PDA

View Full Version : Military Used Pigs In Blasts To Test Armor

-Cp
04-08-2009, 03:05 PM
http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-military-blasts-pig-story-a7,0,5041991.story

WASHINGTON -- Military researchers have dressed live pigs in body armor and strapped them into Humvee simulators that were then blown up with explosives to study the link between roadside bomb blasts and brain injury.

For an 11-month period that ended in December, researchers subjected pigs and rats to about 200 blasts, according to Pentagon documents and interviews. The explosions have ranged in intensity, wounding some of the pigs and killing others. Roadside bombs are the top killer of U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The research on pigs has determined that body armor does not worsen brain injury, said Jan Walker, a spokeswoman for the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA, which conducted the study. The military feared body armor would deflect the force of blasts toward the head and increase the risk of brain injury.

The research also shows that body armor protects troops' lungs and is critical to surviving blasts.

"If use of animal subjects in testing results in our ability to save lives or prevent injury to our troops, we're confident this is the right thing to do," Walker said. Pigs without body armor died from blasts within 24 to 48 hours, while those with armor survived "significantly higher blasts," she said.

Trigg
04-08-2009, 03:51 PM
OMG that is barbaric. I wonder where PETA was??????????

Mr. P
04-08-2009, 04:00 PM
The military has done this for many, many yrs.

They shoot pigs and goats too to study the ballistic damage, nothing new.

glockmail
04-08-2009, 04:04 PM
So it's OK to use rats to test woman's make-up and other crap that doesn't really effect human health but not pigs for body armor to protect soldiers.

My only beef with this is that they should use animals that have less worth than pigs like death row prisoners or better yet, voting age Democrats.

hjmick
04-08-2009, 04:14 PM
This story reminds me of a scene in the 1998 HBO movie, The Pentagon Wars. Cary Elwes' character loads a bunch of sheep into a Bradley to test the effects of the smoke from the aluminum armor on the occupants. Great movie. It follows the process of weapons development. If it weren't so damn funny, you'd cry. It's based on the book by and real life experiences of Colonel James G. Burton.

This isn't the scene, but it will give you a taste of the movie:

pyakI9GeYRs

DannyR
04-08-2009, 05:01 PM
My only question is did they have some bacon afterward, or let them rot?

If they weren't killed here, they'd be killed in the slaughter house. No spiders spinning clever messages over these animals.

PostmodernProphet
04-08-2009, 06:18 PM
that's screwed up....they could have used a Guantanemo detainee instead.....

Psychoblues
04-08-2009, 10:36 PM
They first asked for the patriots of the Debate Policy Message Board to volunteer.

The pigs were only the 2nd choice.

The GOP,,,the party of fear and loathing,,,sad,,,,

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues