PDA

View Full Version : Liberals Urge Lawsuits to Boost Voter Register Among Low-Income People

red states rule
04-09-2009, 07:17 AM
Looks like people like Chucky Schumer wants to do everything possible to expand the base of the Dem party

Like with illegals when they get thier drivers license, when the "poor" get their handouts make sure they register to vote so the freebies keep coming

Liberals Urge Lawsuits to Boost Voter Register Among Low-Income People
Wednesday, April 08, 2009
By Susan Jones, Senior Editor

(CNSNews.com) – Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) is pressing the Justice Department to sue states that do not offer voter registration at public assistance and welfare agencies.

Under Section 7 of the 1993 National Voter Registration Act (NVRA), eligible citizens must be given the chance to register to vote when applying for a driver’s license -- or when visiting state agencies for food stamps, unemployment and other welfare benefits.

People applying for assistance – even those just wishing to change their address -- “must be provided with a voter registration form…as well as assistance in completing the form and forwarding the completed application to the appropriate state or local election official,” the Justice Department says.

“This law is supposed to simplify the voter registration process, but it has been complicated by the rogue behavior of a large batch of states,” said Schumer, chairman of the Senate Rules Committee.

In an April 7 letter to Attorney General Eric Holder, Schumer said, “It is clear that states need to do more to comply with the NVRA, and I respectfully request that the Civil Rights Division move to determine whether state agencies are complying with these requirements of the Act.”

While many people register to vote at motor vehicle agencies, far fewer do so at social service agencies.

According to data compiled by the Census Bureau, in 2006, 21 percent of registered voters said they signed up at motor vehicle departments, but in the same year, only 0.7 percent registered to vote at a public assistance agency.
http://www.census.gov/prod/2008pubs/p20-557.pdf

Schumer says “lax enforcement” of the law has led to a sharp reduction in the number of registrations at public assistance agencies since 1996.

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=46313

moderate democrat
04-09-2009, 08:06 AM
why would you have a problem with compelling states to obey the law?

why would you think that was a BAD thing?

red states rule
04-09-2009, 08:12 AM
why would you have a problem with compelling states to obey the law?

why would you think that was a BAD thing?

Virgil, what the kefts forgets to mention is very important.

if they try to sue these states over this.. they will be in a big surprise.. 31 states are declaring sovereignty from the federal government.. and why did they refuse to mention which states they are going after?? A good majority of those that we now give our welfare programs to are ILLEGAL aliens! They can NOT give them voter registration cards or the welfare agencies will be breaking the voting laws of our land! and then Republicans can sue them too for violating voting laws!!

LMAO.. IS THE LEFT REALLY THIS STUPID???

Being a liberal what do you care about the law as long as your party benefits?

moderate democrat
04-09-2009, 08:19 AM
“It is clear that states need to do more to comply with the NVRA, and I respectfully request that the Civil Rights Division move to determine whether state agencies are complying with these requirements of the Act.”
I agree wholeheartedly.

I care very much about the law, and the name is not Virgil. Please stop calling me that, or I'll have to start calling you Elmo again.

red states rule
04-09-2009, 08:21 AM
“It is clear that states need to do more to comply with the NVRA, and I respectfully request that the Civil Rights Division move to determine whether state agencies are complying with these requirements of the Act.”
I agree wholeheartedly.

I care very much about the law, and the name is not Virgil. Please stop calling me that, or I'll have to start calling you Elmo again.

Virgil, you could not care less about the law - as long as yur party wins the law is either something to push or go around it

Libs have shown their disregard for the rule of law by their support for illegals, and their leaking of classified info during the 8 years of Pres Bush

In your world Virgil, the ends justify the means so the law be damned if it helps the party