgently sought answers Wednesday for what is believed to be the first American hostage-taking by pirates in 200 years. The crew of the U.S.-flag ship hijacked off the coast of Somalia was believed to be safe.

President Barack Obama's chief spokesman said the White House was assessing a course of action. Press secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters that officials there monitoring the incident closely. Said Gibbs: "Our top priority is the personal safety of the crew members on board." The White House would say no more about what actions it was considering.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said there had been no communications from the pirates for ransom. But he would not go into military plans. "I'm not going to speculate on any future military actions," Whitman said, when asked what the U.S. military may do.

The UK Maritime Security Centre (Horn of Africa), an organization run by the European Union's Naval Force, said the crew was safe. British maritime officials had been able to contact the 17,000-ton Maersk Alabama, according to a U.S. defense official in Washington who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on the record.

Another U.S. official said similar information about the crew's apparent safety was passed during a 9 a.m. EDT conference call Wednesday among U.S. national security, military and homeland security officials.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

-Cp
04-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Love it! That's why you don't jack w/ the USA - we've been thru 9/11 - we don't take that crap anymore...other people taking over control.. jeesh..

glockmail
04-08-2009, 11:50 AM
....Wonder if the crew had weapons on board? ... If they did, no doubt the UN will prosecute them.

Little-Acorn
04-08-2009, 11:53 AM
There is no truth to the rumor that the "pirates" were in reality Tim Geithner and a number of Democrat Congresscritters, who came up to the ship, offered to "bail them out", were allowed to board, and then tried to take over.

And were promptly tossed over the side by the U.S. citizens whose JOB it was to run such a ship.

Nope, didn't happen that way at all.

DannyR
04-08-2009, 01:17 PM
If they did, no doubt the UN will prosecute them.I don't believe there is an actual international law prohibiting merchants from having small arms on board. Usually this is a company decision, enforced by the impracticality of transporting weapons through customs. May be wrong, but I haven't found anything definitive though stating a clear international law to the contrary.

Abbey Marie
04-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Rumors abound that the crew threatened the pirates with being locked up with Rosie O'Donnell and Joy Behar. They immediately surrendered. If true, the UN plans to investigate the crew for violating international prohibitions against torture.

Mr. P
04-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Just heard..4 pirates...crew of 20... no weapons on board (I find that hard to believe)..and the Captain is being held on another boat.

This ain't over yet.

Little-Acorn
04-08-2009, 02:17 PM
I don't believe there is an actual international law prohibiting merchants from having small arms on board. Usually this is a company decision, enforced by the impracticality of transporting weapons through customs. May be wrong, but I haven't found anything definitive though stating a clear international law to the contrary.

From what I've heard, some countries won't let a civilian ship dock if its crew is armed. So many ships that go to a number of different countries, simply tell their crews not to go armed.

I wonder how hard the crews listen to that. Especially when they know they're going to go through waters where pirates capture lots of civilian ships.

glockmail
04-08-2009, 03:56 PM
I don't believe there is an actual international law prohibiting merchants from having small arms on board. Usually this is a company decision, enforced by the impracticality of transporting weapons through customs. May be wrong, but I haven't found anything definitive though stating a clear international law to the contrary. I remember a TV show recently of a mercenary group hired by the Somali government to capture pirates and they weren't allowed to have guns because of UN rules. They also stopped in port to get try to obtain some supplies promised from the UN but were given the run-around and finally refused. I don't recall the name of the show but I think it was on Discovery.

Mr. P
04-08-2009, 04:33 PM
These guys really F'd up! A US destroyer and six other US Navy ships on the way! Assholes are toast! :salute:

DannyR
04-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Since January, pirates have staged 66 attacks, and they are still holding 14 ships and 260 crew members as hostages, according to the International Maritime Bureau, a watchdog group based in Kuala Lumpur.thats simply inexcusable. Time to open a can of whoop-ass on these people.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gB7YMEDuCwwY9ncDOtPAkEI4-H2wD97EH6AG0

sgtdmski
04-09-2009, 02:27 AM
If I am not mistaken, I believe that some of the members of the crew were from the Merchant Marines. Unfortunately, the United States, has allowed the Merchant Marines to deteroriate and unlike some countries, Russia, Panama, China, etc, who have thousands of members of the merchant service, the United States only has around 500.

dmk