PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Calls For Pirate Hearings

red states rule
04-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Oh yea!

A hearing

That'll show'em.

I can't wait to see the sternly worded memo they will issue following a 2-week conclave on this

Kerry calls for pirate hearings as drama continues
By Bridget Johnson
Posted: 04/09/09 02:11 PM [ET]
The chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee called for hearings on the mounting piracy threat as the fate of an American cargo-ship captain remained in limbo Thursday.

"These acts of piracy off of Somalia’s coastline may seem surreal, but they’re all too real and a thorough policy debate is long overdue," said Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) in a statement. "When Americans, including at least one from Massachusetts, are endangered, you’ve got a complicated and dangerous international situation brewing, and that includes questions about a hot-pursuit policy on Somalia’s coastline."

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/kerry-calls-for-pirate-hearings-as-drama-continues-2009-04-09.html

glockmail
04-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Those poor pirates must be pissing their pants in fear.

red states rule
04-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Those poor pirates must be pissing their pants in fear.

Maybe John Boy can get some swift boats out of storage, and get his old unit together, and take out the pirates on his own

glockmail
04-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Maybe John Boy can get some swift boats out of storage, and get his old unit together, and take out the pirates on his own Yeah he can run away from them too then come back just as the guys he left behind apprehend them, then blow up some more rice piles and get some rice stuck in his ass, pick up another Purple Heart.:laugh2:

red states rule
04-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Yeah he can run away from them too then come back just as the guys he left behind apprehend them, then blow up some more rice piles and get some rice stuck in his ass, pick up another Purple Heart.:laugh2:

and John would demand to stop using the term "pirates" to describe them

He would say we should call them "Wayward Seafaring Persons Who Have Lost Their Way".

Libs are always very PC no matter what is going on around them

glockmail
04-10-2009, 07:46 AM
and John would demand to stop using the term "pirates" to describe them

He would say we should call them "Wayward Seafaring Persons Who Have Lost Their Way".

Libs are always very PC no matter what is going on around themThey are fucking terrorists, and the Founders dealt with them the Right Way. They even wrote in the Constitution the federal governments authority to deal with them.

red states rule
04-10-2009, 07:49 AM
They are fucking terrorists, and the Founders dealt with them the Right Way. They even wrote in the Constitution the federal governments authority to deal with them.

Maybe we should not waste time capturing them because Obama will just think of some way to let them go, probably with a stimulus package, or a gesture of goodwill towards a more friendly relationship with other poverty stricken Wayward Seafaring Persons Who Have Lost Their Way.

glockmail
04-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Maybe we should not waste time capturing them because Obama will just think of some way to let them go, probably with a stimulus package, or a gesture of goodwill towards a more friendly relationship with other poverty stricken Wayward Seafaring Persons Who Have Lost Their Way. Except for the need for interrogation- and the liberals have tied our hands there as well- we're much better off "taking no prisoners". Especially since Obama intends to treat them as "criminals", this requiring a trail of their peers and to face their accusers. Since the US military isn't trained as police some liberal lawyer will cut them to pieces in open court and the terrorists will go free.

red states rule
04-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Except for the need for interrogation- and the liberals have tied our hands there as well- we're much better off "taking no prisoners". Especially since Obama intends to treat them as "criminals", this requiring a trail of their peers and to face their accusers. Since the US military isn't trained as police some liberal lawyer will cut them to pieces in open court and the terrorists will go free.

They would be released into the USA with automatic citizenship and be given welfare. That's what the plan is for the GITMO all stars.

red states rule
04-10-2009, 08:24 AM
http://images.quickblogcast.com/35238-32833/Opirate.jpg

Obama Reaches Out to 'Moderate' Pirate Community
Posted by Jon at 4/9/2009 11:15 AM
Categories: Jon,Politics,Humor

After maintaining his silence for two days, President Obama will soon make his first public statement about the pirate attack upon an U.S.-flagged vessel off the Horn of Africa. After several inquiries and a few well-placed bribes, Exurban League has received an early transcript of the President's remarks:

Good evening. As you know, early yesterday, Somali-based pirates attacked the Maersk Alabama, a freighter carrying relief supplies to Kenya. While we do not yet know all the details, the Alabama's crew re-took control of the vessel and forced the pirates off the ship.

Since the pirates are still holding the captain, I have sent FBI negotiators to facilitate his safe and speedy release. I assure his friends and family that I will not stop until this man-made disaster is resolved in a peaceful, tolerant and ecologically-sound manner.

Obviously, this incident has raised many concerns among Americans. There have been calls for justice and even violence against the misguided perpetrators. But such an emotional reaction has led to the disparagement of entire groups with which we are unfamiliar. We have seen this throughout history.

For too long, America has been too dismissive of the proud culture and invaluable contributions of the Pirate Community. Whether it is their pioneering work with prosthetics, husbandry of tropical birds or fanciful fashion sense, America owes a deep debt to Pirates.

The past eight years have shown a failure to appreciate the historic role of these noble seafarers. Instead of celebrating their entreprenuerial spirit and seeking to partner with them to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive.

Some of us wonder if our current Overseas Contingency Operation would even be needed had the last administration not been so quick to label Pirates as "thieves," "terrorists" and worse. Such swashbucklaphobia can lead to tragic results, as we have seen this week.

To address this issue, I have instructed Vice President Joe Biden to create a cabinet-level Czar of Pirate Outreach and Buccaneer Interrelation. In addition, June 1-7 has been designated as Pirate Awareness Week, during which all federal buildings will fly the Jolly Roger and sponsor sensitivity training. Thankfully, my American Recovery and Reinvestment Act will fund free grog and hard tack for all attendees.

Finally, to all pirates listening to international broadcasts, shortwave services and ship-to-shore radio, let me say this:

Ahoy, me regret arr relationship has set sail in a scurvy manner. Arr people share many mutual 'alues and concerns on t' raging main. Perchance, could ye handsomely release the cap'n o' the ship and I assure that no harm will come t' ye or ye hearties. Let us smite t' reset button and launch our seabond on a new pegleg. Savvy? Godspeed t' ye and t' ye beauties. Aye, me parrot concurs.

http://exurbanleague.com/2009/04/09/obama-issues-statement-on-the-pirate-attack.aspx

emmett
04-10-2009, 08:59 AM
And this is the administration that will control your security here in America. I feel better, how about you?

red states rule
04-10-2009, 09:03 AM
And this is the administration that will control your security here in America. I feel better, how about you?

Are you feeling stimulated yet?

Are you enjoying the change?

Why are you still paying on your mortgage and credit cards?

Just a few questions for the Obama supporters

Kathianne
04-10-2009, 09:08 AM
http://images.quickblogcast.com/35238-32833/Opirate.jpg

Obama Reaches Out to 'Moderate' Pirate Community
Posted by Jon at 4/9/2009 11:15 AM
Categories: Jon,Politics,Humor

http://exurbanleague.com/2009/04/09/obama-issues-statement-on-the-pirate-attack.aspx

If this comes to pass...:laugh2:

red states rule
04-10-2009, 09:12 AM
If this comes to pass...:laugh2:

So how about "playful picaroons"? Sounds harmless enough.

Or "bold bucaneers"? That gives them a sort of dashing image. Freatfor public relations.

Whatever you do, don't mention any religious affiliation.

PostmodernProphet
04-10-2009, 09:17 AM
They are fucking terrorists, and the Founders dealt with them the Right Way.

interestingly, it appears the founders started out with hearings....

In 1786, Thomas Jefferson and John Adams went to negotiate with Tripoli's envoy to London, Ambassador Sidi Haji Abdrahaman or (Sidi Haji Abdul Rahman Adja). Upon inquiring "concerning the ground of the pretensions to make war upon nations who had done them no injury", the ambassador replied:

It was written in their Koran, that all nations which had not acknowledged the Prophet were sinners, whom it was the right and duty of the faithful to plunder and enslave; and that every muslim who was slain in this warfare was sure to go to paradise. He said, also, that the man who was the first to board a vessel had one slave over and above his share, and that when they sprang to the deck of an enemy's ship, every sailor held a dagger in each hand and a third in his mouth; which usually struck such terror into the foe that they cried out for quarter at once. [2] [3]

Jefferson reported the conversation to Secretary of State John Jay, who submitted the Ambassador's comments and offer to Congress. Jefferson argued that paying tribute would encourage more attacks. Although John Adams agreed with Jefferson, he believed that circumstances forced the U.S. to pay tribute until an adequate navy could be built. The U.S. had just fought an exhausting war, which put the nation deep in debt. Federalist and anti-federalist forces argued over the needs of the country and the burden of taxation. Jefferson's own Democratic-Republicans and anti-navalists believed that the future of the country lay in westward expansion, with Atlantic trade threatening to siphon money and energy away from the new nation on useless wars in the Old World.[4] The U.S. paid Algiers the ransom, and continued to pay up to $1 million per year over the next 15 years for the safe passage of American ships or the return of American hostages. Payments in ransom and tribute to the privateering states amounted to 20 percent of United States government annual revenues in 1800.

it wasn't until 1801 that the decision was made to put an end to piracy....

{note....see bolded quote.....deja vu......}

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Barbary_War

red states rule
04-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Kerry can now feel useful again. Meetings, pirate commission, 1000 page report- all brought to you by the worthless liberal idiots in Congress.

glockmail
04-10-2009, 11:12 AM
interestingly, it appears the founders started out with hearings....

it wasn't until 1801 that the decision was made to put an end to piracy....

{note....see bolded quote.....deja vu......}

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Barbary_War

Sure, which means that we don't have to hold hearings again.

PostmodernProphet
04-10-2009, 02:23 PM

ah, but to a congressmen, a hearing is not held to hear, but to speak.....

red states rule
04-11-2009, 08:41 AM

Rumor has it the Committee will make a fact-finding trip to Atlantis this summer.

Kerry's plan is to make the Somali Pirates write up their own evals for a NAM and a Silver Star, and then, while they are busy filling out the paperwork Kerry will shoot them all in the ass with a rice gun

red states rule
04-11-2009, 08:46 AM

When four thugs floating around in a row boat in the middle of the ocean can hold America hostage, how can Obama possibly stand up to Iran or North Korea?

I want to know one thing. When the captain went overboard trying to swim away from his captors why didnt we blow the damn boat out of the water, or simply shoot it up. Are we now the US of Code Pink?

theHawk
04-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Oh yea!

A hearing

That'll show'em.

I can't wait to see the sternly worded memo they will issue following a 2-week conclave on this

Kerry calls for pirate hearings as drama continues
By Bridget Johnson
Posted: 04/09/09 02:11 PM [ET]
The chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee called for hearings on the mounting piracy threat as the fate of an American cargo-ship captain remained in limbo Thursday.

"These acts of piracy off of Somalia’s coastline may seem surreal, but they’re all too real and a thorough policy debate is long overdue," said Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) in a statement. "When Americans, including at least one from Massachusetts, are endangered, you’ve got a complicated and dangerous international situation brewing, and that includes questions about a hot-pursuit policy on Somalia’s coastline."

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/kerry-calls-for-pirate-hearings-as-drama-continues-2009-04-09.html

Well we all know there has to be someone to blame, and its certainly not going to be the terr-....pirates. I'm sure its the fault of some greedy capitalist nation that has put these poor people in such a desparate situation, forcing them to turn to violence. :rolleyes:

red states rule
04-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Well we all know there has to be someone to blame, and its certainly not going to be the terr-....pirates. I'm sure its the fault of some greedy capitalist nation that has put these poor people in such a desparate situation, forcing them to turn to violence. :rolleyes:

Why isnt Obama out in front on this? He's hiding from this disaster and running away from the questions about it.

What a great leader. :rolleyes:

PostmodernProphet
04-11-2009, 01:59 PM
I would think it would be pretty easy to determine which harbor or town these pirates use as a home base....I say, pick them all up and put them all in custody somewhere, then ask the pirates if they would like to come get them and take them home......

red states rule
04-11-2009, 02:52 PM
ah, but to a congressmen, a hearing is not held to hear, but to speak.....

Knowing the Dems, they'll probably call Johnny Depp as an expert witness

5stringJeff
04-11-2009, 03:28 PM
The only way to deal with pirates is to blow them out of the water.

Mr. P
04-11-2009, 04:51 PM
The only hearing I'm interested in hearing is the sound of a 50 cal from the destroyer deck.

red states rule
04-11-2009, 04:58 PM
The only hearing I'm interested in hearing is the sound of a 50 cal from the destroyer deck.

Was Kerry for the pirates before he was against them?

Mr. P
04-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Was Kerry for the pirates before he was against them?

Donno about Kerry but Bambam seems to be. They could of blown these idiots outta the water the other day when the hostage made a swim for it...but NOOOoooooooooo.

I'll tell ya, IF I were in charge that ship would be up close an personal and my best marksmen would have a bead on every pirate head in that boat. When the time was right..POW..four pirates become fish food.

red states rule
04-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Donno about Kerry but Bambam seems to be. They could of blown these idiots outta the water the other day when the hostage made a swim for it...but NOOOoooooooooo.

I'll tell ya, IF I were in charge that ship would be up close an personal and my best marksmen would have a bead on every pirate head in that boat. When the time was right..POW..four pirates become fish food.

A hearing?

That's almost as good as voting 'present'

It'll backfire on Kerry.

The pirates will take the 5th before his committee.

It doesn't work, publicity wise, to browbeat handicapped people who have eye patches and wooden legs.

Mr. P
04-11-2009, 05:22 PM
A hearing?

That's almost as good as voting 'present'

It'll backfire on Kerry.

The pirates will take the 5th before his committee.

It doesn't work, publicity wise, to browbeat handicapped people who have eye patches and wooden legs.

Yes a hearing. They'd hear: RELEASE THE CAPTAIN NOW!

That would be the LAST thing they heard from me.

red states rule
04-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Yes a hearing. They'd hear: RELEASE THE CAPTAIN NOW!

That would be the LAST thing they heard from me.

and I forgot about the parrots. PETA will have to seize them

Of course, hose parrots can nest in Kerry's hair, during the hearings.

The first and most important order of business in this kangaroo hearing will be to discuss what other name can be used for them instead of "pirates". They (the "pirates") have not been found guilty of pirarcy before any US Court of Law. I bet they have not even been read their rights.

I'm sure they were innocent people just out for a cruise in their little boats when our big bad cargo ship threatened them. I'll bet the hearings will find the Captain of the cargo ship guilty of terror on the high seas. The crew was probably getting ready to break into the "pirates" homes in the dead of night and terrorize their women and children.

Kerry will make sure the US looks like the aggressor and the "pirates" look like the victims. That's the whole purpose of these hearings.

glockmail
04-11-2009, 06:22 PM
I can't help but look at a parallel between Obama and Carter in this hostage crisis.

red states rule
04-11-2009, 06:23 PM
I can't help but look at a parallel between Obama and Carter in this hostage crisis.

Well we are getting Carters' second term so it is only natural they act the same

Mr. P
04-11-2009, 06:24 PM

It reminds me of that as well.

red states rule
04-11-2009, 06:26 PM
http://rightwingnews.com/graphics/welcomebackcarter.jpg

Kathianne
04-11-2009, 06:30 PM
It reminds me of that as well.

Carter at least appeared distraught at the hostage taking, Obama doesn't seem to recognize it as a problem.

glockmail
04-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Carter at least appeared distraught at the hostage taking, Obama doesn't seem to recognize it as a problem. Its not close enough to re-election.

red states rule
04-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Carter at least appeared distraught at the hostage taking, Obama doesn't seem to recognize it as a problem.

are their any black libs being held hostage? No. Just a straight white guy - so no there is so urgent reason to act

Kathianne
04-11-2009, 06:47 PM
are their any black libs being held hostage? No. Just a straight white guy - so no there is so urgent reason to act

To tell the truth, I doubt it has to do with race. I don't think he gives a fig about anyone making more than $40k per, those are who pays taxes. I'm making a pretty safe guess the captain makes more than that. He's for the 'downtrodden', and his fellow politicians and community organizers.

red states rule
04-11-2009, 06:49 PM
To tell the truth, I doubt it has to do with race. I don't think he gives a fig about anyone making more than $40k per, those are who pays taxes. I'm making a pretty safe guess the captain makes more than that. He's for the 'downtrodden', and his fellow politicians and community organizers.

"We all need to protect out phony baloney jobs"- Mel Brooks Blazing Saddles

The REAL Navy knows how to resolve piracy issues. No cujones in the WH.

Kathianne
04-11-2009, 06:50 PM
"We all need to protect out phony baloney jobs"- Mel Brooks Blazing Saddles

The REAL Navy knows how to resolve piracy issues. No cujones in the WH.

The Navy takes their orders from CIC. If he says, "Observe and stand down", that's what they do.

red states rule
04-11-2009, 06:53 PM
The Navy takes their orders from CIC. If he says, "Observe and stand down", that's what they do.

OK

From now on, Piracy shall be known by a PC dictum-- Illegal Commandeering of Foreign Vessels.

Pirates shall be known as -Foreign Vessel Interdictors (Commandeers)

There you go Janet Napolitano

glockmail
04-11-2009, 06:53 PM
To tell the truth, I doubt it has to do with race. I don't think he gives a fig about anyone making more than $40k per, those are who pays taxes. I'm making a pretty safe guess the captain makes more than that. He's for the 'downtrodden', and his fellow politicians and community organizers. I don't know about that either, as he has plenty of rich white liberal donors to fuel his campaign. No, the way to predict and explain Obama is to understand that he's a populist, hence no core values. Since he sees the world through the eyes of the liberal media, he doesn't see a problem. Once the media starts reporting that this is a problem then he'll become concerned.

red states rule
04-11-2009, 06:55 PM
I don't know about that either, as he has plenty of rich white liberal donors to fuel his campaign. No, the way to predict and explain Obama is to understand that he's a populist, hence no core values. Since he sees the world through the eyes of the liberal media, he doesn't see a problem. Once the media starts reporting that this is a problem then he'll become concerned.

I wonder more why the Somali pirates waited until Obama was President to take a ship flying the US flag.

And I think we all know the answer to that one.

Testicularly challenged

Kathianne
04-11-2009, 06:58 PM
OK

From now on, Piracy shall be known by a PC dictum-- Illegal Commandeering of Foreign Vessels.

Pirates shall be known as -Foreign Vessel Interdictors (Commandeers)

There you go Janet Napolitano

Do you think the Navy should ignore orders?

red states rule
04-11-2009, 06:59 PM
and get the captain killed.

The Capt tried to escape, did get away for a time, the Navy should have blown the boat out of the water

If that window opens again, take the shot

Kathianne
04-11-2009, 07:02 PM
I don't know about that either, as he has plenty of rich white liberal donors to fuel his campaign. No, the way to predict and explain Obama is to understand that he's a populist, hence no core values. Since he sees the world through the eyes of the liberal media, he doesn't see a problem. Once the media starts reporting that this is a problem then he'll become concerned.

I see him acting more like a Kremlin ruler. He and his live high: see Pizza from St. Louis and Kobe-Wagyu steaks from Japan. Dog from Kennedy dog lineage, Michelle's ring after winning, etc.

He will screw the rich whites, blacks, etc., some will care, some can afford it and it makes them feel better.

The rest of the middle and higher are in deep doo doo.

I think he actually has an Alinsky model driven philosophy, (core), which we are now seeing applied both domestically and how he seems to be heading internationally.

red states rule
04-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Do you think the Navy should ignore orders?

Of course not, but one "accidental" shot could end the entire thing

Maybe Carter is telling Obama how to handle this hostage situation

Kathianne
04-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Of course not, but one "accidental" shot could end the entire thing

Maybe Carter is telling Obama how to handle this hostage situation

and get the captain killed.

Kathianne
04-11-2009, 07:10 PM
The Capt tried to escape, did get away for a time, the Navy should have blown the boat out of the water

If that window opens again, take the shot

For moments, but AK's were shooting and he returned to the raft. If the Navy is under order not to shoot, they won't. They tend not to have 'accidents' along those lines.

Kathianne
04-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Board glitch. Seems RSR's response to my comment of 'get the captain killed' is preceding the quoted post. I cannot change the order, but clicking the arrow will bring one to the correct quote.

red states rule
04-11-2009, 07:15 PM
For moments, but AK's were shooting and he returned to the raft. If the Navy is under order not to shoot, they won't. They tend not to have 'accidents' along those lines.

Well the Chosen One is rather busy these days

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq143/Roadsong66/pizzabama-1.jpg

Time to get pizza delivered from St. Louis to White House- 4 hours (two hour flight plus commute plus cooking pizza = 4 hours)

Time for president to comment on international hostage crisis involving a US citizen and the US Navy - 4 days and counting...

Kathianne
04-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Well the Chosen One is rather busy these days

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq143/Roadsong66/pizzabama-1.jpg

Time to get pizza delivered from St. Louis to White House- 4 hours (two hour flight plus commute plus cooking pizza = 4 hours)

Time for president to comment on international hostage crisis involving a US citizen and the US Navy - 4 days and counting...

I think it's fine to criticize the pizza thing, but it's not a big enough deal to be brought into multiple threads. ;)

red states rule
04-11-2009, 07:22 PM
I think it's fine to criticize the pizza thing, but it's not a big enough deal to be brought into multiple threads. ;)

It does show Obama's priorities. As people died in ice storms he dined on $100/pd steak

Kathianne
04-11-2009, 07:23 PM
It does show Obama's priorities. As people died in ice storms he dined on $100/pd steak

There was a thread on that too at the time. ;)

red states rule
04-11-2009, 07:24 PM
There was a thread on that too at the time. ;)

OK, I get the hint

Obama Team Mulls Aims Of Somali Extremists
Seeing Potential Terror Threat, Officials Debate Their Options

By Greg Jaffe and Karen DeYoung
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, April 11, 2009; Page A01

Senior Obama administration officials are debating how to address a potential terrorist threat to U.S. interests from a Somali extremist group, with some in the military advocating strikes against its training camps. But many officials maintain that uncertainty about the intentions of the al-Shabab organization dictates a more patient, nonmilitary approach.

Al-Shabab, whose fighters have battled Ethiopian occupiers and the tenuous Somali government, poses a dilemma for the administration, according to several senior national security officials who outlined the debate only on the condition of anonymity.

The organization's rapid expansion, ties between its leaders and al-Qaeda, and the presence of Americans and Europeans in its camps have raised the question of whether a preemptive strike is warranted. Yet the group's objectives have thus far been domestic, and officials say that U.S. intelligence has no evidence it is planning attacks outside Somalia.

An attack against al-Shabab camps in southern Somalia would mark the administration's first military strike outside the Iraq and Afghanistan-Pakistan war zones. The White House discussions highlight the challenges facing the Obama team as it attempts to distance itself from the Bush administration, which conducted at least five military strikes in Somalia. The new administration is still defining its rationale for undertaking sensitive operations in countries where the United States is not at war.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/10/AR2009041003734.html?

Kathianne
04-11-2009, 07:34 PM
OK, I get the hint

Obama Team Mulls Aims Of Somali Extremists
Seeing Potential Terror Threat, Officials Debate Their Options

By Greg Jaffe and Karen DeYoung
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, April 11, 2009; Page A01

Senior Obama administration officials are debating how to address a potential terrorist threat to U.S. interests from a Somali extremist group, with some in the military advocating strikes against its training camps. But many officials maintain that uncertainty about the intentions of the al-Shabab organization dictates a more patient, nonmilitary approach.

Al-Shabab, whose fighters have battled Ethiopian occupiers and the tenuous Somali government, poses a dilemma for the administration, according to several senior national security officials who outlined the debate only on the condition of anonymity.

The organization's rapid expansion, ties between its leaders and al-Qaeda, and the presence of Americans and Europeans in its camps have raised the question of whether a preemptive strike is warranted. Yet the group's objectives have thus far been domestic, and officials say that U.S. intelligence has no evidence it is planning attacks outside Somalia.

An attack against al-Shabab camps in southern Somalia would mark the administration's first military strike outside the Iraq and Afghanistan-Pakistan war zones. The White House discussions highlight the challenges facing the Obama team as it attempts to distance itself from the Bush administration, which conducted at least five military strikes in Somalia. The new administration is still defining its rationale for undertaking sensitive operations in countries where the United States is not at war.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/10/AR2009041003734.html?
I'm sure the Marines would like to take on some of those camps, would probably be a good idea to prevent further al Quaeda presence in the area. My guess is the powers that be, which is the 'kitchen cabinet', not the official one, will have no part of messing in the area.

The people got what they voted for.

sgtdmski
04-12-2009, 05:15 AM
Why do we need hearings. It is as simple as this, if you attack our ships you are attacking our nation. Therefore, expect the US Navy to make it a habit of being in the area and when encountering pirates to shoot first, and ask questions later. If this does not deter the piracy, then we will be forced to put a Marine Expeditionary Force on shore to hunt you down. Simple as that, no need for the hearing, instead of wasting the money, go ahead and send it to me for solving the problem there Mr. Kerry.

dmk

red states rule
04-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Why do we need hearings. It is as simple as this, if you attack our ships you are attacking our nation. Therefore, expect the US Navy to make it a habit of being in the area and when encountering pirates to shoot first, and ask questions later. If this does not deter the piracy, then we will be forced to put a Marine Expeditionary Force on shore to hunt you down. Simple as that, no need for the hearing, instead of wasting the money, go ahead and send it to me for solving the problem there Mr. Kerry.

dmk

For sure Obama is trying to sew up the Somali Pirate vote

That is why I am sure we will take these guys alive and release them into the US in time for the 2009 Amesty Bill

glockmail
04-12-2009, 08:40 AM
I see him acting more like a Kremlin ruler. He and his live high: see Pizza from St. Louis and Kobe-Wagyu steaks from Japan. Dog from Kennedy dog lineage, Michelle's ring after winning, etc.

He will screw the rich whites, blacks, etc., some will care, some can afford it and it makes them feel better.

The rest of the middle and higher are in deep doo doo.

I think he actually has an Alinsky model driven philosophy, (core), which we are now seeing applied both domestically and how he seems to be heading internationally. That too.

glockmail
04-12-2009, 08:41 AM
I wonder more why the Somali pirates waited until Obama was President to take a ship flying the US flag.
... Good point- any stats on it though?

red states rule
04-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Good point- any stats on it though?

Just the ever increasing news coverage and how small ships are taking large tankers

They see the spin of America has turned into a tower of Jello since Dems took over

Kathianne
04-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Good point- any stats on it though?

First US flagged ship taken by pirates off African coast in over 200 years.

http://www.projo.com/news/content/PIRATES_WAR_COLLEGE_04-11-09_VQE0P4C_v10.378703c.html

glockmail
04-12-2009, 08:55 AM
First US flagged ship taken by pirates off African coast in over 200 years.

http://www.projo.com/news/content/PIRATES_WAR_COLLEGE_04-11-09_VQE0P4C_v10.378703c.html Thanks Kate. From your link, two things that I've been saying all along:

...the United States Navy and Marines were founded to fight the pirates two centuries ago” in North Africa, said J. Peter Pham, a national-security professor at James Madison University in Virginia. ...

For the long term, Owens takes a strict line on anti-piracy policy, viewing it as a straightforward matter of restoring the age-old doctrine that pirates are, literally, outlaws with no rights to trial or other legal protections. “The only way this is ever going to be resolved is to simply take pirates out whenever you identify them,” said Owens.

Kathianne
04-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks Kate. From your link, two things that I've been saying all along:

No problem. Truth is, Jefferson went ballistic when they 'upped' the Tribute. England had always paid Tribute to Barbary States, it's after independence was won and US had to pay, they really had a problem with it. Seemed smart then and now. No Tribute!

http://www.pccua.edu/keough/Thomas%20Jefferson%20and%20the%20Barbary%20Pirates .htm

glockmail
04-12-2009, 09:10 AM
No problem. Truth is, Jefferson went ballistic when they 'upped' the Tribute. England had always paid Tribute to Barbary States, it's after independence was won and US had to pay, they really had a problem with it. Seemed smart then and now. No Tribute!

http://www.pccua.edu/keough/Thomas%20Jefferson%20and%20the%20Barbary%20Pirates .htm The tribute stems from the Koran, where infidels shall pay for the privilege of living amongst Muslims.

Kathianne
04-12-2009, 09:11 AM
The tribute stems from the Koran, where infidels shall pay for the privilege of living amongst Muslims.

Yeah, I know and have for a long time. Good point though, for those that don't.

red states rule
04-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Right now, the rookie Obama is beginning to realize that sitting in the Oval Office means making real decisions, decisions that may well end up with one, a dozen or more, or beyond that number, being killed.

Days into this Somali piracy event, and silence from the White House save for some mumblings about negotiations and such or trying to get international support for a decision.

The clock is ticking, the time-bomb is fuzed…and we await your first real decision of your Presidency.

red states rule
04-12-2009, 09:20 AM
We should adopt the liberal method of conflict resolution.

From now on the pirates will be called “unauthorized boarders” and the hostages will be called “valued temporary guests”.

That should do it. Now that America has stopped arrogantly degrading the pirates, they will no longer hijack ships and murder hostages.

glockmail
04-12-2009, 09:20 AM
I believe in free markets. The government has no business interfering with trade between the shipping companies and the pirate entrepreneurs. That's not free markets but anarchy dumbo.:lame2:

Jagger
04-12-2009, 09:25 AM
I believe in free markets. The government has no business interfering with trade between the shipping companies and the pirate entrepreneurs.

glockmail
04-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Right now, the rookie Obama is beginning to realize that sitting in the Oval Office means making real decisions, decisions that may well end up with one, a dozen or more, or beyond that number, being killed.

Days into this Somali piracy event, and silence from the White House save for some mumblings about negotiations and such or trying to get international support for a decision.

The clock is ticking, the time-bomb is fuzed…and we await your first real decision of your Presidency.

During the election there are several examples of Obama keeping silent on current events, that is until he has time for his minions to take polls so he can find out what his position should be. The man has no core values.

Mr. P
04-12-2009, 10:12 AM
I believe in free markets. The government has no business interfering with trade between the shipping companies and the pirate entrepreneurs.

I believe in free markets too. I don't believe in blackmail which is what this is.

As far as entrepreneurs...since the shipping companies don't want to arm the crew this is a perfect opportunity for a private company to provide say 10 armed men just for ships entering these areas. The cost would be significantly less than the ransom they pay now.

Jagger
04-12-2009, 10:40 AM
I believe in free markets too. I don't believe in blackmail. You're obviously a socialist who wants the government to control the economy.

Jagger
04-12-2009, 10:42 AM
That's not free markets but anarchy. You're obviously a Socialist who wants government to control every aspect of our lives.

crin63
04-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Kerry can now feel useful again. Meetings, pirate commission, 1000 page report- all brought to you by the worthless liberal idiots in Congress.

Aint it the truth!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to red states rule again.

red states rule
04-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Aint it the truth!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to red states rule again.

Thanks

Obama can always invite the "transient-occupants-seeking-quick-cash" to the White House for pizza.

crin63
04-12-2009, 10:52 AM
If we just summarily execute all pirates the moment they mess with one our ships the pirate problem will go away.

Piracy has been on the rise for quite awhile, its interesting that they wait until Obama is president to attack a US-flagged ship. Even the pirates can see he is weak. Maybe he should bow to the pirates also.

red states rule
04-12-2009, 10:57 AM
If we just summarily execute all pirates the moment they mess with one our ships the pirate problem will go away.

Piracy has been on the rise for quite awhile, its interesting that they wait until Obama is president to attack a US-flagged ship. Even the pirates can see he is weak. Maybe he should bow to the pirates also.

The pirates must know that our jerk of a President, like most liberals, is weak on national defense. It appears he is being tested with the first capture of an American flagged ship... and failing miserably.

He has made his position on national defense known to all, and emboldened those who would otherwise be caution about messing with the United States. This is Carter/Clinton II... and only just the beginning.

They certainly didn't try a stunt like this on Bush's watch, did they?

crin63
04-12-2009, 11:12 AM
It occurs to me that piracy is just an aggressive form of wealth redistribution. Libs should love it.

Maybe thats why Obama is silent, he wants to see if he can use piracy in the US for his wealth redistribution plan.

red states rule
04-12-2009, 11:16 AM
It occurs to me the piracy is just an aggressive form of wealth redistribution. Libs should love it.

Maybe Obama will give them jobs as IRS field workers

glockmail
04-12-2009, 11:39 AM
You're obviously a Socialist who wants government to control every aspect of our lives.
Actually I want the federal government to be restricted to its enumerated powers and all the socialists to move to Massachusetts, New York and California- or better yet to Europe.

glockmail
04-12-2009, 11:40 AM
It occurs to me that piracy is just an aggressive form of wealth redistribution. Libs should love it.

Maybe thats why Obama is silent, he wants to see if he can use piracy in the US for his wealth redistribution plan.

Maybe Obama will give them jobs as IRS field workers

:laugh2: You two are in rare form today. :laugh2:

red states rule
04-12-2009, 11:42 AM
:laugh2: You two are in rare form today. :laugh2:

As the famous wrestling manager Lou Albano always said

"I'm hell when I''m well - and I ain't never sick"

Jagger
04-12-2009, 11:43 AM
The Constitution grants the government no power to regulate piracy.

red states rule
04-12-2009, 11:45 AM
The Constitution grants the government no power to regulate piracy.

You were born ignorant and have been losing ground ever since

red states rule
04-12-2009, 11:51 AM
"The White House discussions highlight the challenges facing the Obama team as it attempts to distance itself from the Bush administration, which conducted at least five military strikes in Somalia. The new administration is still defining its rationale for undertaking sensitive operations in countries where the United States is not at war.Some in the Defense Department have been frustrated by what they see as a failure to act. Many other national security officials say an ill-considered strike would have negative diplomatic and political consequences far beyond the Horn of Africa. Other options under consideration are increased financial pressure and diplomatic activity, including stepped-up efforts to resolve the larger political turmoil in Somalia.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/10/AR2009041003734.html

Looks like the Defense Dept will continue to be frustrated.

Obama's position has been shaped by his stubbornness to 'not do like Bush'

5stringJeff
04-12-2009, 12:34 PM

Demanding tribute at gunpoint is not a free market transaction. You should know that from all your venture capitalist work.

red states rule
04-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Breaking News:

U.S. Intelligence Official Says American Ship Captain Freed Off Somalia

http://www.foxnews.com/

I hope the pirates are dead and fed to the sharks

Kathianne
04-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Breaking News:

U.S. Intelligence Official Says American Ship Captain Freed Off Somalia

http://www.foxnews.com/

I hope the pirates are dead and fed to the sharks

3 dead pirates. Pretty good news. Now we'll see where the US goes with this.

glockmail
04-12-2009, 02:00 PM
The Constitution grants the government no power to regulate piracy.Article I Section 8 Clause 10.

red states rule
04-12-2009, 02:16 PM
3 dead pirates. Pretty good news. Now we'll see where the US goes with this.

Perhaps charge those who killed the pirates with violating their civil rights?

Kathianne
04-12-2009, 02:30 PM
I for one, am thankful that the Captain is safe, the crew is safe, three pirates won't bother anyone, anymore. The fourth pirate injured and in US custody. The Navy did a superb job. This shouldn't be political.

red states rule
04-12-2009, 02:31 PM
I for one, am thankful that the Captain is safe, the crew is safe, three pirates won't bother anyone, anymore. The fourth pirate injured and in US custody. The Navy did a superb job. This shouldn't be political.

The troops did their job in their usual fine way. They saw a chance and took their shots

The pirates are dead, the Capt is free, and it happened on Easter Sunday

Kathianne
04-12-2009, 02:34 PM
The troops did their job in their usual fine way. They saw a chance and took their shots

The pirates are dead, the Capt is free, and it happened on Easter Sunday

It's been awhile since there's been much too celebrate, this is one! :beer:

red states rule
04-12-2009, 02:35 PM
It's been awhile since there's been much too celebrate, this is one! :beer:

On this one we do agree. Could not have been better news and it happened on the perfect day

Kathianne
04-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Jagger thread banned.

red states rule
04-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Jagger thread banned.

:salute::thumb::clap:

Kathianne
04-12-2009, 03:01 PM
:salute::thumb::clap:

People who are getting posts deleted repeatedly are going to find themselves thread banned. Let's try responding to topics. If you just feel compelled to knock someone without a stated reason, it's flaming-go to the cage, there's a lot there.

Please keep it out of the current threads.

red states rule
04-12-2009, 05:26 PM
I am happy that Obama choose to continue the Bush doctorine that is responsible for the procedures followed by the Navy which resulted in the rescue of Capt. Phillips.

Seeker
04-12-2009, 05:44 PM

Perhaps someone in the Gov reads our site? :thumb:

red states rule
04-12-2009, 05:48 PM
According to news reports, Obama did not get involved. The order to engage is a 'standing order' and the decision is left to the on scene commander.

It must be bothering Obama to have been able to exploit another perfectly good crisis.

Kathianne
04-12-2009, 07:26 PM
I moved the off topic posts to lounge. We're trying to keep the topical threads more or less on topic, please.

glockmail
04-12-2009, 07:29 PM
According to news reports, Obama did not get involved. The order to engage is a 'standing order' and the decision is left to the on scene commander.

It must be bothering Obama to have been able to exploit another perfectly good crisis. How long has it been standing? My guess is about 8 years.

red states rule
04-13-2009, 06:29 AM
How long has it been standing? My guess is about 8 years.

snip

"Throughout the past four days, White House officials played down Obama's role in the hostage drama. Until yesterday, he made no public statements about the pirates.

In fact, aides said yesterday, Obama had been briefed 17 times since he returned from his trip abroad, including several times from the White House Situation Room. And without giving too many details, senior White House officials made it clear that Obama had provided the authority for the rescue.

"The president's focus was on saving and protecting the life of the captain," one adviser said. Friday evening, after a National Security Council telephone update, Obama granted U.S. forces what aides called "the authority to use appropriate force to save the life of the captain." On Saturday at 9:20 a.m., Obama went further, giving authority to an "additional set of U.S. forces to engage in potential emergency actions."

A top military official, Vice Adm. William E. Gortney, commander of the Fifth Fleet, explained that Obama issued a standing order that the military was to act if the captain's life was in immediate danger.

"Our authorities came directly from the president," he said. "And the number one authority for incidents if we were going to respond was if the captain's life was in immediate danger. And that is the situation in which our sailors acted."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/12/AR2009041203002.html

It does appear that NO authorization was given to use force to free the hostage in reality. Only use of force IF the life of the hostage was in danger. Which means, the lifeboat could have drifted into Somali waters and to shore AND the Navy would not have had the authorization to effect a rescue. Thus having the hostage, still a hostage of the pirates unless his life was threatened.

glockmail
04-13-2009, 09:01 AM

It does appear that NO authorization was given to use force to free the hostage in reality. Only use of force IF the life of the hostage was in danger. Which means, the lifeboat could have drifted into Somali waters and to shore AND the Navy would not have had the authorization to effect a rescue. Thus having the hostage, still a hostage of the pirates unless his life was threatened. Knowing this, the SEALS likely took them out anyway.

red states rule
04-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Knowing this, the SEALS likely took them out anyway.

Someone had to do something. Obama was to busy having meetings, briefings, and getting advise form his Chief of Shaft who mails dead fish to his political opponents

Kathianne
04-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Considering they did take out the pirates and rescue Captain Phillips, there was no 'stand down or no lethal force order' or they wouldn't have done what they did. Since Obama would have picked up the blame if things went differently, that he's getting some credit is no biggie. Heck there's even skepticism in the reporting from MSM about how much 'credit' he should get.

red states rule
04-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Considering they did take out the pirates and rescue Captain Phillips, there was no 'stand down or no lethal force order' or they wouldn't have done what they did. Since Obama would have picked up the blame if things went differently, that he's getting some credit is no biggie. Heck there's even skepticism in the reporting from MSM about how much 'credit' he should get.

Sarcasm on

Somalia is the new Iraq.

We are in a quagmire!

sarcasm off

Kathianne
04-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Sarcasm on

Somalia is the new Iraq.

We are in a quagmire!

sarcasm off

Somalia is a failed state, a wonderful place for al Queda to hole up, if Afghanistan/Pakistan are denied them.

red states rule
04-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Somalia is a failed state, a wonderful place for al Queda to hole up, if Afghanistan/Pakistan are denied them.

This was an issue for the United Nations, not Michael Corleone.

red states rule
04-14-2009, 07:04 AM
Another liberal steps up and feels sorry for the pirates

MSNBC's Brzezinski Sympathizes With Somali Pirates
By Mike Sargent (Bio | Archive)
April 13, 2009 - 16:59 ET

Well, Bubbles has blown it again.

Joe Scarborough noted near the beginning of this morning’s “Morning Joe” that Mika Brzezinski had, on the “Joe Scarborough” radio program, expressed sympathy for the now gloriously deceased Somali pirates. The in-office NewsBusters reaction was not much different than that of Willie Geist:
JOE SCARBOROUGH: I want to ask a question. Mika, on our radio show on Friday, said she felt sorry for the pirates. Do you really feel –

WILLIE GEIST: [incredulous] You did not say that?

SCARBOROUGH: [gleefully] Yes, she did.

GEIST: [despairing] You did not say that!

First, the good news: Willie Geist was not entirely wrong. Brzezinski did not say that – on Friday. The bad news? Scarborough was actually referring to an exchange from his Thursday April 9 radio program, incorrectly attributing it to Friday

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mike-sargent/2009/04/13/msnbcs-brzezinski-sympathizes-somali-pirates